Again, U of A, Fayetteville

Ask Danny. Is that so difficult?

The ADG isn’t going to say that’s the legal name and it’s not.

Danny (who I don’t know) isn’t posting on this board. He didn’t say in this thread something that appears to simply not be true. You on the other hand HAVE been shown the LAW on the issue.

Am I stupid enough to think I couldn’t have missed something? NO. That is why I keep saying “show me where this UAF stuff is coming from.” BUT YOU WON’T. You have said this 'Danny" person says so. Well, frankly woop de do. I posted the STATUTE that named the school. Could there be something that overrides that? Yes it is possible, but NO ONE HAS POSTED ANYTHING ELSE BUT OPINIONS. A statute trumps opinions all day long. COMMON SENSE (which is very lacking now days).

By the way, give me this Danny person’s phone number and I will call and ask him. (Bet you $10 he won’t take the call or call me back). But since HE WORKS FOR THE OWNER OF THIS SITE, why don’t YOU ask him and post it? You know, REPORT, like, you know, a reporter! What a concept!

Danny Shameer
501-378-3568

Strange that a newspaper would purposefully put their sports writers in a predicament to have to defend a ludicrous editorial policy for a full year.
I’ve read that some people don’t care but I’ve also read and heard enough that many do care. The motive will come out at some point.

Lingering hard feeling over an old takeover of the states principle newspaper by its perceived upstart. It will be around until all the hard feelings have die out. Just an opinion, I may be wrong.

The announcement “Under New Management” should bring a hope for improvement; something better for the present and if not for the immediate then surely in the not to distant future. When “New Management” instead chooses to alienate large portions of their clientele through actions that appear to be and confirmed to be demeaning, those unhappy with Management’s actions will eventually seek and find new places/sources for what they seek and that comes without the belittling attitude. Businesses should profit better when they listen to their clientele and choose to cater them instead of belittling them.

The “New Management” should step back and take a look at this thread. They have generated a situation that should never have been allowed to fester as it has. It is very obvious that this will not go away anytime soon. It appears that Management does not care how many of us that associate ourselves with the UofA for whatever reason, are insulted by having to be reminded where UofA’s campus is located each time the UofA is mentioned. How forgetful do they think we are? Too bad that Clay and his contributors are caught in the middle and are not in a position to make this unfortunate situation just go away… :frowning:

StillGreg, I know wiki isn’t the best source, but here is the University of Arkansas System wikipage, and it had the official school names of each. University of Arkansas at Fayetteville is listed as the official name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers … sas_System

Reading the Wiki citation you provided it clearly states it both ways in different places. Don’t no the answer but I believe Fayetteville campus is simply The University of Arkansas. The table says differently but the text seems to make this clear. Just my take.

I haven’t had a chance to call “Danny” yet as I am not going to call from work and I have been working early and staying late. If someone can show me where legally that is the name, I will shut up about it and move on (I still think it is stupid, it isn’t necessary and it makes reading the article harder, but I will shut up). The ONLY official source I have found (not saying something else doesn’t exist, just that I haven’t found it) is the statute that I quoted earlier in this thread. I haven’t found anything else that (1) says the name was changed or (2) gives any authority to anyone, including the Board of Trustees, the authority to change it.

Yes, Wiki is not an absolutely reliable source. As already shown, our Wiki site that was referenced has conflicting information. Wiki is a nice first pass or quick and easy to locate source of information, but not always the most reliable. Someone now, after the fact, could try to clean up the existing conflicts on the Wiki site to show that when the University of Arkansas is mentioned the location of the campus is always mentioned as well. If that was to happen it would not make the Wiki source correct or reliable just because of the lack of conflicts as to how the data is presented.

I agree that someone in the know needs to provide the official/legal source information as to the designated name for the Arkansas state university that just happens to be located in the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Somewhere is located the information as to how and when the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, Arkansas, got it’s name, who legally controls the name, what is the process for modifying the name, when if ever has the name been officially/legally changed, and what are the name changes if any that have happened?

Here is the official University of Arkansas System site. They list the colleges. It says University of Arkansas, Fayetteville which is different than the others such as UALR, which is listed as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

http://uasys.edu

Since there has been complaints about other schools, I looked up the Texas system, Texas is listed as UT-Austin (the official Texas site says University of Texas at Austin). I looked up the Alabama system, Alabama (Crimson Tide) is listed as UA. I also looked up the Missouri system, it lists Mizzou as University of Missouri-Columbia.

So, the points about not using everyone’s official names does have some validity.

It is still unnecessary to use that term (University of Arkansas, Fayetteville) in writing a sports article on Razorback recruiting and in the same sentence listing the other schools as Texas, Florida, Michigan etc.

That was my point in the previous thread a couple months ago. This is a Razorback site devoted to Razorback sports. Everyone knows that the Razorbacks belong to the University of Arkansas flagship campus that happens to have always been located in Fayetteville.

If this were the news section concerning tax dollars, funds, whatever maybe it would be appropriate to make the distinction.

Again THIS IS A RAZORBACK SPORTS WEBSITE!!!

Not a University of Arkansas System Website!

It is unnecessary to make the distinction.

Writers in Texas don’t do it.
Writers in Michigan don’t do it
ESPN doesn’t do it.

It’s is still stupid regardless of whether it’s the legal name or not to use the term in sports articles on a website called WholeHogSports.

Didn’t say I disagreed, but the original reason why had been covered before, it’s because it’s on the internet and someone in Maine maybe reading and not know that the U of A is in Fayetteville.

Look, I’m not defending them doing it, but you guys complaining constantly and threatening to “take your money elsewhere” isn’t doing any good, so why not do what y’all say and leave, or drop it? It’s really that simple, bet if you all leave, they’ll change the policy, and if y’all don’t and continue to read then complain they’ll keep it, it lets them know y’all are reading.

My post wasn’t directed towards you Bake. I think most of the readers here are in agreement. I started this conversation a few months ago to get someone from this website to provide a reasonable explanation.

However the only official responses I’ve read posted by the WholeHogSports sports reporters or mods is basically something like the old Flip Wilson line…

" The Devil made me do it ". :shock:

By the way I’m not one of those guys that has threatened to do anything. Not once at all.

I think some of those are invested in the whole us vs. them thing . The GSD.
Personally I think all home games should be in Fayetteville FWIW.

But still find the UofA Fayetteville tag just plain dumb on a Razorback Sports site.

I don’t disagree with you about seeing it in every article, I’ve complained about it before. There was an article that started “The Arkansas Razorbacks” and in the very next sentence it literally said “the Razorbacks of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.” I thought that was a jab at the people that were complaining. (By the way the reporter said he didn’t put it in there, which means an editor did it)

But, as I said in my response, when we first noticed the UAF statements, it was explained that it was because the ADG is now online and someone may not know the U of A is in Fayetteville. This is true, I’ve had people from other states ask me if the football and basketball teams had different names because they were watching the University of Arkansas basketball team and they were being called the Trojans. I had to explain the Razorbacks are from Fayetteville and the Trojans are the Little Rock school.

RD said it’s the official name and people said show me. That’s why I looked up Arkansas System, and it is listed as The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Not at Fayetteville. People have also compared it to Texas, Missouri, and Bama. That’s why I looked up those three as well. I’ve actually read articles and hear Texas referenced as UT-Austin (which is what the Texas System says) and heard University of Columbia, Missouri (not how the Missery system site lists it). I’ve also heard University of Bama at Tuscaloosa said before on a football game, the University of Alabama is the only one of the four schools (we have mentioned) that is actually listed as The University of the State without a city name.

Now, that may not be what we want to hear, because we are Razorbacks and Razorback fans, but it’s a legitimate and valid reason. There are those on here, and you may not be one, that have indeed said if the policy doesn’t change they’ll leave, they’re still posting, so it may not bother them as much as they let on.

You don’t have to be a subscriber to post. I was a subscriber to the paper since the mid-nineties and did not renew last summer. So yes, it does sicken some of us to the extent we put our money where our mouths are.

By the way, when WHS had us re-register in the summer of 2016, someone stole my moniker “Snout”. I called Matt Jones and he told me to put a line after the name to distinguish. So “Snout” is not the same person as “Snout_”

I have seen the web site of the UofA system that says “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.” I admit that is the best evidence that I have seen for what the Dem-Gaz is doing. That said, if you are going on “legal names” then the fact that I have called myself “Greg” for the last 55 years doesn’t change the fact that my legal name is “Gregory.” I have cited the statute that names the schools. I don’t know anything more official than that. I haven’t been shown anything where that has ever been changed. While I don’t think the BOT has the legal authority to change the name, if someone showed me a motion passed by the BOT to name the school “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville” it would support what the Dem-Gaz is doing. But no one has shown that.

To me, the most frustrating thing about this is this site is run by REPORTERS. What are reporters supposed to be good at? Finding info and writing a story. That is what they are trained to do. Further, this web site is owned by a NEWSPAPER. What is the SOLE reason newspapers exist? To find information and publish it. Why can’t SOMEONE do a story on this and just settle the issue? It is a “knowable” fact (whatever the answer is). Instead we are stuck with “that is the name, trust us.” Well, no, I don’t “trust you” on this issue and if it really is the name, then just show us! It isn’t hard. Again, that is what reporters do!!! (Why did I have to do the research to show the statute as to the name of the school? Either (1) no reporter bothered to do it (no excuse for that, took me well less than 30 minutes) or (2) the reporters had done the research and refused to print it because it didn’t fit within their narrative.)

Lastly, I am tempted to leave, might. I know that wouldn’t break anyone’s heart or pocketbook. I don’t pretend it would. I did cancel my home Dem-Gaz subscription (due to this issue). Do I think the Dem-Gaz gives a rats butt about me doing that? No. I had made my peace with the issue for the most part when the Insiders on here were saying, “We don’t agree, just can’t change it.” I get that. But Richard suddenly deciding to defend this crap and then refusing to give a source for the “why” has reopened the wound.

I was told it has always been the ADG policy, but through change of management the ball was dropped and the use of UAF went away by some. I defended it because I talked to management about and was told what I shared with you guys.

Keep stirring proverbial pot, SGH. As a fan and former AD-G subscriber, I completely share your frustration involving the nonsense of referencing the campus location to describe Razorback sporting events. :roll: And while I haven’t done the research, the statute you have referenced in describing the legal name for the State’s flagship university easily overrides any other explanation seen so far on this thread.

Additionally, though I am not a graduate, in my opinion, the diploma received by UA graduates is more than a tad telling and underscores the literary ineptitude by redundantly referencing the campus whereabouts in a sports related context to describe the University of Arkansas.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=un … &FORM=IGRE

Go Hogs.

If you’re going to continue to use "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville ", out of respect for everyone you should be sure to use “university of Mississippi, Oxford” and so on for all of the other schools mentioned in all of your articles. It’s only fair.