Again, U of A, Fayetteville

If that’s their names, I agree

I haven’t looked at the statute cited by SGH, but an active law describing the Fayetteville campus as the “University of Arkansas” would lend itself to the lawful name of the institution. There certainly hasn’t been anything on this thread to refute the referenced statute. I would also suspect the diplomas received by UA graduates would use the legal name of the university from which they have graduated.

For various reasons given by numerous posts, in my opinion, the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville reference is redundant and poor writing practice at its finest. It is also incredibly silly, to the point of being bonehead stupid. :roll:

UA and Other Diplomas:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=un … &FORM=IGRE

Go Hogs.

This conversation has left the point. Plain and simple - it is idiotic to say The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville in every article about the Hogs in the home state newspaper. Period. I honestly don’t care what the exact legal name is of the U of A; it is obvious that this was done to either antagonize a group of fans or stir up a fake controversy to get more clicks for advertising or something.

Richard, this should be relatively easy to check to see if someone lied to you about it “went away”. Look back at articles that OH wrote to see if his editors made this same change. Look at any article since OH to see if you can find truth to what you’ve been told. I just don’t remember this “ADG policy”, or “AD policy”, or “AG policy”.

First, a whole lot of this is “relatively easy to check.” What the actual legal name is should be easy to find. I sited the only source I know. For those that say otherwise, PLEASE SHOW YOUR SOURCE (not “Bob” or “Dave” or whoever “told me.” Find the law, the Board Motion, etc. etc. As reporters, this is an easy story. They won’t do it because it will show what they have been saying is false and put their employer in a bad light. This is SAD but true. It does make you wonder about the journalistic intercity of the reporters here. That is VERY SAD but true.

Second, I have been reading the Gazette since I was a child, started reading the Democrat in the early 80’s, read them both until they were one. Have read the ADG since it was created. When I lived out of state I had a mail subscription. While I know my memory has weaknesses, I don’t recall EVER seeing “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville” or “UAF” or “University of Arkansas - Fayetteville” until this crap started. Again, could I be “misremembering”? Possible. Don’t think so.

Orville Henry never used that tag. I grew up in Little Rock and read the Gazzette and Democrat and do not recall either ever using University of Arkansas, Fayetteville in a sports reference involving the Razorbacks.

I think your point that the reporters can’t really throw their employers under the bus is a valid one. Dont know if it’s fair for their integrity be called into question. Their judgement and articulation on the subject can certainly be called into question.

Sometimes good people can get caught between a rock and a hard place. Probably not a lot of great jobs available covering Razorback recruiting. And as a guy that gets paid well to do what I love to do I can appreciate the fact that Richard gets paid well to do what he loves to do.

Richard may argue differently on the PAID WELL part :wink:

This obviously has been a hot issue for me. I have taken this site and its reporters to task about it. I maintain that the name of the school, legally, is “The University of Arkansas.” All that said, I will say that I got an email today from the fundraising side of the University (not sports). It comes in from “University of Arkansas, Fayetteville <planned_giving@uark.giftlegacy.com>”

In the spirit of fairness I wanted to put that out there.

I still FIRMLY believe that the name of the school is “The University of Arkansas.” I do understand why the school, for giving purposes, wants to make sure the money goes to the school at Fayetteville, not the system as a whole. Therefore the “Fayetteville.” I heard a story about two brothers who both married girls name Carol. For the rest of their lives the two woman were referred to by the brothers family as “Bob’s Carol” or “Tim’s Carol” in order to make clear who was doing what, etc. Did that change the women’s names? NO. It was used for clarification when necessary. It wouldn’t be used when not necessary (I am sure “Bob’s Carol” was not called that by HER family, to them she was just “Carol.”)

I think this whole argument is much to do about nothing.

Do I think it’s foolish to have to clarify the University of Arkansas by adding Fayetteville to it? Yes. But, I also think it’s just a foolish for some on here to get all hot and bothered by it. My fandom isn’t going to be affected by adding Fayetteville to UofA. I mean, that is where the university is, so adding it isn’t that big of a deal.

I also hate it when people threaten or make some big statement about them pulling their money away from said product because something happens they don’t like. I hate when people do that for churches, schools, and charities also. If you have a legit complaint, then feel free to voice it to those necessary or let your lack of funding do the talking for you. Just don’t have these notions of grandeur by proclaiming it to everybody else.

For the record, I understand that this issue doesn’t bother some. Second, I for one sure have no illusions of grandeur. No one here or at the ADG will care if I go away.

Lastly, agree this issue in no way affects my “fandom.” I do honestly think adding “Fayetteville” to the end of the name does marginalize the school and I think in the long run could have a negative effect. There is a reason ASU fans want the school to be called University of Arkansas, Fayetteville"

If some folk choose to refer to my bathroom as an “indoor privy”, a “bathing station”, a “urinary easement”, a “necessary room”, a “hygiene closet” or by any other asinine alternative nomenclature, their insistent renaming of my facility will not affect the pragmatic nature of my bathroom. Since it’s MY house, and MY bathroom, I emphatically feel that I have the inherent right to refer to it by MY choice of universally descriptive labeling.

For me, The University Of Arkansas is just that; - - - The University Of Arkansas. It’s not "The Natural State Institution Of Higher Learning In Fayetteville, Arkansas, or "The Retinue Of Rambunctious Razorback Roustabouts In Fayetteville, Arkansas.

It’s The University Of Arkansas. Period. End of story.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=un … ORM=IARRTH

Enough said.

Go Hogs.