Jeff Long talks about football, Bobby Petrino, future schedules

Did you see the Jeff Long video by WHS? Folks, all I can say is that this week is the biggest game for UA football in a Long time. We have been trying to climb out of a rat hole for years and fighting each others along the way for the best way back to the top. Well win Saturday and we will be on that mountain.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016 … y-petrino/”>http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/sep/21/video-jeff-long-talks-about-football-bobby-petrino/</LINK_TEXT>

Yes this is the biggest game in a Long time. If we play our game, we’ll be there at the end. Would be fitting for Hedlund to nail a game ender

Long was asked by a questioner at the Little Rock Touchdown Club if he was going to recuse himself off his position on the Playoff Committee concerning the possibility of participation by Louisville. Long said no. Long was then asked if he was surprised by the success of Petrino at Louisville. Long said no to that and then gave a more or less obligatory polite explanation. No one on this board that I have ever seen has ever questioned Petrino’s ability to coach football. It is about every other facet of being a college football coach that gives him trouble. I wish your role on this board was just to respond to questions about Petrino instead of bringing him up 24/7 to ad nauseum.

To me the more interesting topic is the Texas A&M game remaining in Dallas after 2024. As some of you may know, Texas A&M wished to make that game home & home after they entered the SEC. TAMU even did so for one two year home & home cycle. The series was only renewed as a concession to Arkansas for agreeing to relinquish LSU as our last regular season rival game right after Thanksgiving. TAMU wanted LSU for that game to replace Texas historically and they now have it. We changed to Missouri. One would think 2024 would be the end of that game in Dallas. However who knows with Arkansas losing it most or every year? Arkansas was winning pre-SEC against TAMU back when they earlier changed it.

This is a biggest game yet of this young season. But more tests to over come throughout the year. I am not very confident in this game. I hope the Hogs win but I am not totally confident in them doing so. We need to get over the hump. If we lose we are headed for 6-7 wins this season. In my opinion if BB doesn’t get us to at least 10 wins this year he needs to be gone. NO MORE MEDIOCRE. We are becoming more and more acceptable of mediocre.

[quote=“WarHog38”]
Long was asked by a questioner at the Little Rock Touchdown Club if he was going to recuse himself off his position on the Playoff Committee concerning the possibility of participation by Louisville. Long said no. Long was then asked if he was surprised by the success of Petrino at Louisville. Long said no to that and then gave a more or less obligatory polite explanation. No one on this board that I have ever seen has ever questioned Petrino’s ability to coach football. It is about every other facet of being a college football coach that gives him trouble. I wish your role on this board was just to respond to questions about Petrino instead of bringing him up 24/7 to ad nauseum.

[color=#FF0040]To me the more interesting topic is the Texas A&M game remaining in Dallas after 2024. As some of you may know, Texas A&M wished to make that game home & home after they entered the SEC. TAMU even did so for one two year home & home cycle. The series was only renewed as a concession to Arkansas for agreeing to relinquish LSU as our last regular season rival game right after Thanksgiving. TAMU wanted LSU for that game to replace Texas historically and they now have it. We changed to Missouri. One would think 2024 would be the end of that game in Dallas. However who knows with Arkansas losing it most or every year? Arkansas was winning pre-SEC against TAMU back when they earlier changed it.
[/quote][/color]

[color=#000000]I would like to see that game go back to home and home, if we could schedule a different game in Dallas. I would support sooner rather than later. It would give us an extra game in the state every other year.[/color]

Fitting would be a rout a la Louisville style over FSU. Maybe not that bad of a rout but a sure fire go in and kick some butt, take a few names, hop on the bus only to say to media we glad to get the W but we must get ready for Alcorn State.

Geeeeezzzzz and yet we just keep getting better… :roll:

Not really sure if ten wins would satisfy some people for long here :lol:

[quote=“MultipleScoreGasms”]

I agree, and I felt that way the moment it became a conference game. The losing has only heightened my concern. The SEC now requires a P5 OOC game each season for every SEC team I think mostly to compensate for the 8 Game SEC Conference Schedule. Most P5 conferences have 9 Game Conference Schedules and the SEC front office did not want their 8 game schedule to inhibit SEC teams on their selection by the Playoff Committee. Arkansas has apparent got a big headache currently on fulfilling that SEC obligation of a OOC P5 game due to the actions of Michigan. Long maybe could be the architect of sitting up a Texas, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas Tech rotation for that OOC P5 game in Dallas after 2024. Oklahoma already plays yearly in Dallas but they do love and dine on Texas recruiting. However who knows if the Big 12 will exist after 2024. Looks like it will not and therefore some of those schools I mentioned might not even be P5.

Of course more test are to come, but we talking about today. I am old school and believe you play the games to win now. Now lets put the sanity meter on your statement… assume Hogs lose, and they won’t. write dat down. They would be 4-1 to finish 6-6 they would have to finish 2 - 5. so 3 or 4 wins and your statement would be wrong. Which of the 4 do thing they are likely to lose?

1. Alcorn State
  2. Auburn
  3. Miss Stae
  4. Mizzou

Further why would you discount CBB & Hogs from going winning at least 1 if not 2 against:

1. Miss
  2. LSU
  3. Florida

So Tawtam, my friend; the worst case assuming losses to A&M at Bama is Hogs going 8-4. Your Opinion, In My Opinion is Invalidated by Logical Future Facts :mrgreen: Now beat A&M CBB may get 10 wins. Either way, he is not going anywhere unless he lies to Long or become disaster on the field.

11-1 didn’t because we lost to Alabama and didn’t even win the SEC West, we played no defense and was going down in the ground real fast. :lol: But no worries, we are on right track now, those disdain days should never return. :ugeek:

“NO MORE MEDIOCRE” How about Mike Anderson? How long does he have to win an NCAA 2nd Round Tournament Game? How many exact years? We have sure been mediocre in basketball long enough. Never coming close to winning SEC Championships or nothing. Let’s clean house due to mediocrity even when our major sport’s head coaching jobs have been like revolving doors the last several decades. We must settle for some mediocrity to ever have any hope of achieving winning stability. Who would Arkansas get anyway? Outbid everybody looking for a new coach after this season for the Houston coach? No Thanks.

With the recruiting Mike has done and the future the razorback BB team has why question him now. You can’t change the past. Yeah who would we get. Who would want to be here and work hard. Not Dana Altman.

Setting the bar at 10 wins or Bielema should get the axe is what got my response above. I am not setting bars for any coach, much less high ones like that. I know tawtam well from the other board, a staunch defender of Anderson and always calling for Bielema’s head. He told us what he expected out of Bielema. I just wanted to know his expectations for Anderson as well of course with the same punishment he had for the football coach. I agree, Anderson has been doing some great recruiting lately. I do hope that translates to success on the court in a few years.

For the same reason they questioned him before he was hired. Hate trumps love. But we may not be allowed to squeal that with any hog authority on this site?

First of all the conversation is about football not BB. BB hasn’t had one…NOT ONE team end the season ranked. At the least the basketball team has had that. And yes The reason why we have been mediocre for years is because of Frank Broyles firing of Nolan. But that’s another subject.

You are the biggest liar. This is the first year I have EVER called for ANY coaches head. Please, copy any post last year, the year before that I ever called for any coaches head. It’s been fans like you that hate on MA and don’t have those same expectations for football. I have them for both.

Hate Trumps love. this is not a political site so keep that moving. Because that man has no love for minorities. Stick with sports.

We keep staying mediocre. Every year people are satisfied with 7-8 wins. By the way last years 8 win came against a team that had to win their last game to get into a bowl. KS was not very good so that was a gimme game. Sure we beat LSU and Ole Miss by luck but we also had horrible loses to Toledo and Tech. One or two games don’t make a season.

So when should we expect a 10 win season? When should we expect to be ranked at the end of the season? If not in his 4th year at Arkansas when? Or is it just alright to have 7-8 wins and playing in the lowest bowls every year?

I really think Arkansas is going to have to have a dual threat QB to have the sustained type success you allude to. Sadly that type QB may have just went out the door up there. Maybe AA can get the job done to get us off on the right foot. He is certainly off to the right start. Anyhow I have talked about the Allens and the QB position enough, no sense in going over and over that. AA is giving no one basis to complain. Not even you. The Allen era will pass and so will the time remaining on Bielema’s contract. You are not hearing about contract extensions. The clock is ticking but nobody is putting up 10 win ultimatums for this season.