Head coach options?

It looks like we started playing 10-game schedules in 1933. That also happened to be our first bowl season, so we played 11 that year. But from 1932 moving back, we had played 9 or fewer. If my math is correct, this is the 85th season we will have played 10 or more games, so it’s 12 out of 85. But we never won 10 until 1964, so that would be 12 out of the last 54.

The list of 10 or 11 win seasons:
1977 (11 wins)
(should have been 1982 but we got screwed at SMU)
2011 (11)

If I’m not mistaken, that same Wis team/philosophy beat the Hogs in a bowl game with the Hogs best set of running backs that ever dawned Hog outfits.

And are you referring to the same coach who has never beaten a good defensive team yet? The same one who has a Heisman winning quarterback but lost to Kentucky and Houston last year? You talking about that coach?

Is that the same coach who never finished better than 3rd in the Western Division of the SEC conference, when there were only 6 teams in that division?

Your 5 star comment is pure bulls–t. A team doesn’t have to stock up on 5 star players to win 9 or 10 game per year. After Bama, OSU, Fla St, LSU, USC, and Clemson clean out with their haul of 5 star players, there are not many left for the rest. The 5 star players are obviously great if they pan out, no doubt. But it’s stocking the 4 star players like the above teams do that make them contenders every year.

And there are teams that pretty regularly win 9 or 10 games a year and seldom sign 5 star players and certainly don’t have a roster stocked with 4 star players either. Some are: Wisconsin, Michigan St, TCU, OkSt, Baylor until their coach screwed up. Oklahoma could also be included, they’ve only signed one 5 star player in the last three classes, but they do sign a ton of 4 star players.

A given coach may never contend for a NC; however, if he is competent, can identify his system, and will recruit players that fit his system, and above all have speed. . .he could win 9 or 10 games per year.

Size is great but speed is essential; our coach hasn’t figured that part out yet. Of course there are lot more problems than just a lack of speed.

I’ll be glad when Kirk goes to the NFL. He’s kicked our arse every year since and including his freshman year. All because of cheetah-like speed and moves.

Hmm, I do believe he beat LSU in 2010, their defense was ranked 13th, and they also finished 2nd in the SEC West that year, and went to the Sugar Bowl, but yep, I believe that’s who I’m talking about.

That’s all the more reason to hire Lunney.

The Fire Bret threads came up last year. A comment was made that Lunney and Smith would be the only two that should be retained if a coaching change occurred. Can’t say I disagree, but again I think Bret is safe this year and probably next year, unless we lose to New Mexico St, Coastal Carolina, and Missery

If losing to NM St can result in Bielema being fired then so be it!

After the season is over, schedule a meeting with Nick Saban. Ask him for his recommendation on a HC to turn the Football Program at Arkansas around that will compete well in the SEC.

I’ve listened to Nick Saban on the Radio, and I think that he is a Straight Shooter. Don’t even think about trying to Get Nick, but he may have someone in mind to turn Arkansas around. It might even be one of his Staff, but at any rate, I would centainly ask his advice and recommendation.

He’s really busy right now, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask him now to be on the lookout for a New Head Coach for Arkansas.

I’m saying this because I want Arkansas to be competitive in the SEC. The SEC is a Really Tough Conference, that’s for sure, but I know with the Right Leadership The Arkansas Razorback’s can again be a Great Football Team.

Go Hog’s Go

Nick Saban does not care about Arkansas’ best interest.

DogHog,

The SEC is a Brotherhood of Southern College FootBall Team’s. If I thought that Mr Saban would mislead Arkansas I wouldn’t have mentioned him to help Arkansas be able to compete in the SEC.

He’ll either help you right out, or tell you that he can’t help you Right Out.

You Guy’s need some help, and not from a Yankee. You are in the SEC, and SEC is the SOUTH.

Nick is not going to hand over his Playbook, but I would look to him, as he is the Top Winning Head Coach in the SEC Period. It is in the Best Interest of the SEC to have Strong FootBall Program’s so that We Reap the Benefit’s when we Play Bowl Game’s. Also on that Note, take a look at the Past Record of Arkansas W/L in Bowl Game’s

The Razorback’s need some help and Fast, because at your current rate, the FootBall Program is Going to Hell in a Handbasket (So To Speak).

Get Smart and Realize that the Road that You are on is going to the Bottom. You are not in the SWC anymore. You are in the SEC and it’s Root Hog or Die Trying.

Go Hog’s Go

Heheheh…Saban is a Yankee

Nope,

Born in Fairmont West Virginia, which is South of the Mason Dixon Line. :smiley:

West Virginia seceded from Virginia and fought for the North in the Civil War. Mason-Dixon was made before the war when Virginia was one unified state.

Since BB became coach at Arkansas in 2013, they are 10-23 in the SEC. Only Vanderbilt at 9-24 and Kentucky at 9-25 have been worse. And that’s not a good look.
Brett McMurphy on SDS.
He also goes on the mention that JL is not even thinking about a coaching change.
JL is praying that with the very easy schedule next year BB will win some games and make ol jeffy look good . We are one or two games from being the worst team in the SEC since BB has been here…can you do any worse if we bring in a new coach ??? That math is not hard to do.

Your guessing at best when it comes to Jeff Long.

And YES!!! It can get a lot worse if we fired Bielema now. You think Sabans and Sweeneys grow on trees. If you fire Bielema now, with his buyout, you have to score a home run of a hire. Considering the SEC schools alone that might be looking for a new coach(schools with more money BTW), who do you think we can get that will be a home run? If we hired someone else and they end up just the same or worse, then we’ll be stuck for years to come. Again yes, it could get worse.

Arkansas profited 35 million in 2015-2016. They have plenty of money. Continuous losing will be far worse for the program than changing coaches. We are already grouped with the Vanderbilt’s and Kentucky’s of football, and pretty soon we might be the bottom feeder of the league. We don’t need a Saban or Swinney, just someone who can better than Bielema.

Was that 35 million just for football? If not, we have other programs that need attention, not just football.

And you, like everybody else, are guessing that we will be better off with someone else. You can’t know that. I’m not saying we can’t or shouldn’t make a move eventually(if needed) or that fear should stop us from looking elsewhere. BUT, we as a fan base need to stop and think a minute before demanding someone be fired and then we will be magically better. I’m still in the camp of lets wait till the season plays out and then see where we are at to determine where we might need to go.

I have not demanded anything, and I have stated several times in my posts that a decision should be made depending on how the season plays out. Any decision would be a risk, but sometimes they are necessary. The point that I was trying to make is that Arkansas is not poor financially compared to other programs.

Nick Saban may or may not care about what is in the best interest of Arkansas. However, regardless of the coach, he is not concerned about Arkansas; therefore, I believe he would give his best advice.

You act as if there are no consequences to firing BB. If you put the athletic budget in a hole, then you can’t afford to pay the new staff what you’d like. You have to hire a lower level coach, who accepts less and the whole staff as well. Plus, you forget that BB is doing things the way the University President wants them to be done (academics, no trouble, no scandals). If you want something to change at the athletic level, you have to go with the president themselves - the board is the one who he/she answers to. When they are mad, you’ll see a change roll down the hill. Until then, the president is delighted with the scholar athlete results.