Coaching Names to Watch

Next year will be year 6. Safe to say we tried. Watch the seasoning of Philip Montgomery (Tulsa) and mike Norvell (Memphis). Add TCU OC to that list. Lincoln Riley is proof the leach tree works. The TCU OC is off that tree. Both he and Montgomery have Texas connections. I see us grabbing an up and comer or dipping into NFL next go around…unfortunately it will be late 2018/2019. I’m sad this experiment failed. The players are failing good coaches. It’s broken all over the place right now.

Why go after these guys? JLS (and Long) left this program in a burning dumpster. We are in a world of hurt. Bret is not a bad guy. He is way over his head in this league. His recruiting is not good. The kids aren’t prepared. Sadly for him, he’s not an upper tier coach. We need big time coaches. Here’s my short list.

Stoops, Miles, Peterson, Gundy. I’ve seen posts on social media about Mike Leach. OMG what a joke. This is the U of A. Let’s go big. WPS.

Stoops is retiring and won only one NC in what 20 years at Oklahoma, what do you honestly think he could do at Arkansas? Miles, there is a reason he is unemployed. Peterson is killing it at Washington, why would he take a demotion to come to Arkansas? I like Gundy, but he backed out on us to stay at OSU, he won’t leave. What is wrong with Leach? He is a winner everywhere he goes!

Chip Kelly should be atop of our list of coaches to pursue. After that I think you look at up and comers like Norvell or Montgomery, depending on their success this year. Two other names to look at are Bob Davie and Willie Fritz. A name not mentioned, but who I think would be an interesting hire is Paul Johnson from Ga Tech

Chip Kelly is obviously #1.

Jeff Brohm
Frank Wilson
Philip Montgomery
Chad Morris
Dave Aranda
Brent Venables
Major Applewhite

it’s an interesting situation when discussing the right coaching fit for UA. When I think about it, I try to think the way a coach might when considering the job…I mean think about it. Who is in your division? Bama, LSU, Auburn. Those are HUGE recruiting magnets…really don’t have to be a great recruiter at those schools, just be able to close the deal. Why would a recruit want to come to UA? All things being equal, UA has everything to offer as the others. So what is the differentiator? The coach, the system, moving players to the NFL? I think CBB thought about all of that and tried to market himself, his system, his results…same as any other potential coach. Problem is, he has not delivered the W’s, although maybe he has delivered somewhat on the rest. So we need someone that can 1) flat out coach…track record of producing results regardless the *'s; 2) can compete for recruits looking at the big three in our division. Who is that? not sure. I see some names listed that might fit that…probably would have to be a big, established name coach.
Also notice that there is seemingly more parity in college football. Why? because players are being told SEC is not strong, Bama is. there is Bama, then there are the rest. Players that want to get into National Championship consideration are leaving for other power 5 conferences, so the coach has to deal with that reality as well.

Just some thoughts.

Honestly, what’s the point of having this discussion. There is no job opening. And even if their were, any name thrown out will probably not be the person anyway. Did anybody have Bielema as an option when Petrino was fired? Point is, don’t worry about till that time comes and that time hasn’t come yet.

I would take Leach, the Mad Pirate in a heart beat. He would have to find a way to pick it up on the defensive side.

And you’re right on Stoops, Miles and Peterson. Matter of fact Peterson and Gundy passed on us when BB was hired.

First, you came here by choice…no one made you or forced you. You don’t think it time to discuss? Don’t participate…up to you.

Second, why can’t we discuss? Seems ligit to many of us that CBB should feel the burn of a very hot seat, no? I’ve gone out of my way to be devoid of emotion and stick to facts. Fact is, W’s and L’s tell all you need to know. As well as recruiting rankings, etc. Another fact…there are coaches and AD’s out there that not only call BS about immediate coaching success (in first year) but have done it. Those are facts.

Maybe a little early since as you point out there is technically no opening, but not too early to discuss what direction we feel the program should go in.

First, I asked a simple question and then referenced why there was no point.

Second, I didn’t say you couldn’t discuss anything, I just said there was no point to this discussion because there is no job opening, even if Bielema’s seat is hot.

Again, there’s no point in discussing a coaching change when there is no job and I’ll also say again, it probably won’t be anybody anyone is talking about if there was an opening.

Well then, if somehow you found that you have the right to speak your mind about a hypothetical coach being hired here (after game 2), then everyone else has the right to believe that this thread is idiotic and a waste of damn time.

Yet, if it makes you feel better to play that game then go ahead and play it. Stupid as it may seem, none of you on here would be happy with whoever came. You’d bitch’n’moan about something right when they were hired, then complain about play-calling, defense, special teams, recruiting (roll my eyes), special teams, the stadium, the food vendor in the stadium, the weather, why they don’t play marquee games in Little Rock anymore, why Tusk is too grey in color, and (insert complaint here), etc.

Face it - you’re a pisspoor fan. Everyone of you who chide on this board are. Nothing you say or do will change the way things are for this football program. You criticize everything that is related to the team, and wish for something that is never going to be here. All the while, believing that the Hogs should be as great as other programs and don’t know why they are not.

If you haven’t studied the realities of this program then you’ll never understand why the outcomes are the same every year. You cannot run a program based on emotion (fire them all), because you don’t have the money to do all of the things you want.

And why the heck would you want Chip Kelley to come here? Do you think there wouldn’t be some big time difficulties running his philosophy with our current roster? Want to wait another four years to try and get some decent results? That what happens when you make poor choices over and over. Tennessee ran off Philip Fulmer and they’ve been in football purgatory for doing that as well. Think Ole Miss won’t be going down the toliet for their cheating scandals - they will. Want to see your Hogs be even more irrelevant then ask to hire someone who skirts the system until they are caught.

If you need to feal relavent because of the team you cheer for then be a Bama fan or an Ohio State fan, or Michigan fan.

Nothing like losing three in a row to power five opponents to get fans telling other fans how to be a fan.

Well for such a waste of damn time you sure typed a lot. By the way typing more than the next guy doesn’t make you right.

You don’t know me, nor do you know anyone else that posts here so I don’t appreciate being accused of all the things you claim to know about me and others. I’ve said many times emotions need to be taken out of evaluation of a coaches performance, but you seem to have missed that. Look at the record, it will tell you all you need to know about the performance of the football program. I have nothing against any of those guys…hell I don’t know them. I only see the results, records, etc. Not too good.

By the way this is supposed to be for fun…you seem to get really upset about this stuff. Perhaps you should look into something else…you may not have the stomach for this. :slight_smile:

Chris Klieman - North Dakota State (the guy can coach FOOTBALL and he’ll be cheap while buying out Bielema)
Gus Malzahn
Les Miles
Charlie Strong

Somewhere there is a young outstanding coach if only we knew who?

Not that I think we will be looking for a head coach next year, but if we did… I would say Greg Schiano at Ohio State. Former Rutgers head coach and former Tampa bay head coach. If I were dreaming, I would say chip Kelly, but not because of his offense, but because of his recruiting, especially as a first job back to college, his first year, he would get a top class. He had a bunch of kids from Texas up at Oregon, he would recruit the area well, especially since A&m, Baylor, ole miss, and Texas are down.

Why do Arkansas fans complain about being mediocre, but then only offer up mediocre coaches as replacements?

I have read all the names of coaches submitted on a wish list…I still believe in CBB and his staff, I hate losing as much or more than anyone. If you watch your recording of the TCU game as I did, several times,

1. I saw a Razorback defense bending but not breaking most of the game, until at the end when the game was out of reach, attempting to strip the ball does not fare well. It was a team effort on the part of TCU in all 3 phases…TCU has a potential top ten defense if not top five.
  2. my assessment of the Arkansas offense, this offense will click against TAM, it’s a defense that the Razorbacks have success against, against TCU would have been different but TCU loaded the box against the run and the speed of the game kept timing off in the passing game. TCU has a very good speed rush against an OLine still unsure of the blocking scheme. They will get it right against TAM.
  3. special teams need some special attention…
  4. Coaches get back to the basics and keep it simple, hold closed door meetings and shut down social media…too much negativity
  5. WPS Go Pigs

Where exactly did you see me complain about us being mediocre? Can you put it in quotes for me cause i don’t see it. Or maybe learn to comprehend what you read… noredink.com is a great website that can help you with that. Who of my two suggestions should you consider being mediocre? Which former successful college coach who went on to be a pro football coach is mediocre?

Well then, if somehow you found that you have the right to speak your mind about a hypothetical coach being hired here (after game 2), then everyone else has the right to believe that this thread is idiotic and a waste of damn time.

Yet, if it makes you feel better to play that game then go ahead and play it. Stupid as it may seem, none of you on here would be happy with whoever came. You’d bitch’n’moan about something right when they were hired, then complain about play-calling, defense, special teams, recruiting (roll my eyes), special teams, the stadium, the food vendor in the stadium, the weather, why they don’t play marquee games in Little Rock anymore, why Tusk is too grey in color, and (insert complaint here), etc.

Face it - you’re a pisspoor fan. Everyone of you who chide on this board are. Nothing you say or do will change the way things are for this football program. You criticize everything that is related to the team, and wish for something that is never going to be here. All the while, believing that the Hogs should be as great as other programs and don’t know why they are not.

If you haven’t studied the realities of this program then you’ll never understand why the outcomes are the same every year. You cannot run a program based on emotion (fire them all), because you don’t have the money to do all of the things you want.

And why the heck would you want Chip Kelley to come here? Do you think there wouldn’t be some big time difficulties running his philosophy with our current roster? Want to wait another four years to try and get some decent results? That what happens when you make poor choices over and over. Tennessee ran off Philip Fulmer and they’ve been in football purgatory for doing that as well. Think Ole Miss won’t be going down the toliet for their cheating scandals - they will. Want to see your Hogs be even more irrelevant then ask to hire someone who skirts the system until they are caught.

If you need to feal relavent because of the team you cheer for then be a Bama fan or an Ohio State fan, or Michigan fan.

Are you Houston Nutt?

Heheheheheh…yes. Nailed it…