Coach E raise

Generally speaking I like Coach Enos and I certainly don’t want him to leave. But didn’t his offense get shut out in the second half of 3 of our last four games? (LSU, Mizz, VT) Does this season truly warrant a raise? I guess I am old school but there seems to be way too much money in college ball these days!

Personally I think it was the right move to make sure we retain Coach E. Cant blame the 2nd half Int’s and fumbles on the Coach. We sputtered some yes when momentum was swung the other way for sure.
I think without Enos we may not have been in most games anyway.
All it takes is a little leverage of outside interest these days to up the anti for coaches across the board everywhere.

He’s a very good coach and deserved it. IMHO… Our defense was so bad, everyone knew Arkansas had to throw for most of the 2nd half, and if people know what you’re going to do, good teams will stop it. And the OL especially Skipper gets a lot of accolades, I’m not sure why, because A. Allen took a serious beating in a couple of those games… I would give them a C- on the yr to be honest. In fact, I can’t think of any unit I would give a Aor B too, we sucked everywhere. The whole team sucked…

I am sorry but no coach on that staff deserves a raise. Our offense failed to score in two consecutive second halves; both times leading to defeat. If Dan Enos can find greener pastures elsewhere, so be it. There is a guy on that staff who could do a better job already. In 1995, he led us to our first victory over Alabama in school history. As a freshman, he made crucial plays in the fourth quarter in Knoxville Tennessee leading to a winning field goal. We beat the 4th ranked Volunteers that day. He is a native Arkansan. We need more of him and less of the mercenary type coaches we have been subjected to as a result of Bret Bielema’s Big Ten mentality.

What is more troubling is that our athletic department is so fat and loose with its (really our) money that raises are handed out like popcorn at an Arvest bank on Fridays. While Dan Enos has done some very good things with our offense in giving it more of a “west coast” type flavor, our offensive performances are terribly inconsistent. The Missouri and Virginia Tech games provide ample evidence of such inconsistency.

If I was that inconsistent, I would not be getting a raise in my business. In fact, I would probably get a pay cut if I was allowed to keep my job. Unfortunately for Razorback fans, our Athletic Director does not really understand that kind of reality when it comes to compensating our coaches or just as importantly, when it comes to retaining the worthy ones with reasonable buy out packages.

Ahhhhhh…No :roll:

It ain’t our money. It’s tv money. Don’t like it…go into coaching…and be good at it.

It has always been my understanding that salary raises and bonuses are predicated on overachievement and superlative accomplishment results. Perhaps that universal business standard is not applicable to bigtime sports programs. It is apparently not applicable at The University Of Arkansas.

I’m rather reminded of my satellite TV service. I’ve been with DISH for about five years now. When I first contracted with DISH, I paid $19.99 per month for the first years’ service for 200 channels. Two years ago, after a brief plateau of $39.99 per month for one year, my bill increased to $47.99 per month for the same 200 channels. I am currently paying $67.99 per month for 120 channels, and I am definitely feeling abused and taken advantage of. I live in a rural area which affords me two choices; DISH or Direct TV. - - - - Yes, I’ve comparison shopped with Direct TV; I would gain NOTHING economically by switching.

Coaches’ salaries appear to be economically linked to satellite TV service. The fan base is going to continually pay more and more for the same (or lesser) quality of service as time goes on.

I hear people constantly complaining about the high cost of living these days; - - - - but they keep paying it.

Unfortunately, coaches’ salaries, especially those of assistants, are driven by competition. We can debate all night whether CDE deserved a raise or not, but if Arkansas was going to keep him, the Hogs had to ante up. Is that right? Not according to most of our standards, but that’s big-time college football. I guess the question is how much are you willing to pay to keep CDE? How much would this board be moaning if he had left and complained that CBB can’t keep assistants or doesn’t do enough to keep them? I’m not defending it, just looking at the reality. I’m on a fixed income; big-time college sports with its ever increasing prices left me way behind years ago.

TV money is our money too. I pay for the SEC Network, ESPN and all the other networks that carry our games. I imagine you do as well. It’s my opinion that Enos has done as much as he can here. If he can do better elsewhere and wants to leave, let him go. We need guys who bleed Razorback red; not heartless mercenaries who don’t know or care about what to do when our offense goes limp at crucial times of the game(s). In my opinion, we have a guy on staff who would do a better job because he has won games for us at places where we have never won before and have rarely won since.

Coach Herb getting as raise is laughable at best.
His teams have been soft as butter with too many injuries.
All that hype , when the freaks come out, is overated BS
Please correct me if I’m wrong, Doesn’t this coach spend the most time with the players?
I think a lot of the blame points straight to him with the late season collapses.

But Hell, give them all raises, that’s exactly what my boss does when we underachieve.

What do you suggest? Would love to hear your solution.

I’m not in the coaching profession. I can only compare it to a business model. When margins aren’t rising Employees don’t get a 10k bump in pay.

Coach B is the CEO, he obviously doesn’t see Coach Herb being a problem.

“sink or swim”

[quote=“Swinefinder”]
I am sorry but no coach on that staff deserves a raise. Our offense failed to score in two consecutive second halves; both times leading to defeat. If Dan Enos can find greener pastures elsewhere, so be it. There is a guy on that staff who could do a better job already. In 1995, he led us to our first victory over Alabama in school history. As a freshman, he made crucial plays in the fourth quarter in Knoxville Tennessee leading to a winning field goal. We beat the 4th ranked Volunteers that day. He is a native Arkansan. We need more of him and less of the mercenary type coaches we have been subjected to as a result of Bret Bielema’s Big Ten mentality.

What is more troubling is that our athletic department is so fat and loose with its (really our) money that raises are handed out like popcorn at an Arvest bank on Fridays. While Dan Enos has done some very good things with our offense in giving it more of a “west coast” type flavor, our offensive performances are terribly inconsistent. The Missouri and Virginia Tech games provide ample evidence of such inconsistency.

If I was that inconsistent, I would not be getting a raise in my business. In fact, I would probably get a pay cut if I was allowed to keep my job. Unfortunately for Razorback fans, our Athletic Director does not really understand that kind of reality when it comes to compensating our coaches or just as importantly, when it comes to retaining the worthy ones with reasonable buy out packages.
[/quote]Arvest bank has popcorn on Fridays? :o

Or he honored the contract that was offered and signed.

I don’t have a strong opinion on this issue. I will say we have all seen Wall Street companies that have had a very bad year still give bonus to certain people, even people in charge of departments that did poorly. The theory being that they are good talented people who needed to be kept. That the bad results would have been worse without the people in question.

Is that a correct approach? I don’t doubt it can be at times. I don’t doubt it is the wrong decision at times. Don’t know the answer this time.

Guys, Coach Enos and Coach Herb did not get a raise for what occurred this season, it was simply the way their contract was structured. They get a bump in pay every year. In Coach Herb’s defense, I didn’t see a problem with strength and conditioning this year. What I saw was 3 new starters on the o-line( especially the guards) missing their assignments and getting confused. The o-line did make strides as the season went on. On the defensive side of the ball I saw a lot of players out of position and using bad angles. And to make matters worse Robb Smith simply refused to be aggressive for more than about 8 to 10 plays a game. These arguments being made simply doesn’t have legs.

If these raises are contractual, then who writes to contracts? Therein lies the problem.

Its the sign of the times and these type of contracts are not unique to just AR.

The instigator of these contracts needs to make sure that these coaches produce results commensurate with their compensation. That simply has not happened. What other athletic directors do is of no consequence to me.

There were 14 other assistants in the SEC that made more money the Coach Enos. Out of 28 coordinators in the SEC, CDE was 15th in salary. Coaches like Jim Chaney, Travaris Robinson, Mel Tucker, and Bob Shoop all cashed in better than CDE did. The vitriol you people spew out is almost comical.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie … /assistant