Arkansas vs. Mizzou

Here is my issue with some of the “fouling” yesterday. I do believe we had some bad fouls. One particular foul that we’ve had in every game this year is off a switch, a guard cuts to the basket, has an open shot and the guy chasing him fouls him with no chance of stopping him from getting the shot off. Our SR’s even do this. This drives me absolutely mad because it gives them an extra point EVERYTIME!

Yesterday, however, there were some fouls called on us, such as Cook’s hand checking that was also occurring on the opposite end without a single call. Even the announcers (who seemed to have some Missery bias) was questioning why Missery was getting away with fouls. There was indeed a bias yesterday, but some of the individuals on here screaming “Don’t blame the refs” are usually only here after a loss saying the same thing. They’re always wrong, and they are again today.

A few weeks back with 8 games left, I made the statement I thought we’d end up 6-2 with a possibility of 7-1 if we beat MO. Many of those posting told me no way, impossible. Ummmm…didn’t we finish 6-2?

I’ve said this multiple times this week. This time of year is all about matchups. No matter how games worked out yesterday, we would have had a bad matchup Thursday or Friday. Same people complaining today will be complaining Friday. A few claim is a Sweet 16 too much to ask? Care to bet if we make the Sweet 16 and lose they’ll complain it’s not good enough?

The only way to correct the problems mentioned is change the man at the top. MA is a good guy but not a good coach. One of these days it will get corrected even if we have to wait until he retires. He needs to be in the bleachers watching the games with Nolan talking about the old days!!!

as a hog fan i’ve come to accept that on most occasions we will get the short end with the refs. what i find troubling this season is that the refs are increasingly calling fouls on the hogs that radically alter the momentum of the game. the foul differential wasnt too egregious in the MO game but the types of fouls called on the different teams was abhorrent. most fouls on us were called when we were making a run or had some momentum, also most of our fouls were shooting fouls for them, whereas the fouls called on Mo seemingly had no impact on the game and were non-shooting fouls before we got into the bonus. i will reference the play when the player from MO was hurt on the 3 point shot by Jones. we were making a run and the P was in our favor. the player obviously ran into Jones on the shot with no foul called, granted Jones kicks his feet when he shoots, but many players shoot like that now to simply draw fouls. officiating didnt solely cost us the game but it sure hurt us.

You show me a game where Arkansas shot over half of what the other team shot in FT’s, then we can talk, but I can’t recall that happening this year. And it’s not complaining, but as you say explaining the situation. And Arkansas’ senior night, you show me where they were consistently calling one thing on Auburn but not Arkansas, then I’ll call it out, but that didn’t happen.

Not a good coach? Explain why. In detail.

General I don’t mean to but in but the Moo U game is one that comes to mind where the free throw difference was worse than yesterday! That’s the only way Moo U stayed in the game. The hogs shot over 50% from the field and lost.
Yesterday the refs swallowed the whistle when we were on offense unless they called an offensive foul or a walk!

I like Anderson; he’s a good person and a good coach. He is about average for SEC so he is not a great coach. However, without paying an obscene amount of money, we probably can’t hire anyone much better. What you have seen is is what you can expect in the future; that is, somewhere is the middle of the SEC and in a really good year, he might make the elite 8. To expect Anderson, making the final 4 is not realistic but it might be possible.

It’s pretty simple we foul more than the opposition, if you want the foul calls to be even then we need to stop fouling so much. I don’t think there’s a conspiracy by the Refs to call more fouls on Arkansas do you ? If so file a complaint and show them on film where this is taking place, if it’s so obvious you should have a rock solid case. According to NCAA statistics web site, under the fewest fouls we are ranked #315, which is the worst in the Sec and 35 places from dead last in the nation. We are ranked #265 in the nation in scoring defense and next to last in the Sec. Had never looked these up before tonight and was very surprised, but a poor defense fouls more it seems. To end this on a high note we were ranked #31 in fewest turnovers and that’s one of the reasons we have won as many games as we have to this point. WPS

Depth is what has caused a lot of the problems with this team. Next year the experienced players will be gone. We will have talented youth and will watch them get better. I’m looking forward to it.
The fouls that happen 90 feet from the basket are just stupid! The same players do it constantly. Fouling at the end of the shot clock. Fouling in the lane when you have Gafford right behind you to block the shot.
I can’t stand all of the fouls. But in our games the whistle does not blow the same whe. We are on offense. Gafford was getting beat on at Missouri and he shot 4 free throws. That’s pathetic.

Because of our aggressive style of defense, I know we tend to foul more and I’m not suggesting there’s some conspiracy. BUT, I believe we as a board had this discussion months ago, that referees seem to call games based on reputation, rather than actual fouls. When you are looking for SPECIFIC fouls from specific teams instead of just calling what you see, that’s a problem. I’ve also debated to death my hatred of the hand checking rule and halo rule. Both are subjective to the individual and have no real objective measure to judge them, as we saw in the second half of the Mizzou game Saturday.

Above you wrote the refs “seems” to call fouls based on reputations. Things are not always the way it “seem” as we all know, I’m not having this discussion to be a thorn in your side, but we have to be objective as you said this was discussed on the board months ago and came away with this conclusion that refs call fouls on the reputation of our team. How did we get this reputation to start with and I think if you take a poll and use only Arkansas fans it’s going to be biased. They say you have to admit you have a problem before you can fix it and IMHO we have a problem with our defense that leads us into fouling. Hope you have a good day General, good morning. WPS

Arkansas has the same vote as each of the other SEC teams, so I’m sure there is no conspiracy against Arkansas. There might be if Arkansas was winning the conference most every year. However, we in the middle of the SEC so the other teams are not going to use their votes to attack Arkansas.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … s-too-man/

Good read.

I agree with Wally 100%,the fastest 40 is not as effective as it has been in the past since the game has been slowed down due to all the stoppages. When you play poor defense and foul often you become your own worst enemy because you are slowing down the very game you wanted to be played fast. WPS