The Ups and Downs of the RPI race

For those that follow such silliness, looking at impact games for the Hogs - with tonights CSU game. A loss at home gives us 500 plus points. A win - silly as it is - gives us 80 points. Win or lose, the Hogs surrender RPI points. Makes the Minnesota game this weekend that much more important as we head down the stretch to conference play. Win both this week and sit at an RPI at or near the top 10.

Yep, and with our schedule, we could actually peak into, if not break, into the top 25. And now it seems our conference opener against Tennessee is a big game for solidifying a jump into the top 25.

And for those arguing with me the other day about how great teams don’t get blown out, I refer you to the Florida vs. Florida State game last night. Florida lost 83-66 and it wasn’t that close all night. #5 Florida got smacked around all night long by FSU and FSU only shot 3% better than Florida. Point is, good teams can have bad nights, weaker teams can play out of their minds, or a combination of the two. It happens.

While I agree with you about the bad games, both Houston and FSU are a combined 13-1, they ain’t bad teams.

Outside of the blue bloods in college basketball, it’s simply too early in a long season to know which teams around the country are legit or not.
Houston and Florida St. could prove to be much better teams by seasons end than some may have thought coming into the season and other teams that many think are really good may not actually be what they were thought to be.
That’s why the games are played and wins and losses are tallied in order to grade each teams resume at the conclusion of the full season.

In the case of our Hogs, perhaps the Houston debacle will be an outlier and they get focused and take care of business tonight and again with Minnesota and they go on to have a very successful season.
However, it’s possible that they don’t win one or both of these games and we find out that the optimism that fans felt by the way last years team finished doesn’t carry over to this years team which is a different squad.
That’s why they play the games and we will all learn more as the season unfolds.

I’m hopeful that this will be a legitimate NCAA team, but there are no assurances that will be the case.

Oh, by the way General we beat Florida at home in the 2012-2013 season by 11 and Florida beat the Hogs at home by 17 later that season and eventually got to the elite eight. This 11 point win at home was the blow out game that GeneralHog referenced to the Hogs blowing out a team that went on to have a great season. Not quite the 26 point beat down we had put on us by Houston. Do a bit of homework in the future prior to making misleading posts, I’m sure most on the lounge would appreciate it.

My advice to GeneralHog is to just watch the games and stop predicting end of season thoughts because like everyone else you have no idea how much success or lack of success this team will have until the end of February and the full resume is on display for all to see.

Go Hogs!

I completely agree, but I had one or two people try to argue with me that Arkansas’ not a good team because of how bad Houston beat us and how good teams don’t let that happen. Hence, the game last night.

"Oh, by the way General we beat Florida at home in the 2012-2013 season by 11 and Florida beat the Hogs at home by 17 later that season and eventually got to the elite eight. This 11 point win at home was the blow out game that GeneralHog referenced to the Hogs blowing out a team that went on to have a great season. Not quite the 26 point beat down we had put on us by Houston. Do a bit of homework in the future prior to making misleading posts, I’m sure most on the lounge would appreciate it.

My advice to GeneralHog is to just watch the games and stop predicting end of season thoughts because like everyone else you have no idea how much success or lack of success this team will have until the end of February and the full resume is on display for all to see."

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say how bad much we ended up beating them by, I stated how bad it got until we put in the managers at that point. So your counter point to my original point is moot. Again, you can refer to last nights game that still destroys your point.

And to your second point towards me, I’m not predicting nor have I predicted seasons end results. All I’ve said is we have a good team about because of our schedule and starting RPI, we have the potential to have a good season, which is still the case. So I suggest you calm down your misinterpretation of what I say.

RPI in early December is pretty useless. Give it another month.

I’m still trying to figure out what the heck OP was talking about with 500 points for and 80 against. RPI doesn’t work that way.

Very true, but it’s fun to talk about.

Actually, GeneralHog your are assuming that the 2017 Florida Gators are a great team and what I have said is that no one knows that as of yet. That’s why they play the games so that by the end of the season the contenders have separated themselves from the pretenders.
Over a full season the cream will rise to the top!

Look, I like your enthusiasm for the Hogs and I like you hope they have a terrific season, but at this point no one actually knows if that will happen or not. Your opinions are just that, your opinion and you are welcome to continue to spout those out, but note to self…only your opinion.

At seasons end we will be able to look back and have a big laugh about opinions, those that were right as well as those that were wrong.
Hope to hear from you on Selection Sunday!

Go HOGS!