Nutt is still out there

We’ve done so.much better without him.

I guess we could go after p train.

We’ll get em next year boys. We’ll get em next year.

If Bielema doesn’t turn this around, he’ll be sitting next to Nutt in a couple of years but his pockets will be jingling!

Arkansas cannot - and likely never will - ante up the high dollar salaries that are essential in order to attract top level coaching talent. Very few - if any - coaches can turn 3 star players into hot contenders against 5 star talent, and the upper echelon high profile Top Ten teams who are in the national championship picture year in and year out have first choice of the cream of the crop talent. It’s yet another case of the haves versus the have- nots; Arkansas is a have- not - - - - - and likely a never will have.

Very true. Studies show most players stay within a 250 mile radius of their hometown. If you look at that number, and the location of Fayetteville, there are few big-time players within that footprint. When they do pop up, they can help the program, but there aren’t enough to field a competitive team such as Texas, Florida, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, etc. Mississippi has a huge group of athletes to go after, and a very successful junior college program that helps - Arkansas has none of that. The biggest areas that the Hogs can focus on are Tulsa, and Kansas City (Little Rock is still a small town compared to most metropolitan areas). Unfortunately, neither of those cities can help complete a full-scale team. It just won’t happen. In essence, the best option for the Hogs is to follow Kansas State’s model and hit the junior college ranks like crazy. That might not help win a championship, but it could help get immediate experience and talent on the field. Without that, the Hogs face the same ole outcomes.

Lets face it, we are in a group (SEC West) that has greater opportunities to build a full scale roster, and having a Top 20-30 recruiting score is outstanding for most programs, but it is hard to survive in our group.

Excellent post

I’d rather have Nutt!

Too soon…

Below average
2013\tArkansas\t3–9\t0–8\t7th (Western)\t
2014\tArkansas\t7–6\t2–6\t7th (Western)\tW Texas\t
2015\tArkansas\t8–5\t5–3\tT–3rd (Western)\tW Liberty\t
2016\tArkansas\t7–6\t3–5\tT–5th (Western)\tL Belk\t
Arkansas:\t25–26\t10–22\t

Houston Nutt Above average
1998\tArkansas\t9–3\t6–2\tT–1st (Western)\tL Florida Citrus\t17\t16
1999\tArkansas\t8–4\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tW Cotton\t19\t17
2000\tArkansas\t6–6\t3–5\t5th (Western)\tL Las Vegas\t
2001\tArkansas\t7–5\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tL Cotton\t
2002\tArkansas\t9–5\t5–3\tT–1st (Western)\tL Music City\t
2003\tArkansas\t9–4\t4–4\t4th (Western)\tW Independence\t
2004\tArkansas\t5–6\t3–5\t3rd (Western)\t
2005\tArkansas\t4–7\t2–6\t4th (Western)\t
2006\tArkansas\t10–4\t7–1\t1st (Western)\tL Capital One\t16\t15
2007\tArkansas\t8–4\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tCotton[n 2]\t
Arkansas:\t75–48\t42–38\t

Bobby Petrino Above average
2008\tArkansas\t5–7\t2–6\tT–4th (Western)\t
2009\tArkansas\t8–5\t3–5\tT–4th (Western)\tW Liberty\t
2010\tArkansas\t10–3\t6–2\tT–2nd (Western)\tL Sugar†\t12\t12
2011\tArkansas\t11–2\t6–2\t3rd (Western)\tW Cotton\t5\t5
Arkansas:\t34–17\t17–15

NEED A SCANDAL???

Never hated Nutt at all, teams made lots of mistakes but he was pretty good. Had good players and D played for 4 quarters most years. And hit hard.

In the current environment, I really don’t see Nutt as an improvement. At the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. His record at AR and OM under the same conditions in which the SEC currently exists is abysmal. I would rather stay with what we’ve got. “P-Train,” as the OP calls him is the best former coach on that list. All water under the bridge. If we aren’t happy with CBB, our first termination needs to be JL. CBB is his hire, and the huge buyout is his “crap sandwiich.” Jeffy should eat it. The next AD should determine if we change directions, or “stay the course.”

Hope this time next year we are on here making post to the topic " Can you believe we were calling for CBB’s head last year". He’s got his work cut out and some changes need to be made, but it looks like next year we will haves some Sec speed finally. WPS

True True…

I would rather have Nutt than Bielema. He is a better coach with a much better record. However, that is not going to happen. We cannot afford to pay Bielema a buyout of $15.4 million. However, to his credit, Bielema does run a good program even if his win/loss record is substandard.

Untrue. Nutt’s 15-year record (Boise State, Arkansas, Ole Miss) is 103-81 (.560), while Bielema’s 11-year record (Wisconsin, Arkansas) is 93-50 (.650). Whether Nutt is a “better coach” or not is a matter of opinion. If you are talking about record at Arkansas, you are right, Nutt has the better record (75-48 to 25-26), but you also have to admit that playing in the SEC West in Nutt’s time was different than it is today.

Houston Nutt Above average
1998\tArkansas\t9–3\t6–2\tT–1st (Western)\tL Florida Citrus\t17\t16
1999\tArkansas\t8–4\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tW Cotton\t19\t17
2000\tArkansas\t6–6\t3–5\t5th (Western)\tL Las Vegas\t
2001\tArkansas\t7–5\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tL Cotton\t
2002\tArkansas\t9–5\t5–3\tT–1st (Western)\tL Music City\t
2003\tArkansas\t9–4\t4–4\t4th (Western)\tW Independence\t
2004\tArkansas\t5–6\t3–5\t3rd (Western)\t
2005\tArkansas\t4–7\t2–6\t4th (Western)\t
2006\tArkansas\t10–4\t7–1\t1st (Western)\tL Capital One\t16\t15
2007\tArkansas\t8–4\t4–4\t3rd (Western)\tCotton[n 2]\t
Arkansas:\t75–48\t42–38\tIN THE SEC

Their records at Arkansas are most relevant because it is more difficult to compare records at teams both didn’t coach at and in any event I agree that opinions differ. Regardless Nebraska wanted Nutt thinking he would win a national championship at Nebraska. Also, Nick Saban said, “Houston Nutt does a great job coaching any team that he has coached.”

Personally, I like(d) both of them to a degree. I was just pointing out overall records. I think they are similar in many ways, and if CBB can ever deliver, I think it will be a greater accomplishment because of the greatness of the SECW today as compared to in Nutt’s time. Again, that’s an opinion, not meant to argue.

I see CBB’s coaching seat beginning to heat up a little. His DC selection will tell us a lot about the defense for next year. We need a WINNER from a team with a top 25 defense and know it will be tough to steal him away but I don’t want someone who’s been fired as a HC or “let go”. I don’t want another one of CBB’s pals either-I want someone proven with a good scheme who means business. Yes,money is going to be a factor but we MUST have a good hire at DC or we are in for another 6-6 or 7-5 regular season. Our offense, against stiff SEC competition,must have hope of winning with a stout defense alongside. Therefore, I don’t want to see Rhoads moved up to DC. HOGS YA’LL.

Okay:
I’ve seen a lot of opinions on here, so I guess I’ll give mine.

1. Danny ford was considered an excellent recruiter, so when nutt arrived he had some very good players on campus and he was playing in a much less powerful division. His 4th year, he had 7 wins. He was, how I remember, scared to ever open up his offense until we got way behind. If he would have been smarter, and let Malzahn do things the way he wanted, we could have been the offensive team auburn was his first few seasons there.
  2. Nutt also was a decent recruiter, and when Petrine arrived, he also had a very decent team. He surpassed expectations his first 4 years, but a lot of his players were all starting to get in trouble and his 5th year, theoretically, would have been a step back and his recruiting and defense was starting to fall way off.
  3. Bret arrived a season removed from Petrino, who had given the program a black eye his last semester here, and the smith made us into a joke. when Bret arrived, he inherted a much poorer situation than the previous 2 head coaches.

Now with that being said, we should have one 9 games this year. No excuse for it, we blew 2 big leads. I put that on 3 people. 1 r smith - our defense stopped playing defense, which was a trend under him. 2 enos- Allen tried to force too much stuff and he should have ran the ball more in the second half of those games. 3. Allen- he tried to force too much and didn’t take care of the ball. With those three being blamed by me, all of it falls on Bret. He could have stepped in at any point and made changes. Bret, and I have been a big fan of his all four years so far, I think has 1-2 years left of under getting under 9 win seasons or he will go.
Jeff long hired to very successfull coaches to take over football and basketball. The basketball coach was who most razorback fans wanted. So, at that point he has done his job. If he doesn’t get rid of both after 1-2 more bad years each, then he hasnt continued to do his job. Jeff long might not rub everyone the right way, but all of his choices have been to improve our programs. But we will soon find out, if he can handle the tough part of the job if those two sports don’t inprove. Because as much as I like those 2 coaches, we can’t have losses like the last 2 in football and the last one in basketball each year. Bielema has all his own guys now and so does mike. I want both to be successful, because I like the type of people they are, but they need to look in the mirror and see that their teams are not performing the way they want or should. Now I feel like I have been objective here, but I’m sure some will disagree.

In my opinion a fair and accurate analysis.