MA needs to go after JUCO's like Nick Marshall, Antun Maricevic, and Ivan Aurrecoechea

Interesting use of the English language Rag. It did get your point
Across!

The title of the topic was about getting a Juco and then you said the only reason we might… so I guess it’s you and the fellow that started the thread. I was just stating my opinion about taking the Juco route and if my opinion is different than yours so be it, I thought that what this forum was about being able to state are opinion or thoughts freely and that’s what I’ve done and will continue to do as long as I’m allowed to participate. WPS

I think the University of Arkansas will allow Coach Anderson to complete his current contract which is through the 2021-22 season and evaluate his retainment based on the overall health and success of the program at the end of the 2020-21 season.
So, for any of you clamoring for change, it’s not going to happen!
Think about it for a minute, The University took an image hit over the firing of Nolan Richardson in the early 2000’s then dropped of the face of the earth for most of the next decade, tried to tamp down any racial overtones with the hire of a young, but relatively unproven African American coach in Stan Heath.
Nothing bad to say about Coach Heath, he was put into a very difficult situation.
His dismissal led to what I believe most thought at the time was a return and second coming of Eddie Sutton when Dana Altman was introduced as the next Head Basketball Coach, that obviously lasted all but 1 day when he had a change of heart and mind about taking the Arkansas job.
That tragic and embarrassing moment in Arkansas basketball history then led to us hiring John Pelphrey, an ex-Kentucky player, assistant and head coach at South Alabama, we all know how those years played out.
All of this led the University to extend its hand to Nolan Richardson’s protege, former player, assistant coach Mike Anderson who now had a bit of proven track as a Head Coach in his own right at UAB and Missouri.
This hiring was popular throughout the entire state because fans thought Coach Anderson would bring the success that we had with his mentor and legend Nolan Richardson. It also looked as if the University was trying to correct the mistake of firing a Living Legend.
For these reasons, I feel that as long as Coach Anderson has the type of success as he has delivered over the past 4 years then he is virtually untouchable due to the backlash his firing would bring upon the University by parting ways with a coach that runs a clean program, wins enough to make the NCAA Tournament 3 of 4 seasons if we look at the current record over the past four seasons.
Now, if at seasons end in 2020-21 the record has trended down and tournament appearances on the decline then at that point they would not need to offer a further contract extension. On the flip side if things are trending upward and Coach Anderson, who would be 63 years of age thinks he would like to coach a couple of more seasons then I could see that happening and end with him eventually retiring and being a Razorback for life.
I do think we should thank him for accepting the opportunity to come back and try and restore Arkansas basketball, we are better now than before he arrived. Whether he can bring it all the way back I nor any of you have no idea, but I hope he does.

Go Hogs!

I like your assessment of the situation with CMA and the program you bring up some very good points, I know I’m one of many that has been critical of MA at times but have also praised him as well when due, Many of us speak out for a change in the scheme we play not the change of the coach, we are all well aware that MA has brought this back program from the train wreck he found when he arrived and he should commended for that alone. Nolan and Eddie gave us a taste for final fours and championships and we want that again and that’s ok from a fan base. I personally don’t think we will ever see a final four again until we get back to coaching better fundamentals on both ends of the court. We may have more talent coming and he may be able to coach them up to play the smothering type of defense to get us to the next level time will tell. If we continue playing the same style as we are playing now without becoming better fundamentally we will continue to get the same results. The game has evolved away from what made MA style of play great and you either evolve with it or you don’t, changing is hard for everyone. As you said above MA is really a good man and runs a good program and nothing would tickle me more than to see him tweak his style of play and move from being a good coach to a great coach. WPS

[quote=“Hogbacker”]
The game has evolved away from what made MA style of play great and you either evolve with it or you don’t, changing is hard for everyone. As you said above MA is really a good man and runs a good program and nothing would tickle me more than to see him tweak his style of play and move from being a good coach to a great coach. WPS

[/quote]It is hard for an old man to change from what he is familiar with. Especially when he wins enough like this year with outstanding talent and experience. With two all SEC guards and a future high draft pick, the same kind of one and done that Kentucky wins with every year. With better coaching, they win the SEC and are in the final four.

However, next year he will not win enough so maybe he’ll realize he must make changes.