Hog Football Success?

Look at HDN’s and BP’s overall records while they were here…Someone wake me up when our current coach gets even close to those… :frowning:

By that standard, it means the University of Arkansas has had 11 successful seasons in 123 years.

If the purpose of your statement is to foment a mass longing for the return to the University Of Arkansas of either of those two “gentlemen” you just referenced, you have utterly failed in regard to MY favorability disposition in the implied feasibility and/or desirability factor of such a proposed quest. I wouldn’t vote for either of them for “Dogcatcher”. But that’s just MY opinion. - - - You’re entitled to hold and express your own.

To some degree Bielema has underachieved by losing some games that we should have won especially this past season. We could have easily won 9 games and coming into this season on a high. Still with this disappointment, I’m still confident in our coach. I know he can coach because he led Wisconsin to several successful seasons but he did inherit a good team.

Now he comes to Ark and inherits a team that had lost several players because of behavior, academic issues, etc. Ours was a total rebuilding job in the toughest conference, in the toughest divisions in college football. He has to rebuild as well as to learn a different coaching style, SEC style! We are getting there and this year he will have to be at his best!

[quote]If the purpose of your statement is to foment a mass longing for the return to the University Of Arkansas of either of those two “gentlemen” you just referenced, you have utterly failed in regard to MY favorability disposition in the implied feasibility and/or desirability factor of such a proposed quest. I wouldn’t vote for either of them for “Dogcatcher”. But that’s just MY opinion. - - - You’re entitled to hold and express your own.
[/quote]

Nope! Just stating a fact! He has had one season above mediocrity…in 2015. Went backwards last year…I personally would like to see “some” 9 and 10 win seasons. We have done it before, and in a lot less time.

Nope! Just stating a fact! He has had one season above mediocrity…in 2015. Went backwards last year…I personally would like to see “some” 9 and 10 win seasons. We have done it before, and in a lot less time.
[/quote]

I certainly won’t quibble with that sentiment. The first two or three seasons’ results could presumably be at least partially attributable to the talent shelf-stocking of player personnel by Bielema’s predecessors. The last two seasons’ results, however, reflect fully and solely upon Bielema’s coaching acumen IMHO. I don’t say that in a deliberately-negative or maliciously-accusatory sense; but it is undeniably true. It is past time for the generally-well–respected, loquacious, affable and genuinely-facetious football guru who established a distinguished record at Wisconsin to appear in evidence at The University Of Arkansas. That’s not “hate speech” or a call for Bielema to be summarily fired; it is simply a petition for an overdue “reality check”.

I agree…it is time to put up or shut up…imo

Hog football success is getting better as the season goes along. Take last year. All of our losses were bad. LSU, A&M and Bama by 20, Auburn by 50+ and then two end of season meltdowns. Take away those last two games and we’d been 9-4. When you have double digit leads at halftime and you preach how good your running game is, you win those. Looking at the whole season we were more of a 7-6 team. Took a step back. This being year 5 it is time for real improvement. Real improvement means WINS and that come along with gettign better each practice and each day.

We’ll know where we’re headed after the Carolina game.

6/6 is acceptable if we win the bowl game. 7/5 would be a successful season. 8/4 plus winning the bowl would be outstanding something we might expect 1 year in 10 or at best 1 year in 5.

Very simple; win every game we should win, plus a couple games that we are “underdogs”.

What I HOPE to see - - and what I EXPECT to see - - are two very different considerations. I’m a confirmed, staunch, dyed-in-the-wool Arkansas fan. But in light of the manner in which last season ended, - - I’m strictly from Missouri in the sense that - - considering the manner in which last season concluded - - they are going to have to “show me”. I don’t say that belligerently or highhandedly; - - I’m just “keeping it real”.

A 7-5 season would be OK. Expect to see a 6-6 season. Anything better would be a vast improvement from last season while using a lot of the same athletes so that should be totally unexpected. I am as big a hog fan as they come, but I am also realistic after years of just wanting the flavor to the kool-aid to finally be right. :frowning:

according to ESPN projections, we are underdogs in 6 SEC games…favorite vs MSU & Mizzou… We are also an underdog in ONE NON-SEC game. tcu

For me, a successful season would be 9-3 with an upset victory over Alabama. I want Brett Bielema to be successful but with Jeff Long as AD and a 15 million dollar buyout, there simply is not a sense of urgency or that yearning for excellence that JFB could get out of his coaches. Instead, we have to settle for a level slightly above mediocrity so long as the program stays off the NCAA radar and we get to a minor bowl game. Sadly, we don’t sniff the top 25 under this regime often enough and when we do, we quickly get bounced out of it by losing to an opponent that either we should beat or at least not lose to by an sickening score of 56-3. Nobody wants to be more wrong than I do about our potential this season, but I just don’t feel a hunger by the people that matter (AD, Coach(es) and players) to redeem themselves in light of last season’s embarrassing final two games. We are just a big fat slow Big Ten team and I don’t see that changing this year - 6 and 6 with a Weedeater (or other insignificant corporate) bowl bid is my prediction.

You may very well be right about 6-6 and a lower tier bowl. But when I hear the players talk, I do hear a sense of urgency and an embarrassment over the way last season ended. Same for the coaches. Can’t speak about the AD because I haven’t heard him speak specifically about it. They may not finish any better this year, but I think last year’s finish is a burr under their saddle.

Like I said I hope that I am wrong. I think our players/coaches etc. are saying the right things but I thought they were saying the right things after the Missouri debacle last year too. After the Virginia Tech loss, their words ring hollow with me this preseason. I want to see results that make us feared and relevant - 6 and 6 doesn’t get it done. It’s time for some consistent winning. I thought after the Florida game last year we might have turned a corner but we stink it up against LSU the next week. Against Texas Tech at Lubbock, I could see Bret Bielema’s trademark physical ground and pound football. The next year against Texas Tech in Fayetteville we are simply bamboozled by Kliff Kingsbury’s Spread offense and Patrick Mahomes running it. The list of disappointments goes on and on with Bret Bielema as our coach. It’s time for him to give us what he promised and that was a SEC championship. Unfortunately, I simply don’t think he has what it takes to do it and I doubt he will ever have what it takes to get it done.

I certainly understand being cautious concerning this team. Most teams are going to say the right things most of the time. That’s why it’s hard to ever get a real read on any team in the preseason, especially. We’ll start finding out the answers to those questions two weeks from today. Granted, against Florida A&M, if we find out too many answers, nobody on this board will be happy.

I’ll be able to tell you how successful we’ll be after our first game. If we have problems converting 3rd and short, and our defense gives up yardage, then I’ll know it will be a long season. Also, don’t worry about beating Bama, worry about beating everyone else and then that Bama win will come!

I agree with you. However, I’m still very concerned after late season collapses…

The Botton Line is when ANYONE attempts to get you to compromise your favorite college football team to anything less than a top 10 finish or less than a 10 win season,just sucks. WPS!