Happy second of July guys.

I do agree with some historians that the second was actually the day, but since the 4th won out, I see no reason to not celebrate twice.
So I will shoot a firecracker both days.

Happy second to you!

Refresh my American history. Why was the second the actual day?
Thanks!

The 13 colonies officially approved the motion to secede from Britain on July 2, 1776. The written Declaration of Independence came two days later, but the July 2 vote was what actually launched the USA

(The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

I’ll nonchalantly and gratefully accept your word regarding the foremost significance of the July 2nd independence vote. Kudos on the expository revelation. I consider myself a student of history, - - albeit perhaps one lacking the true zeal and fervor of a dedicated history enthusiast.

Fourth grade was a VERY long time ago for yours truly; some historical timeline markers have become blurred episodes of indistinct uncertainty for me. For example; which of these are true statements of fact?:

(A) In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
-or-
(B) In 1493, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea.

I’ve never exerted myself to raise an issue over the one year disparity between the preceding dueling verses premises. I am most certainly not motivated to quibble over the merits of a two day historically contested factual brouhaha.

Happy July 2nd - - (AND 4th).

Thanks y’all. LONG time since 11th grade and Am Hist was right after lunch. That spelled disaster in '76 - '77. No further explanation necessary. :sunglasses: