Arkansas quarterbachs

When you have 6 quarterbacks, you have none!

Most universities have five or six. One (Jack Lindsey) is not likely to take meaningful snaps except on special teams. Two (Connor Noland and John Stephen Jones) are freshmen who likely will play some because of the new redshirt rule. If one of them steps up and plays well, they may not be redshirted, but if they can’t outplay the other three, they are likely to be redshirted. Daulton Hyatt apparently has not played well enough in the fall camp to be considered in the top two, but does not say he will not emerge. And then there are two, Cole Kelley and Ty Storey, one of which eventually should emerge as the starter. Neither may and that will open the door to the others. It appears to be a two-man race for now (they took the vast majority of snaps yesterday with the 1s).

I don’t think the situation is dire. I don’t think starting the season with two QBs is awful, though it’s never idea. But I seem to remember some fans on here being upset when Arkansas had a clear starter coming into the season (BA or AA). Some are never content.

Better than having two. If you have an injury you are in big trouble, two injuries and you are finished altogether. With concussion protocol in play, time off line for quarterbacks is not uncommon. Anyway, the average fan has no idea what the real situation is with the quarterbacks. The coaches can be encouraging competition by not naming a starter. Most likely Storey and Kelley just have not separated themselves sufficiently from each other, or from a couple of the underclassmen. The freshmen know they are likely to redshirt, but thanks to the new rule, may get to play in a few games if we get to cleanup situations. Whatever, I would rather go into any season with six QBs than two, especially considering the condition of the offensive line. If the line doesn’t protect in this system, we may need to rotate QBs.

SO MUCH of the quality of QB play is dependent upon the quality of the OL play. Even a top-notch, premium quality, sharp-passing field general cannot succeed without protection and without adequate time and space within which to effectively operate. Competence MUST start at the line of scrimmage, - - or else there will be no competence shown.

Good post, as both Allen boys are getting a chance at the next level shows that someone thinks they can play a little if they have a good O line. It seems one of CBB problems is becoming one of CCM problems not being able to keep the O line guys healthy. Lack of depth and then combine injuries and you run into a tough situation quickly, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping things get better soon. WPS

I think it will be evident early on if the offense will be able to produce or not. If they struggle against the likes of Eastern Illinois, North Texas and on the road at Colorado State ( Hawaii scored over 40 @ CSU and won ) then it will be another sub .500 season. However, if they can handle these games with ease then they have a punchers chance to also beat Tulsa, Vanderbilt. Where a sixth win cold come from is difficult to say. I’ll not be too critical this season because I don’t have high expectations, year three the expectations should be elevated.

Go Hogs!

Q.v. play.We have 6 q.v. and none can play better than Storey?

Obviously, we have a QB problem.
Storey wasn’t able to do anything today and even though Kelley came in and made a couple of good throws, his lack of agility outside of the pocket will be a problem for him against teams that will apply pressure on him for exactly that reason.
I believe we are going to see as many as five QB’s get an opportunity to play this season because we don’t have any true #1 QB.
It’s going to be another ugly season, but I didn’t have high expectations for this season. It’s going to take a couple of good recruiting classes to see if Coach Morris can get this program back to respectability.

Go Hogs!

Arkansas is a pitiful 3rd tier program with a high school level coach. There will be no return to greatness for this backwater program. Hire Gus Malzahn at all cost or enjoy being cellar dwellers forever. Punting on 4th and inches was unforgivable. Chad Morris was a terrible hire. He belongs back at a 2nd tier program like SMU…or high school. Chad Morris, do not buy a house in Fayetteville. Hiring Brett Bulimia started this slide. This team of losers may beat NTSU next week…maybe not. If they do manage to beat NT, it will be the last win this year. No conference wins this year with this high school coach. Fire him tonight. Chavez defense was a joke tonight. Arkansas football is a joke. The players and coaches are PUSSIES. Go Mean Green!

TommyRocks18,

I don’t know if you’re a Hog fan or not, but that type of language has no place on this or any forum, it doesn’t serve any purpose whatsoever and just puts you in a poor light as a person.
If you are a Hog fan, I’m not sure what your expectations were going to be for this season, but I think most fans understand this wasn’t going to be a quick turnaround for any staff.
Having said that, I agree Coach made a mistake by not going for it on 4th and 1 and that’s on him not the players.
It’s going to be another bad season, but to start the name calling as you did shows a complete lack of class and understanding, so do Hog fans a favor and either clean up your act or stay the hell off this forum!

Go Hogs!

Punting was the proper call. All coaches would punt at the 50 yard line if they knew the other team would get the ball on the 4 yard line. The problem was the defense didn’t hold them. That is no one’s fault. We just need better players.

Gay,
I don’t know what game you were watching, but at that point in the game the Rams clearly had momentum on their side and we had average 6.5 yards per rush all game. Meanwhile, the Rams had found its rhythm in its passing game and we had no answers for the Williams kid in coverage.
If we had just ran the ball picked up the first down and continued to run the ball we probably would’ve gotten points and eaten much of the clock, this decision to not go for it was the wrong decision based on the flow of the game at the time and the fact that the Rams could not stop the run game.
Sure the defense should be blue to stop a 90 plus yard drive, but at that point with how they had moved the ball through the air outside of a turnover I knew they would move the ball and probably score because they had our inability to cover their receivers figured out.
Coaches have to make certain decisions during a game based on feel, flow and momentum and this decision to punt was the wrong decision for the time in this game.
Certainly, we should have scored more points, but that’s a different onversation about a below average kicking game and failure to capitalize by scoring touchdowns in the red zone.
Obviously, my expectations weren’t very high for this first year because we don’t have the talent level on this roster to win many games, but we could’ve and should’ve won this game!

Go Hogs!

Regardless of your 20/20 hindsight, punting was the percentage call. And, since I don’t recall that we made anymore first downs, even if we had made a first down, likely we wouldn’t have made another to continue the drive or get close enough to even score a field goal.

And, if we punted from close to the 40 yard line it is not likely we would have tackled or downed the ball inside the 5 yard line giving them even better field position. Therefore, the outcome likely would have been the same except maybe they would have had less time and the game would have gone to overtime.

Regardless of your 20/20 hindsight, punting was the percentage call. And, since I don’t recall that we made anymore first downs, even if we had made a first down, likely we wouldn’t have made another to continue the drive or get close enough to even score a field goal.

And, if we punted from close to the 40 yard line it is not likely we would have tackled or downed the ball inside the 5 yard line giving them even better field position. Therefore, the outcome likely would have been the same except maybe they would have had less time and the game would have gone to overtime.