Yoga teaching

What does everyone think about football players taking yoga? That is a loaded question from me. I have taught yoga for several years and have my teaching certification. It builds strength, balance , flexibility, stamina, and reduces stress. I am 74 years old and still teach classes. I think it is great and much needed. My classes are mostly females. I think men get intimated by the women being more flexible and having better balance in class. Yoga is much more difficult to do than one might think.

I think it’s great. Improve flexibility and decreasing injuries are good things.

As a just turned fifty year old male with back and neck issues…I wish I had been doing yoga since jr. high athletics. I think every sports team should have a yoga period twice a week. It has provided me more relief from my pain than medical doctors or chiropractic care.

As you guys have already said, it improves strength, flexibility and is relaxing, while being easy on the joints. I think its part of why I am twice as active as most folks my age.

I also really hope that it cuts down on our injuries. The work you get with warrior 1,2 reverse warrior etc should really help with players balance and strength, could be fun to watch how our lineman do.

I"m on board!

GHG

My daughter is a UofA MSW grad and a certified yoga instructor. Along with a friend, she has developed a Yoga for Trauma series of classes that mainly are taught to other Yoga Instructors for their continuing ed requirements. http://yogafortrauma.com/about/
They teach how yoga can assist in the physical and mental healing process. On weekends, they teach to usually sold-out classes in either Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, or Asheville. Along with yoga instructor training, she has led classes for PTSD victims, military vets, First Responders, domestic violence victims, cancer patients, hospital staffs, and other care givers. It is as much or more a tool to help with mental trauma as it is for physical trauma. Yoga is not some frivolous play thing. It can provide a serious assist to healing and mental/physical development. One of my daughter’s friends taught yoga classes for Nolan’s teams back in the Corliss days, so this is not new to the UofA. <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.freeweekly.com/2015/11/05/ar … lle-mayor/”>http://www.freeweekly.com/2015/11/05/arkansas-yoga-center-recognized-by-fayetteville-mayor/</LINK_TEXT>

Our high school basketball team has been doing it for years, in season and out of season. The football does it out of season.

I love it.

I am 47 and overweight. I have felt the flexibility I had as a younger man deteriorate and I have been trying to find a class in the area.

Great idea and fits right in with what they seem to be trying to do. I suspect it will help with injuries, esp. pulls and stuff like that.

I teach skiing and no it helps with that. I am almost 70.

I take yoga about three times a week, and along with one other guy, we are the only males in these classes of 15-20 in size. He and I are often humbled by the womens’ flexibility and ability to get in those pretzel positions–humbled every class. The classes are tough, and you cannot hide your beer belly in some of those inverted positions.

So, enter each class humble because macho-ness will leave you embarrassed. I love these classes!! I am SO much more flexible that other guys in the gym. While I am not even close to being able to do the splits, I can touch my knees with my chin in some positions. If you can’t, then you might enjoy yoga; but it’ll take quite a while to develop the flexibility that is possible.

I remember the Doc talking about his yoga instruction a long time ago. Doc, would you believe my balance positions are so difficult due to my having punctured both my ear drums over time?

Punctured ear drums certainly don’t help your balance. I credit a knee replacement, back surgery with rods and screws, and being 74 to my lost of balance. I got my 200 hour Yoga certification through Yogafit which is an international yoga teaching organization. They have a strong program on mental and physical trauma. Men just don’t seem to stay with yoga for what ever reason. It is much more difficult than most people realize. I live in Forrest City and teach classes at the Forrest City Health Center. I am a retired college prof. that taught business courses. If anyone is interested in yoga classes, let me know. I probably can help you find a teacher and class in your area. Send me a pm or just post on here. I have been taking yoga for around 15 years and teaching for over 10 years. I am 74 and wish I had found yoga when I was 10 years old.

I played in a golf tournament in Thailand with a group of good (and old) friends in November 2017. One of the guys is 76 years old and has the body, flexibility and golf swing of a 30 year old. He told me the secret was Yoga. I’m starting Yoga lessons next week.

I’m getting ready to start yoga. I’m a beast in the weight room and can lift more than most could imagine. I do get stiff and suffer some pain due to that in conjunction with past injuries. A doctor and PT at the Mayo Clinic has told me it will reduce my discomfort if I will embrace it as serious as my lifting. BTW I’m 63…never to old to stay in shape

Those of you that are going to start yoga for the first time, here are some suggestions. Look for a certified teacher. Most any yoga studio will more than likely have certified instructors, but it doesn’t hurt to check. If you go to a gym, you really need to make sure the instructor is certified. I would stay away from Hot Yoga. There is a lot of misunderstanding about this, so the best advise is to stay with regular classes. Go to beginner classes and leave your egos at home. Yoga is not a competition, but is to be done at ones own pace and skill level. Do not let someone push or pull you with much force to get you into a pose. Pay attention and try your best. I strongly suggest you bring your own yoga mat, a yoga strap, and a blanket You can get the mat and strap at Wal Mart. The thinner the mat the better for standing balance. You may want to bring a blanket to put under your knees when in a kneeling position. Love’s Truck stop have the kind of blankets you need for less than $10.00 or at least they have had. They are like the Indian blanket types. I teach yoga and have never been as good at some poses as many of my students. They are younger and simple more flexible than me. There are some poses that I can teach but can no longer do myself. Learn the difference between a stretch and a hurt or pull. We don’t want to pull muscles or hurt ourselves. We don’t believe in the saying “No pain no gain”. You will feel your body and learn about your body differently. Yoga will push you but not in the way you usually think of being pushed. Don’t bounce to stretch, instead use a consistent stead stretch. There is nothing special about touching the floor, your toes, etc. You do what you can do. People should, and for most part will, be concentrating on what they are doing and not on what you are doing. Remember, Yoga is several thousands of years old. If anyone has questions, just let me know.

My wife LOVES yoga and raves about the benefits. She’s gone on yoga retreats.

Dr. John Hog I’m pretty sure that many D-1 programs do use Yoga and I think I remember reading something a few years ago about some of our O-linemen doing yoga. I could be wrong. I’m 60 and my go to fitness tool is the rope. I do a lot of stretching and balance work before and after jumping however, and I think some of my stretching exercises are rooted in yoga. I’ve lost 23 lbs in a few months btw, and my cardio level has improved dramatically. I can now play full court hoops with folks a quarter my age. I would like to explore yoga. I think it would be a nice addition to my current routine of jumping, cycling, hoops and light dumb bells. Flexibility is great to have at any age.

I’m all in for Hot Tub Yoga.

I personally would stay away from Bikram yoga for various reasons. Yoga in a hot room is fine, but Bikram is different.

Sent you a pm.

Flexibility is a big deal to many strength programs and Yoga seems to be the logical answer. I think recovery is what all coaches are looking for after a hard week of work. If we all had stretching programs, we’d live a lot longer. And, of course, it would help if we ate better. All of this works together in strength and conditioning programs. I’ve always done stretching, just not anything close to Yoga. When I was playing my best golf, my practice routines always included lots of stretching.