Writer thinks three Razorback players

got short changed with the All SEC preseason picks. Among the ten things he thinks the media got wrong was Austin Allen, Ryan Pulley, and Hjalt Froholdt not being included on the list.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f … cks-wrong/

agreed - for one thing AA is a top contender for best SEC QB

Only thing holding him back is he is at Ark in the preseason rags

If AS was at UF or Bama he would be a clear 1st Team All SEC

But AA and his team mates can fix all that once the season begins

Winning teams get the players on the All SEC and All American list

It’s I. There hands winning fixes lots of things

Glad the writer sees good things at Arkansas

What I would trade for anything is for the writer to be embarrised with Arkansas winning the SEC

This again is how people see Arkansas as a football program - this needs t change and it only happens with winning

I am sorry but our Danish guard has a long way to go to make a pre-season team. Too many times last year he looked lost and Austin paid the price. He needs to prove it on the field.

I agree on the fact that Froholdt has no business being on a preseason All-SEC team.

But I think you are going to be surprised at how much improvement he has made over the course of the off-season.

It certainly was not on him that they decided to make him an OL without any experience there.

He is in great shape, his technique has improved and the added experience will do wonders for him.

has a chance to be an excellent DB this year.

A few mistakes last season, but he played solidly overall last season.

I think Ragnow, Allen, Devwah, Jared, Pulley, Agim and Dre all have chances to be All-SEC after the season. Maybe someone else has a breakout year, but those are the best candidates in my mind.

Brandon Martin seem to have all the tools on paper to be Arkansas’ greatest receiver in history. Is this the best kept secret or is there something to the 14 playbook references in the article written on him? I’m not discounting the detail it takes to learn the playbook but cmon this is Arkansas and certainly not petrino’s playbook. If he has more than 6 routes in as many alignments I’d be surprised.

Hogbone, what you have is option routes. In other words, he’s asked to read coverages and run the routes based on the reads. They MUST match what the quarterback reads. So that’s the tough part for a juco WR coming into the SEC. There is a learning curve. I would say that the Dan Enos playbook is complex and probably more detailed than you might understand.

I am told that Brandon Martin did a nice job of working and adjusting to the playbook this summer. I think he’ll be involved in the offense quite a bit. He may develop into quite a player. But I don’t expect him to be what you say right out of the gate.

Clearly you haven’t seen the playbook.

It might as well be a strength and conditioning tool.

The Enos offense is clearly much more versatile than you are giving him credit for at this point.

If only it was about running to a spot, it would be easy for all WRs.

But it’s not - especially against SEC defenses.

Phil Steele predicted Froholdte to make the All-SEC third team. Steele is right more than most. Froholdte is very smart, very strong, and Phil Steele is not the only one thinking he takes a big leap forward this year. Hope he is right.

Post was not meant to be a dig at the Arkansas playbook or what it takes to be a receiver in the SEC. The point I was trying to make is it appears the only thing holding Brandon back at this point in time is his lack of knowledge of the playbook, and it appears to get documented often. He definitely has the speed and has hands as indicated by some of his circus catches I’ve seen. We heard the same thing about Dominique Reed and how he could never put it together mentally. I’m just hoping this isn’t the case with Martin, and I don’t think it is.

I’m hopeful that he will find a spot on the field as he has DBG’ish talent and very good speed. In time he could be great , maybe sooner than later. If he can read piano sheet music he can figure this route stuff out pretty quickly. We haven’t had a cardboard cutout WR on this squad like this since Monk, and he’s bigger than Monk.

But I stand firm this offense isn’t as complex as Petrino’s. No one’s is. I love Enos, though, and very glad he’s on our side.

If we have a good season, then a TE or 2 could be all SEC, Austin Cantrell is a blocking STUD who can run, Gunter looks the part also

JGibson, if he plays like he did vs Florida, could be All SEC

DeJon Harris has an outside shot as well, along with Martin and Cornelius at WR

Roster isn’t Bama or LSU, but it isn’t bad, either

GHG

Yeah, I think Enos has proven he knows how to get a TE involved. It’ll be interesting to see if one guy becomes the main receiving TE, because there may be a handful who play.

Agreed on Jared having a good chance to make it. He’s one of the seven. And I think you’re right about one of the OL potentially taking a step forward.

I agree that Brandon Martin may be the most athletic mold of an NFL WR that we have had in a long time. If he can put it all together, he can be a superstar. I think he could truly be a future 1st round draft pick. It will take him time, but I think right out of the gate he will at least demand enough respect to take some of the defense’s attention off of Jared Cornelius. Maybe it’ll take him just enough time to put it all together that we will be able to keep him for all 3 years he’s eligible for. :wink:

Do you actually watch the games? Enos offense is similar to Petrino’s. The difference is personnel groupings.

If you look at the numbers, Enos’ best offensive season(s) here and Petrino’s are similar.

Under Enos, Arkansas has been very multiple and productive. This idea that we are boring, predictable and ground and pound is just dumb. Ask Dominique Reed.

Why do you think he didn’t pan out? He has a ton of talent but digressed because he didn’t put in the work.

I think both are you are coming from different point of view on complex. Did petrino have more designed plays than enos? Yes. Did Petrino’s players have to think like Enos’ players? No. Petrino’s players probably had more designed formations and therefore more plays, but if they player new the book, they just ran the route. Enos’ players get to make judgment calls that require them to know the defense. Not the case with petrino. The only person that had the option was the QB.