World Golf Rankings & Razorback Football

One of the things that people who continue to preach patience and express confidence in Bret do is cite his success at Wisconsin. They point to three straight Rose Bowl appearances, 10 win seasons, etc.

My question is how far removed from Bret’s tenure at Wisconsin do we have to get before that becomes a talking point that’s no longer relevant?

In the subject line of my post I mention the world golf rankings which assign points to golfers based on how they perform in tournaments and as time goes on those points have less impact on how the rankings are calculated. I’m a fan of Phil Mickelson and he won the most points possible for winning a golf major in 2013 and was the number two player in the world when the rankings came out the week after his win. Today that win, while a great accomplishment he’ll always be remembered for, has no bearing on his world ranking. It’s as if he never won it from a ranking standpoint because it happened four years ago and tournaments from that year mean zero, nada, zilch to today’s rankings.

For those that value Bret’s success at Wisconsin a question - when is it fair in your judgement to acknowledge it’s certainly a great accomplishment that Bret spent three New Year’s Days in beautiful Pasadena, but when it comes to Razorback football it has no bearing on where we are as a program and where we are going?

Bingo.

[quote=“JacksonReid”]
One of the things that people who continue to preach patience and express confidence in Bret do is cite his success at Wisconsin. They point to three straight Rose Bowl appearances, 10 win seasons, etc.

My question is how far removed from Bret’s tenure at Wisconsin do we have to get before that becomes a talking point that’s no longer relevant?

In the subject line of my post I mention the world golf rankings which assign points to golfers based on how they perform in tournaments and as time goes on those points have less impact on how the rankings are calculated. I’m a fan of Phil Mickelson and he won the most points possible for winning a golf major in 2013 and was the number two player in the world when the rankings came out the week after his win. Today that win, while a great accomplishment he’ll always be remembered for, has no bearing on his world ranking. It’s as if he never won it from a ranking standpoint because it happened four years ago and tournaments from that year mean zero, nada, zilch to today’s rankings.

For those that value Bret’s success at Wisconsin a question - when is it fair in your judgement to acknowledge it’s certainly a great accomplishment that Bret spent three New Year’s Days in beautiful Pasadena, but when it comes to Razorback football it has no bearing on where we are as a program and where we are going?
[/quote]Maybe when people quit acting like Bret is incompetent as a Coach. His success at Wisconsin does not dictate that he will be successful at Arkansas, but it is a reflection of some competency as a Coach, which so many ignore. It is fairly obvious you and others have lost patience with the current staff, but fail to appreciate the risk of change and constant turnover, which is very possible if not probable in testing the coaching market again.

This is a smart post. Good analogy.

I think his Wisconsin record is irrelevant to what he is doing in Arkansas. I know that his job performance will be evaluated solely on his Arkansas results and nothing beforehand. If he continues to struggle, the amount of patience shown to him will have more to do with other factors, such as the buyout.