Without Macon and Barford

First, Macon and Barford look like SEC seniors. Second, without them on the court the team looks like a chicken with its head cut off. We badly need someone who can control the ball in the second unit.

We just beat a really good team by 28, with +5 turnover ratio, and you’re complaining about point guard play? Jeez…

I am curious why Beard is not bringing up the ball and distributing to Barford and Macon on the wings? Instead, Macon and Barford break down their defender off the dribble and score or get fouled. The rest of the team stands and watches. At some point, a good defender will force them to do more than go one-on-one each time in the half court.

Well Coach Wooden, maybe Coach Anderson knows how to coach his players to their strengths.

Some people will always find the negative in something. I was at the Samford game and it was some guys behind me that complained the whole game. They went from complaining about how slow Trey Thompson was, to how bad Mike Anderson’s rotations are, to how we don’t ever pass to the open man, it was one negative thing after the other. It was so annoying, and we were winning by 40, I couldn’t imagine what they’d be saying if we were actually losing.

[quote=“SwineFusion”]
We just beat a really good team by 28, with +5 turnover ratio, and you’re complaining about point guard play? Jeez…
[/quote]That’s not a complaint, per se. What about the truth do you not like?

That assumes a couple of things: One, that MA wants a traditional point guard, and two, that if he does, the 1 in our lineup is Beard. I don’t think he is. Barford is the 1. He penetrates, scores if he can, and if he can’t gets the ball to someone who can. Bucknell couldn’t keep him from scoring. Neither could Samford. We’ll see how they attack OU, etc., in Portland.

[quote=“daBoar”]

Truth? That’s your opinion, pal, and not an accurate one. The facts are that no matter who was running the offense, we turned it over 13 times in a much higher-tempo game than Friday night.

as handily as you can… Both will probably be in NCAA Tournament. I’m very impressed with the young Guy’s, our athleticism, and their potential to improve. If Garland was not sitting, this team would be very dangerous. They’re going to be pretty good as is… Might be very good by the end of the year. Wow… complaining now seems a bit premature!

Comments: go figure, some off these so call fans that think they are in the know are completely clueless, oh by the way I dig your response.

Dear God. I mean really.

We have some that are stuck in the walk it up the court and hold up two fingers mode. Maybe don’t understand the style of ball we play. We actually have 4 players that can and do start our offense and one of them is an over weight out of shape (so they say) big. This team is good, really good. As the Freshmen grow they will get better. If the Defense continues to improve we could be something special.

[quote=“daBoar”]

Response: this was the second played game into the early season, and both were blow outs hence where is the value to your assessment

Its a small sample size but the aggressiveness of this team has been off the charts. They push it on offense and defense, unlike anything we have seen since the Nolan heyday. Their motion offense is so much improved. Where they used to cut without much purpose and spend a lot of time pounding the rock or moving it around the perimeter only to get a terrible shot late in the possession, they are now cutting and moving with purpose and are really sharing the ball. The results, again after only two games…against mid-majors, have been a very efficient and high scoring offense. Defensively we are creating much more havoc than at any point in the Mike, John, and Stan eras. They seem to have an edge that we have not had in a long, long time. Now, with all that being said, its only been two games, against mid-majors, at home and they may not be able to recreate this against better competition or on the road/neutral courts but, to this point, there is not a ton to complain about.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere, and I agree, this is finally a Nolan like team, with length, athleticism, skill, and BB IQ. If our guards stay healthy, this could be a special team when the system becomes instinctive to the freshmen.

Anton Beard is #31. He did bring the ball up the court on occasion. It was hard to deny Barford the ball in the first half, since he was 8 of 9 from the floor. Maybe Gafford got pinned too close to the goal a couple of times, but he became more active later in trying to front his man. That would be the extent of my nit picking of this excellent team performance. I’m sure coach Anderson will have some teaching moment s to show the team.

I totally agree.’

Got to have some young point guards coming up behind these seniors or next year will feel like gulp, football lacknof depth this year.

May win it all this year though and nothing wrong with that. Gonna be a great year

Next year’s PGs are already set - redshirt soph Jalen Harris and highly touted frosh Keyshawn Embery.

With Garland unavailable Arkansas will almost always have at least one of Beard, Macon, or Barford on the court. That’s our personnel. The bench right now is 3 frosh and a soph, all wings or forwards.

Bench scoring:

Arkansas - 33
Bucknell - 8

[quote=“nielsboar”]

With Garland unavailable Arkansas will almost always have at least one of Beard, Macon, or Barford on the court. That’s our personnel. The bench right now is 3 frosh and a soph, all wings or forwards.
[/quote]That’s what I was intimating; we’re limited at the real guard positions. The starters are doing real well because of the stability of Macon and Barford; I was not trying to assassinate what the team accomplished the first two games.