Willie McCovey (was Mays)

Sorry to hear about his death today at 80. He was one of my heroes as a kid! He was great player and a good person too!

[quote=“bellhog”]

Sorry to hear about his death today at 80. He was one of my heroes as a kid! He was great player and a good person too!

[/quote]It was Willie McCovey, not Willie Mays.

I was wondering there for a minute.

McCovey was one I picked first or second when I’d put together an all-star team in Strat-o-matic baseball.

McCovey was a great player, but he was no Willie Mays. That said, I remember him well and mourn his loss!

Very good all around player.
RIP WM.

Strat-o-Matic baseball sure brings back some memories. We used to put together teams with the best players, like McCovey, Mays, Mantle, etc., and play a series with a team of scrubs to see what happened. Surprisingly, the scrubs would win about 1/3 of the games, just like what happens in MLB.

Playing that board game required a real love for baseball and a good imagination. I doubt kids today could handle it. :smiley:

Used to play APB Baseball. Held a draft, would make trades and would play a 162-game season, breaking it into 5- and 4-game series (home-and-home). Quite an ambitious schedule, but it was great fun.