Wicklander has a huge opportunity can he handle the pressure

so far his like a box of chocolates,you never know what you going to get…He has great talent but right now he has to control the ball better and this may be a tough matchup for him with a pretty all RH lineup who feasts on the FB I think he can be effective if he can mix his pitches up and gets ahead in the count with his CB like Campbell did last night.

I hope he is up to the challenge but I would have Kosty ready very quickly,if he can get out of the 1st inning ok I think he can be oK and we need to jump on there starter and give him a cushion.

I just hope Wicklander is competive! If he can keep the hogs in the game through 5 or 6 innings I think DVH will do whatever he can with the bullpen to win today. I don’t expect tonight’s game to be a 5-3 game. There may be double digit runs scored in this one.
The young freshmen just needs to relax and be sharp. His location will determine his success or failure. Your right about the first inning and a good start. Let’s hope Wicklander shines and steps up to the challenge. I hope the bullpen is ready and sharp.

With Wicklander, I think you typically know what you’re going to get - strong starts and poor relief appearances. The numbers back it up.

In 7 starts: 1.98 ERA, 39 strikeouts and 11 walks in 27 1/3 innings.

In 7 relief appearances: 11.42 ERA with 13 strikeouts and 12 walks in 8 2/3 innings.

I’ve talked to pitchers about this. There are some who don’t like starting because they get nervous, and they prefer the bullpen because they just have to react. Then there are some like Wicklander who seem to need that extra time to get right.

[quote=“MattJones”]

In 7 relief appearances: 11.42 ERA with 13 strikeouts and 12 walks in 8 2/3 innings.

[/quote]When you start, you start the game (and each inning) with no baserunners. Hence, on average, you have less pressure. Campbell has learned how to compose himself with runners on first and second…Wick and many of the other freshman now have a record of coming unglued with baserunners.

We’ll learn quickly tonight as MSU’s first batter drives most pitchers crazy.

i agree he has been better as a starter for sure but this will be the biggest game he’s been in and against the best lineup.I think if he can control 3 pitches and keep them off balance if not they are going to looking to tee off on his FB…1st inning is very important get through that and I think he can hopefully settle in.

It is his biggest challenge … to date. He was under pressure at Auburn and came through it like a champ.

Agree. Chances like this is why a kid chooses to go to a school. If he comes out focused, I suspect he will give a good performance.