Why Were We So Quick on Canning Bobby

for something that now looks like a nit, especially in contrast to foibles of Hollywood legends, political leaders, and Baylor coaches.

I’m still struggling with killing the golden goose so that we can lay a perpetual egg.

All the geniuses said because the University would’ve been sued. Because he lied to Jeffy — can’t lie to your boss. Because he had an affair on his wife. Because he was immoral. Because he was mean to Cotton Bowl people. Because football wasn’t fun anymore. Because Bobby can’t recruit and was about to run out of talent. Because Bobby never has a good defense. Because John L. will do just fine as an interim. Because of…wait for it…INTEGRITY.

Gag. Said it then and I’ll say it now: Firing Bobby was the single biggest mistake the football program ever made. Revealing on many different levels, but mostly a lack of our board and administration’s ability to recognize that without a transcendent coach (and Bobby was that), we are a college-football bottom feeder.

1 Like

Sigh…

Just don’t see how people can’t grasp this.

He was fired for one reason. He gave a job to his mistress. A job for which she was probably not the best qualified candidate.

None of the other stuff, no matter how morally egregious, was the reason. There was no choice but to fire him. There are Federal laws in place for that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Don’t I recall the AD at the time having gone to his house and provided him a revised contract with lower comp reflecting the incident?

Seems that was the approach until Bobby refuses to sign?

Seems I heard that somewhere.

If true, had Bobby agreed I wonder if he still would have been coaching?

I

Not true on why he was fired. He was fired over the image/look the incident brought to the university. If there was any federal crime/issue that would have been an issue that carried with him. As it was, he was immediately hired at Louisville with no issues and continued to be a good football coach. Pure image/pr nightmare that the AR leadership didn’t want to stomach.

1 Like

Yep… exposed the University to unfair hiring practices and the potential legal fall out. Also lied to his boss. Not too many of us will get away with lying to our boss and keeping our job.

He was not hired immediately at Louisville. He was out of coaching for a year and then hired by Western Kentucky for a year before being rehired by his buddy Jurich at Louisville.

True. I just looked over his resume as well because that seemed incorrect. Thanks for the correction.

If there was any “LEGAL” consequences for what BP did, firing him did not resolve or eliminate any liability for the UA… they have never been sued, but firing him is not the reason.

The only thing people want is a great coach, recruiter, x and o guy, player developer, and be able to walk on water and raise the dead. Are those things so much to ask?

I thought he was fired because he gave a press conference, looked the camera in the eye
so to speak, and flat out LIED. Plus all the other underlying factors that were adding up. I don’t think
any of our Insiders will want to rehash this, seems to always come up for some reason. How long
has it been now? :upside_down_face:

I maybe wrong, but I remember something about one of the individuals passed over taking legal action. Don’t know what happened, but I remember seeing something mentioned about it.

In 2012 following the Rutgers loss coupled with the ULM loss earlier in the season, I went on an intoxicated rant on the old board. My message was taking the moral high ground with CBMFP VS winning felt so good. I predicted then, which still holds true today, that canning Petrino set back the program for the next decade if not longer.

I’m no angel, and will admit I’ve initially lied to a boss a couple of times in my career to cover my ass on trivial mistakes. I also have made some HUGE mistakes in my career that could have relegated me to the dustbin of history, but I chose to fully own those mistakes. I’m not sure if CBMFP at the end chose to own his huge mistake or not, but I’m a firm believer in giving someone another chance.

Here we are in 2019, where I now view this decade of Hog football as a lost decade. I went to every home game as a kid and ultimately a freshman in college starting with Hogs VS Horns in LR in 1991. I thought the 1990’s decade of Hog football was bad. This now is even worse.

When a very talented employee makes a HUGE mistake, just remember he/she is human. As long as that person can own that mistake, I feel that person is deserving of another chance to redeem themself.

This is my first post about BMFP that I’ve made since my 2012 post Rutgers intoxicated rant. I’ve moved on, but winning with him sure felt like jumping into a bed with freshly made clean sheets.

I’m out on my way to brunch now. Someday I hope this team can find a way to get out of the ditch, and back on the road no matter who is head coach.

If you are the AD, you either make your employees mind, decide to let them do what they want without consequences or you fire them. Those are the three options. Jeff Long didn’t do the first, decided he couldn’t do the second and that left him no room to do anything but the last.

I asked one question at the press conference to announce the Petrino firing, did Long offer a reduced compensation package and penalties with a chance for Petrino to stay? He gave a one word answer, NO. I believe that to be true in talking to others off the record.

Whether or not the Board of Trustees would have bought that, I’m not sure.

I believe that everyone in the athletic department and BoT had seen or knew of instances where Petrino did things that bothered them. Some of the issues that had come up from the Cotton Bowl and the way people with Arkansas backgrounds were treated there were very fresh in every one’s mind. How much that played into the firing, I’m not sure.

But I do know that the AD was tired of having to deal with those kind of issues. Why would a coach from Arkansas do unthinkable things in front of Arkansas grads working at the Cotton Bowl?

Is that why you fire a coach? No. But it all adds up.

If you tell someone to cut it out and they don’t, what do you do?

I go back to one of the options, you just allow them to operate anyway they want and look the other way.

I think that’s what some here are advocating. If you win enough, there are no rules. Obviously, some think that’s correct.

I wonder how much winning does it take? Would beating Alabama when they were up 17-0 been enough? Would beating Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl been enough? How about two victories over Saban? I’m guessing yes.

That may be a sad commentary on what college athletics has become. Or it may be a sad commentary on where Arkansas football sits and how much we all want to be out of the abyss.

5 Likes

I Thanks Clay. I could not recall the story as to whether AD offered him a contract with reduced comp as condition of continued employment.

The cumulative effect of multiple instances is also something many of us not involved daily would have knowledge.

Just like the way Coach Broyles and Coach Richardson could not make it work in the end, perhaps Coach Petrino could not make it work for himself. Or perhaps put better, refused to play well in the sand box. Leaving many unsympathetic in the end.

In the end, the fan base suffers.

We will never know how Petrino would have done had he not been fired, but if there were rankings for worst firing of a coach, the firing of Petrino would be #1.

1 Like

Was the AD asleep at the wheel & so out of touch with activities within UofA sports operations prior to the Petrino firing, such that the AD was unaware of the affair between Petrino & the staffer?

I assumed the firing of Petrino (despite being the only option for the AD based on the negative & embarrassment to UofA per Petrino’s public lie) was an opportunity for the AD to cover his rear for being so inept & not knowing of Petrino’s affair, or at least not addressing it before it became a bigger problem.

The firing at least showed some assertiveness on the part of the AD, only for him to revert back to his ineptness & failure to recognize the growing problems with Beliema. Under Beleima, AD not only overlooked the football decline & CBB personal issues, but he rewarded CBB with extended contract & ridiculous buyout that financially encumbered the UofA with $ millions of liability.

the last place that Bobby Petrino Coached at the last year was bad the reason his record was so good was because the recruits that he inherited from the last coach was very good that waswhen he coached at Arkansas

Yes. There are not many coaches who can win games consistently with lesser talent.

Obliviously, his replacements are different. They lose games despite having more talent.

We must make a change now. Who we have now is failing miserably.

With regards to talent, one issue that I remembered from Petrino days was that many top recruits, including die hard Hog fans such as Ryan Mallet, chose to play elsewhere rather than for HDN. After Petrino was hired, Mallet transferred from UM to UofA.

Our record during the first 2 years under Petrino was bad, but he turned it around in years 3 & 4. Was that due to recruits he inherited or due to players he recruited & developed into a top 5 team? Seems that CBB inherited great talent, I assume Petrino recruits, that made CBB successful for a brief time until the talent again declined.