Why do LSU players stay?

Not only LSU though. DVH went down the list of schools where they have tons of players who turn down the draft and nice money to come back and play. MSU, OM, Vandy, Auburn.

I know we have had a few. Campbell could have gone (but he has a lot to work on). Knight had a nice chance to improve his position. But the guys that stay here usually don’t seem to have a lot of options (Gates, Bonfield, Shaddy, etc.).

The guys seem to love it here, love playing for DVH, for the fans, etc. And maybe it’s just my perception? But it seems like they are all gone ASAP. I know about losing leverage, etc., but that’s the same for any team and players.

I’m not trying to start anything negative. Just wondering. Maybe I’m just paranoid.

Believe you will find most of the LSU draftees are underclass men and this will be their bargaining year ala Knight

They might be draft eligible but have another year of bargaining. Most that will be true seniors do not return. Knight was draft eligible after his sophomore year because of age, but didn’t sign because he wanted more money. Basically, he priced himself out of his draft spot last year. I would not advise very many to return for their senior season.

The great player from Dallas Baptist who was the MVP of the regional got only $40,000 to sign this year. That is a pitiful amount for a great player.

You won’t find many players staying past their junior years. As someone pointed out above, LSU had at least one player this year who turned down the pros because he was a draft-eligible sophomore. The same happened at Ole Miss.

Arkansas and most of the other SEC teams are doing a better job than they were five years ago of identifying players who are going to come to school instead of take the money and skip college. There still are a few exceptions and there are always going to be. A lot can happen between when a player signs a letter of intent in November and the signing deadline for pro baseball eight months later. Sometimes they improve so much that they are drafted higher than they ever dreamed of being drafted, and sometimes they just figure out that college isn’t for them.