Why Chaney didn't start at Providence

While surfing through posts, I suddenly remembered some of Mike’s comments from last year when fans were asking why Gafford wasn’t starting before he did start. If Chaney doesn’t start against Indiana that will confirm what I thought of.

I think Mike is trying to manage Chaney’s fouls. Chaney has been prone to fouls as a freshman just like Gafford was as a freshman. And there is no question refs call the game tighter in the beginning of the game than later. By bringing him off the bench, it minimizes that risk. Chaney fouled out anyway and perhaps proved Mike right, if that is the reason.

Managing fouls may also be the reason Mike was so hesitant to play him more at 4 with Gafford. Just a thought.

Chaney hasn’t played well when he has started. Has played much better coming off of the bench. I think that Anderson brings Chaney and Jones off of the bench instead of starting them to give us a big advantage in bench scoring. If he started both Chaney and Jones it would leave us pretty weak scoring wise when we sub.

[quote=“PJHawg”]

While surfing through posts, I suddenly remembered some of Mike’s comments from last year when fans were asking why Gafford wasn’t starting before he did start. If Chaney doesn’t start against Indiana that will confirm what I thought of.

I think Mike is trying to manage Chaney’s fouls. Chaney has been prone to fouls as a freshman just like Gafford was as a freshman. And there is no question refs call the game tighter in the beginning of the game than later. By bringing him off the bench, it minimizes that risk. Chaney fouled out anyway and perhaps proved Mike right, if that is the reason.

Managing fouls may also be the reason Mike was so hesitant to play him more at 4 with Gafford. Just a thought.

[/quote]I agree. While defending Chaney moves / defends with his arms. That’s too visible and too prone to touch the guy on offense. In contrast Gabe is one of our best defenders using their legs to be in position and to apply pressure on the offensive guy. Improving leg strength and positioning is not an easily learned skill…especially with a normal focus on shooting and dunking.

Totally agree… he comes off the bench and gives us a spark sometimes so I’m good with him not starting

I noted at the time he was starting that he didn’t handle it well, then did much better when he returned to coming off the bench. I think he needs to figure it out though. We may need him to start/take up 25+ minutes next year either at the 5 or the 4.

Chaney was underutilized this year, in my view. He was out of position, playing behind Gafford. He should have been playing alongside Gafford. He is the future, not Gabe or Bailey. Let him play and develop. Try to visualize how good Chaney may have been if he had started…he only started a couple of games. He is a freshman…let him play through the mistakes. Whether he starts or not, he did not play enough. He is not a center…he is a 3 or a 4. Let Gabe or Bailey sub for Gafford. Gabe, Bailey and Chaney are all about the same size. The manner in which Reggie Chaney was used by Coach Anderson was perplexing to most of us. It was pretty obvious is was not pleasing to Reggie Chaney.

In nobody’s world is Chaney even remotely a 3. He can’t put the ball on the floor for even a couple of dribbles and he has no shot outside of the lane.

Well he might be a 4 but definitely not a 3. It’s been said on here before, we are not at practice or seeing how he is working to develop his game. If your range is 10 feet and under you might want to spend more time working on your shot. Maybe he does and just lacks confidence. I have no idea but Mike does.

At 6-7 220 lbs…he is not a center…that is for sure. Maybe he is a tweener, but he is no center. He is probably a 4. He is not a 5 or a 3…I agree. But he is the size of a 3.

The manner in which Coach Anderson used Reggie is puzzling. Nobody really knows what position he is suited for. That is my point in how he was used this year. Play your most talented players…if you don’t, they may bail on you which our guys have done in last few years. Sometimes you have to play guys even if they are not quite ready. It was not like Gabe and Bailey were ready and they played quite a bit.

I don’t think he’s a center either. But, given the alternatives were Bailey, Henderson or Gabe, Chaney was the logical choice for back-up center.

He had a lot of turnovers on the wing playing 4 and also had trouble defending on the wing when he had to switch. With offseason work this summer, he can improve his handle and lateral foot speed to be a very good 4 next year on.

At Providence, he looked comfortable playing 5 in Gafford’s spot. That plus extended minutes got him in a good rhythm.

As far as his height, he just looks taller than what you are listing. Also looks taller than Gabe. He is built more like a 5 than 4.

We will see how he develops if he sticks around. His mother’s tweets are encouraging but who knows how he thinks.

This is all part of the way MA has managed Chaney. He started some games and for whatever reasons (I think just pressing himself to much) he didn’t play well and into foul trouble, plus he was the best option to rest Gafford. Chaney is a baller & plays hard, sometimes to hard which causes him to make silly fouls, turn the ball over, etc. But most of the time he comes off the bench and can be a lightening rod of energy getting steals, rebounds and all around better player. His is just a freshmen and gonna be a good to great player for the Hogs.
All of this rumor crap (I really hope is just rumors now) that keep coming out might be sparking him on the court I hope to prove to everybody he isn’t going anywhere.