Why Aubie wants Harsin gone

They want a recruiter. Mullen is poor in that area.

Then 3rd on the list I suppose

1 Like

I believe Kevin Steele has a shot. The Auburn mafia (or old booster regime) loves him. He played the game when he was there and they loved him. Gus did not appreciate it. I believe there are many in the Kevin Steele camp with power that maybe was not consulted in the Harsin hire. They are a factor this time.

We need to remember, just a short time ago many (inside and outside) were saying similar things about our program. Sam has been a blessing.

Spot on with your thinking, Sam came on the scene with the Hogs and made a statement and didn’t empty the coffers. Auburn may very well turn to a up and comer that’s hungry and checks all the boxes except the one that ask about head coaching experience. Auburn is in a pickle with their last two hires and appear to be lost on what’s their next move is going to be at this time. WPS

Auburn does not want an up and comer. They want somebody that knows the score with the big cigars who generally call all the important shots, cultivates those men socially, and will say/do anything to anyone to beat Bama and get in the playoff.

You might be right and if so they will get Petrino, Meyer, Freeze or the likes there of and should have their guy by the end of the day. I’m just not sure they want to keep traveling that same old road to a high priced dead end. Imagine what Auburn would have if they had hired a guy like CSP and crew with the players they are able to recruit. If I was Auburn I would stay away from the three guys above and go after Fickell a guy than does more with less and sign him for five years to get the program back and better than ever. WPS

The barners don’t want someone that rebuilds their program. They want instant gratification with 8+ wins a season, otherwise you gone.

As long a Saban is at Bama, doubt that any coach at Auburn will satisfy their fan base. Saban will out coach & out recruit Auburn, especially for the top in-state recruits.

1 Like

“They want somebody that knows the score with the big cigars who generally call all the important shots, cultivates those men socially, and will say/do anything to anyone to beat Bama and get in the playoff.”

Would Art come, and if he would, would Aubbie hire him.

I don’t think they would have a chance at hiring Luke Fickell. They are going to have to hire someone that doesn’t mind boosters all up his business all the time.

Money says Steele and lots of Aubbie alums of note are big in favor of Kevin Steels who has no pizzaz but lots of Aubbie roots. Another Toomers corner rooted guy who is quietly being evaluated in Jeff Grimes, currently Baylor OC. I got that from a guy who is a big part of FCA recruiting for Aubbie here in Nashville.

Steele took the DC job at Miami last week, and that was announced today. That might not stop Auburn if they have to pay a buy-out, but the fact he took the job may indicate that he already had a conversation with the Auburn power brokers and he won’t be the new guy.

Steele is 63 and has not been a HC since a disastrous run at Baylor at the turn of the century. He did coach Auburn in the Citrus Bowl against Northwestern after Gus got fired, where his defense got torched and Auburn lost by 35-19.

If it was any other school but Auburn, Steele would probably not even be a candidate, and sure would not be viewed as anything but a John L. Smith kind of hire. At Auburn, who knows.

I have a friend who is a big Auburn fan. We were e-mailing about the basketball game and their football mess today, and he had this to say about the football program. He said "People around here use an abbreviation for it: JABA (Just Auburn Being Auburn).

If Steele is hired I’ll bet good money that he’ll get a deep discount on the YellaWood used to build a new house…. :wink: :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.