Who's our realistic HC targets?

If you go after youth, style, and energy over experience:

Mike Norvell at Memphis.

If you go after experience, I’d pick Charlie Strong.

Both guys bring an offensive approach that fits our potential recruiting talent.

Charlie brings a lot of Texas recruiting connections and a track record of success. Mike is likely one of the top 5 up & comers who brings excitement and energy.

I’m good with either.

Jeff Brohm - Purdue actually is paying him quite a bit so doubtful
Chad Morris - probably the guy I would prefer
Frank Wilson - also extremely high on my list
Mike Norvell
Scott Frost - good luck beating Nebraska for him
Willie Fritz

I mean you have to reach out to Mike Gundy, but I think that is extremely unlikely.

The list above and:

Strong - unlikely though
Neal Brown
Matt Campbell

Yes. Good catches

I believe Chad Morris would be a great hire.

What about a Bryan Harsin? Hes coached in state before and seems to be doing well at Boise St.

or

Major Applewhite - Might be a bit early, but he would bring recruiting connections from Texas.

Mercy

B2 needs more time

BEST of the BUNCH and reported Salaries

Brohm 3.3 Mil Played QB for 7 different pro teams
Morris 2.0 Mil 1st two recruiting classes all from Texas
Norvell 1.8 Mil Lost to Frost(UCF) last week 13-40
Frost 1.7 Mil Nebraska Bound?
Campbell 1.5 Mil 35-15 (24-8) at Toledo, big upset yest. OU.
Brown 0.8 Mil 18-12 at Troy w big upset last week LSU.

Norvell and Morris are from Texas, Brohm and Brown from Kentucky, Frost Nebraska,Campbell Ohio.

I don’t see anyone on the first list that excites me and Brown and Campbell being put on lists after upsets appear to me to be knee jerk reactions with the likely outcome being that the firing squads have new targets in 3 to 5 years. This is not a keep Bielema post, just recognizing the fact that it might set things farther back with another failed hire, so it is not a decision to take as lightly as some seem to take it. That buyout money many expect others to spend is money that may have otherwise received for some other purpose that is now spent.

I can assure you I’ve not included either as knee jerk reactions. I believe it’s important the next coach be a proven builder. Bielema was a winner at Wisconsin but inherited a very nice situation.

Brown has done an outstanding job rebuilding the once proud Troy program. Campbell did an excellent job at Toledo and his second Iowa State team is much improved and maximizing their talent. Both are considered bright, up and comers.

You want to fire BB who was successful in the Big 10 and hire Strong who couldn’t win at Texas in the Little 12! Now that makes a lot of sense! I certainly value Long’s hiring practices over your’s. What a joke! I would much rather have Les Miles than Charlie Strong!

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

I can assure you I’ve not included either as knee jerk reactions. I believe it’s important the next coach be a proven builder. Bielema was a winner at Wisconsin but inherited a very nice situation.

Brown has done an outstanding job rebuilding the once proud Troy program. Campbell did an excellent job at Toledo and his second Iowa State team is much improved and maximizing their talent. Both are considered bright, up and comers.
[/quote]Brown may end up being a great coach, but as far as I remember Troy has not been winning the SunBelt, so are you considering the great victory over LSU as indication of the rebuilding job? I know hiring any coach is a crap shoot, but Brown and Campbell are a bigger leap of faith than I can make.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

Brown’s first year they were 4-8 as they shifted/adjusted to a new offensive system. Last year they were 10-3 . This year they are 4-1 with of course the upset of LSU.

Charlie?

Couldn’t do it at Texas
Handed talent at UCF
Nice job at Louisville

Not feeling Charlie, although I’m sure he would be a fine recruiter.

I like Frank Wilson and Chad Morris, those guys can recruit and work with nothing.

We don’t need someone who got handed the keys to a Ferrari, we need someone who restored a 64’ Corvette to its original beauty.

This is what you’re frothing at the mouth to see happen?

Neal Brown. Mercy again.

I realize I’m dreaming; but Chip Kelly? :ugeek:

Naw.
I’m dreaming.

You know all the studs started at a place like Troy. Nick Saban at Toledo, Urban Meyer at Utah, Justin Fuente at Memphis, Chris Peterson at Boise, etc.

Not suggesting he’s of that caliber, but because he’s at a place like Troy is not a reason to dismiss him as a potential upgrade.

As for my “frothing” it’s because we have a 21st century Otis Douglas as head coach. Not about who will be replacing him!

Honestly, get over yourself. Comparing Bielema to Douglas is just dumb. Bielema isn’t getting it done but comparing his competition to what Douglas faced is asinine.

As for your laundry list of coaches who started at a small school and later made big splashes, they’re basically good coaches that became great because talent met opportunity.

This is a much more difficult gig than Bama, Ohio St., Va Tech because of the recruiting advantages those schools enjoy.

Saban was just a very good coach with a slightly above average record at MSU. He became great when his built-in recruiting advantages at Lsu and Bama suddenly made him a football savant.

Neal Brown might be fine. Or, he might be Stan Heath. It’s just hilarious to me that you’re so hot for guys who haven’t proven anything at this level and have a great chance of being in over their heads, here.

He has been HC at Troy since November 2014. He was the offensive coordinator at Troy (2008–2009) and Texas Tech University (2010–2012) and the University of Kentucky (2013–2014).

What about that suggests he’s deserving of this gig? Nothing. One win over a down LSU team and you want to hand him the keys after 2 average HC seasons in the Sun Belt and some years as OC for bad teams.

Alrighty.