Who is feeling the love for Hicks at QB?

I attended the spring game and did not see any quarterback with arm strength, accuracy, or the ability to “spin “ the ball. I did see confidence and leadership qualities from Hicks which will be useful if he is “followed”. Of course that will be earned as time goes by with some success on his part. The main skill he will need is the ability to scramble, make very quick decisions, and deliver accurate throws under duress. Not many can, but I hope that he or Starkel will have some protection and time to be successful. We will go as our Oline allows. I hope for special team improvement in ALL AREAS. No more holding your breath on punt returns and punts, extra points. No more weak kick offs with poor coverage and tackling. If we can improve significantly in these areas we can win 5-7 games. Let’s hope we get coached up in these areas and improve. That’s what I’m really looking for…improvement and hope! What do y’all think?

I attended the spring game and did not see any quarterback with arm strength, accuracy, or the ability to “spin “ the ball. I did see confidence and leadership qualities from Hicks which will be useful if he is “followed”. Of course that will be earned as time goes by with some success on his part. The main skill he will need is the ability to scramble, make very quick decisions, and deliver accurate throws under duress. Not many can, but I hope that he or Starkel will have some protection and time to be successful. We will go as our Oline allows. I hope for special team improvement in ALL AREAS. No more holding your breath on punt returns and punts, extra points. No more weak kick offs with poor coverage and tackling. If we can improve significantly in these areas we can win 5-7 games. Let’s hope we get coached up in these areas and improve. That’s what I’m really looking for…improvement and hope! What do y’all think?

It has been many years since I heard it would take considerable improvement to win 5 games, but sadly, it is true.

Winning 5 games only takes beating 4 cream puffs and only 1 conference win. Our non-conference schedule is the weakest it may have ever been. Surely, we can win one conference game. If we go two years in a row without an SEC win…well, nobody wants to know what happens then.

[quote=“Michaeld2”]

[/quote]I’m hoping 2018 represented both an anomoly and a perfect storm for an historically bad performance for the Hogs. New coach. New system. New starting QB. A gaggle of new/inexperienced OL. Some key untimely injuries and a tougher than anticipated non-conf schedule. All taken together, the Hogs had two unexpected early losses before they traveled to Auburn for a thorough butt-whipping. And, the season was effectively over; the coach had no confidence and neither did the players.

That said, had the dice rolled just a bit differently early in the season, perhaps Storey’s and the rest of the offense’s performance would have beene visibly better. I’m hoping that what-if was the case. And that in year 2 we’ll see improvements simply resulting from more tenure under Morris and confidence among the OL. Throw in 2 seasoned QBs, more speed at the wideout position, more depth at LB and TE, maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised. I think Hicks’ stats will be as good for the Hogs as they were at SMU, if not better.

I have the feeling the team is going to be pretty competitive. They will win enough to get to a bowl. IMO

I think Arkansas’ QB play will be much better this year with Hicks, Starkel and KJ, who I think will get the four games he is allowed to keep his redshirt.

Hick, while not having a cannon like Mallett, does have enough arm.

Starkel’s appears stronger via tape, but we’ll once he starts preseason camp.

Not a fan of Hicks other than system knowledge and install assistance, watched some of last year’s SMU tape and was not impressed. I would like to see us get ahead in games early in the season so Morris will play Starkel for some reps, and hopefully from there he wins the starting position.

Starkel will be our QB after first 3-4 games.

Not saying he is an All-American, but you should go back and watch 2017 tape when he was with the current coaches and threw for 33 touchdowns.

You mean the year he was 8th in pass TD’s, but 14th in Interceptions thrown?

In fact, he threw a lot of passes, which often leads to lots of interceptions. He was #42 in the nation in ratio of TDs to INTs…not bad to me, throwing 21 more TDs than INTs (ahead of Ta-amu, LaMar Jackson, and Josh Rosen (and Starkel).

But, did not play against Power 5 conference defenses, while those you named all did.

Turnover machine. Barely 2/1 TD/TO. Needs to drastically improve and in the SEC you must not turn it over. This is not the AAC.

Chad Morris is finding this out the hard way. It does not matter how many players he recruits. I’d feel much better with a kid that know how to protect the football.