Who are the top candidates to

Be weekend starters next season? Any newcomers?

I could list just about every pitcher as a possibility, but the truth is I just don’t know what the coaches have in mind for that yet. I know Campbell is the No. 1 option.

I think there is a lot of excitement about how Kole Ramage finished the season and about Kevin Kopps’ rehab. I also think Bryce Bonnin is thought to be a key cog in their pitching staff going forward. I figure at least one of those three will start next season, but I’m not sure which ones.

Could Matt Cronin start? There was some thought of that last fall, but the decision was made to keep him in the bullpen. He would have to develop a third pitch if he was to become a starter.

Matt,
I’m not asking you in terms of starting or anything like that. Fall ball will reveal a lot. But what does your gut say about Keaton McKinney being able to pitch again?

I’m skeptical that he will be able to pitch again. It’s hard enough to overcome one Tommy John surgery, let alone a second in less than 12 months. I don’t think there are a lot of examples of what he’ll attempt to do, if he attempts to do it. He won’t be able to pitch in the fall. He won’t learn until December whether he will be able to pitch again.

Thanks, Matt.