Where’s Ricky Council?

Aloha,
Why has Ricky Council’s scoring evaporated? Change in offense? Scoring funk? I would think with the departure of TB and NS, the offense would go through Council but I don’t see it. Council is Arkansas’ best scorer and his lack of production and the the Hogs losing streak are directly related.
UA…Campus of Champions

3 Likes

Seems like Council, along with others, has lost confidence

2 Likes

He is a mere shell of the player he was earlier

Of course, it happened as competition level ratcheted up as well

2 Likes

Time to convene a council to recharge Council’s game. We need to help Rickey find his number. Which should be closer to 18 than 2.

Can’t score if you’re not in the game. Not gonna be in the game if you turn it over and struggle on defense.

2 Likes

He sure doesn’t play like he’s lost confidence. He sure shot the ball from some tough spots. No he hasn’t lost confidence. He’s lost discipline.

2 Likes

His shooting has gone south, he used to be money mid range, not the case lately

He has to be in his head. No other explanation.

2 Likes

He was effective as a result of having two key players who no longer on the court to drew major defensive focus away from him.

1 Like

He become the focus is opponents defensive game plan. Now they should change. He will come around. Pressing a little.

4 Likes

Now that he has become the focus of defenses, others need to step up. Walsh has to an extent. Devo has also, but needs to be more aware of opportunities to dish it off instead of single-mindedly heading for the basket every time he has it. Ford may be starting to show up and Pinion is finally doing what he came here to do, and then some. When others become more of a threat Council’s opportunities will reappear. Sharing is the key, and effective offense following that. But it’s that sharing that gets to be problematic when it leads to turnovers. Be careful, guys. Watch where you’re throwing it.

His D was suspect In Mo game at the end. He’s played better D than last two games. O usually compensates but he needs get confidence back

I think he’s fine. Other people are getting more shots so that leaves less for him. I still think he’s very capable of going out there and scoring 20 if we really need him to. But Devo AB and now Walsh are beginning to score more. I think that’s a very good thing it makes the defense have to account for more people.

1 Like

He is not scoring and he is playing without high energy. Muss jerked him within the first two minutes after botching a pass from AB. He returned to play 18 minutes without much offensive movement or scoring (1-9). He did manage a rebound of a missed Ole Miss free throw followed by a nice assist (not credited) to Pinion. He scored once going 1-6 and 0- 3 with one rebound. Frankly, until I re-watched the game I didn’t recall his playing as much as he did. I hope he can find a way to recharge before Tuesday night.

2 Likes

I think he will be fine he’s just going through a little stretch right now, kind of like Walsh did here a couple of weeks ago where he didn’t score but two points in two games. I believe he will be there when we really need him

2 Likes

We are having to learn how to play as a team with our scoring now being by committee instead of a guy having to get 20 points. When you have four guys on the floor that can score as someone else mentioned in an earlier post above Ricky is not getting as many opportunities. With the confidence of Walsh, Pinion and Ford on the rise shooting the ball we have become a more rounded team and playing minutes are becoming spread out over more personnel. I like how we played yesterday from watching the highlights and part of the game and like the direction of our team. If we get NSJ back to add more scoring this team might peak at the very best of times and with the emergence of the three guys above it will lessen the minutes players have had to play to give us some fresh legs down the stretch. Even though we didn’t win at Missouri we did see some improvement and we built on that yesterday. When Ricky comes back around and finds his place we become more diversified as a team with a deeper bench. WPS

2 Likes

Exactly what I said I’m not going to worry about him. He’s got it in him to score more if we really need him to. He’s just being a good teammate and not forcing shots when he sees other teammates are scoring well

1 Like

Ricky’s shooting mechanics are awful. Until he fixes that (stops flinging it), his upside is severely limited and bound to get exposed against better competition, IMO.

I agree with that. I am beginning to see why he came off the bench at Wichita State.

I agree he does have a kind of a funky shot but he hits 46% of his shots inside the three-point line and 79% from the free throw line. He normally has a very good mid-range shot that one he’s doing good he’s tough with that. He hasn’t been as good around though rim here lately hopefully he’ll get back on track soon

1 Like