Where do Hogs finish in SEC next year?

Now that we know for sure our roster for next year, and most teams have already landed their big recruits, how do you guys see the SEC playing out next year?

My predictions would be…

1. Arkansas
  2. Kentucky
  3. Florida
  4. Alabama
  5. Texas A&M
  6. Auburn
  7. Tennessee
  8. Ole Miss
  9. Vandy
  10. Mississippi State
  11. South Carolina
  12. Missouri
  13. Georgia
  14. LSU

I know most national pundits will have us probably pre-season #4 or #5 behind Kentucky, Florida, Alabama, and possibly Texas A&M with the return of Williams, however we’re probably going to be the oldest team in conference next year with arguably the best starting back court in the conference as well. I think this will be CMA’s sweet sixteen year here at Arkansas and he will win a SEC Championship as well. Also, think the return of the SEC is finally here. I think next year 6-7 teams will make the tournament.

[quote=“Blu”]
Now that we know for sure our roster for next year, and most teams have already landed their big recruits, how do you guys see the SEC playing out next year?

My predictions would be…

1. Arkansas
  2. Kentucky
  3. Florida
  4. Alabama
  5. Texas A&M
  6. Auburn
  7. Tennessee
  8. Ole Miss
  9. Vandy
  10. Mississippi State
  11. South Carolina
  12. Missouri
  13. Georgia
  14. LSU

I know most national pundits will have us probably pre-season #4 or #5 behind Kentucky, Florida, Alabama, and possibly Texas A&M with the return of Williams, however we’re probably going to be the oldest team in conference next year with arguably the best starting back court in the conference as well. I think this will be CMA’s sweet sixteen year here at Arkansas and he will win a SEC Championship as well. Also, think the return of the SEC is finally here. I think next year 6-7 teams will make the tournament.
[/quote] Agree for sure on LSU being last, and Missouri will be down there one more year, but everybody else should have a chance at playing for the tourney with about 6 or 7 battiling for our conference!

[quote=“rmmr”]

Comments: no official within the Georgia BB program will admit to it this early in the year however Fox is on the hot seat he won’t return for 2018 if his season ended as it did this past season. Therefore he will be desperate and the team very dangerous

[quote=“rmmr”]

Missouri will be MUCH BETTER. They have some decent pieces returning and a great recruiting class with #1 HS Michael Porter. His brother, Johntay Porter, is a similar stud and might reclassify to play next year.

I can see a Sweet 16 with this roster, but I just don’t see us winning the SEC. I can see KY, and Fl being ahead of us, although freshmen are unpredictable and I believe FL lost a few guys. As for Bama and aTm, I just don’t think they’ll be as good as people think right now. I think Miss St will end up a Top 5 SEC team. I think we will be 3/4.

Top 3, and with Barford and Macon combining for 37 pts a game - I think we can win the SEC.

[quote=“NavyHog”]

They will be better than they were last year, but the SEC is so stacked next year it’s going to be hard for them to do any damage. I’m aware of Michael Porter, however the rest of the guys are the same guys that only won 2 conference games last year and from what I’ve been reading his brother is leaning towards staying in 2018 so he can come in next year and “be the man” those were his words I believe during an interview with rivals. And if his brother does come, I still doubt they do much damage. They have a first year coach as well, they would have to have a ton of things go right for them to really be any good.

I agree with you on that. Things should be very interesting. One of the teams I think will do really well and surprise people is Tennessee. They were right on the cusp of making the tournament last year with a bunch of freshman, and they return nearly everybody. And Grant Williams is my favorite non-hog player. Dude has so much Corliss Williamson in his game. I think he’s a first team All-SEC guy next year and will be a beast the next 3 years for them.

Vegas and their bettors don’t think very highly of the Razorbacks chances next year. Their futures betting is not a pure ranking team by team, but the odds on winning next years National Championship.

Based on their odds, the Hogs are tied for sixth in the SEC with SC and A&M. MO had maybe the biggest jump in the college basketball history of Vegas futures betting. They opened at 300-1, and are now 20-1 and tied with FL for 2nd in the SEC. There had to be a number of really big bets to have that large a jump. I’m sure some betting came in on MO after the announcement of Porter, but this was an enormous change in odds.

The link below shows the Vegas odds for all the college basketball teams. I’d say Blu’s list will end up being much more accurate for the SEC than the way Vegas Bettors see the SEC.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas … s/futures/

My point is Missouri will make a big jump from 2-16 SEC to around .500 IMO. You add the #1 player (would be a lottery pick if he was allowed to come out) with Puryear, Phillips and Barnett, and you will see a much better team. They also have a couple kids from last in Van Lear and Geist that are capable off the bench. Unlike the past 3 years they can put out a legit SEC starting 5.

.500 is probably their ceiling if everything goes right. Just because you have the #1 player doesn’t mean anything. Washington had the #1 guy in Fultz and the #7 recruiting class in 2015 to go along with him and they went 2-16 in conference and 9-22 overall and it was in a weaker conference than the SEC will be this upcoming season. And I’m suppose to believe that Mizzou will have drastic improvement because Counzo Martin, who underachieved at Cal, and the Porter’s Dad who did a disaster of a job at Washington and lost his job, are suppose to somehow take a 2-16 group of guys and be good, because of 1 player?

They also got a 4* PG, and Porter’s best friend (4*C) decommitted from Illinois and named Missouri one of his schools of interest. They’re gonna be better. I agree with you that rankings don’t mean everything (see that in football all the time), but Missouri is gonna be significantly better.

Here’s Washingtons 2015 and 2016 class
http://washington.247sports.com/Season/ … ll/Commits
http://washington.247sports.com/Season/ … ll/Commits

Here’s washington’s record: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket … on-huskies

Washington had waaay better talent than Mizzou and they were still horrible. Those recruiting classes don’t mean anything if you don’t manage the talent. I like the Counzo Martin hire for Mizzou, he’s a huge upgrade over Kim Anderson and great recruiter. But at the same time I’m going to be honest and not ignore the fact that he underachieved at Cal when he had NBA first round guys on his team. What makes you think with a lesser team in a better conference he will do better his first year at Mizzou than his 3rd year at Cal? And Michael Porter Sr. was the main assistant behind that horrible Washington team this year, and Martin hires him simply because of landing his sons. I’m trying to think of another program where the Dad was hired simply to land the sons and how that worked out, and if that program is “significantly” better right now or is it a complete dumpster fire. Let’s ask Josh Pastner and the Lawson’s Dad.

Also, it depends on the definition you guys have of “significant improvement” if by significant you mean they go from 2 conference wins to 5 or 6 conference wins, then I fully agree with you guys they probably will win that many games, that would be my prediction as well. But, if you guys are talking about them winning like 10 or 11 games in conference next year as significant, then I don’t buy that at all. Michael Porter would have to be the next Lebron James for that to happen.

I think they be a 9-11 win SEC team. They were in several games last year. Anderson even said everything would be going good and they would find a way to lose. Different coach, significant upgrades at at least two positions (again waiting for Porters buddy to decide), and they could have a change of attitude. Don’t be surprised if Missouri ends up 5/6 in the SEC. I know you don’t think so, so we will disagree until the season, then we will have an idea.

I think we’ll be good next year. Equaling this year’s finish (T-3) would not shock me. But expecting an SEC title is a serious case of Hog-colored glasses IMO. The SEC title is Kentucky’s to lose until they prove otherwise.

One thing about me, I don’t do the whole kool-aid or colored glasses thing, I look at things objectively and try to get my opinion based on that. You can check my post history, I was spot on with my pre-season prediction of us last year, got both non-conference and conference wins projected correctly. I was a little off on the team the year before I said we’d win 18 games and we won 16. And the year before that I predicted we’d be the second best team in conference and win 25 games, we won 27.

The reason I have Arkansas being the best team in conference is because I watch a lot of college basketball and it’s a guard dominated sport. Teams with really good guard play do really well, especially if those guards are older. I think Barford will be the best guard in the league next year, that’s why I was saying with our without Macon we’d still be pretty good. But, with Macon that gives us the best guard combo in the conference. And this will be CMA’s oldest and deepest team. It wouldn’t surprise me if this team went undefeated at home next year.

As far as Kentucky, they have a good recruiting class coming in as usual. But, there’s no Monk or Fox in this class, those guys were probably the best guard combo in college basketball in recent history, who has had 2 top 10 picks as their starting back court, that rarely happens even for Kentucky. They lose all their veteran leadership, they are completely starting over, with really no marquee guys that are guaranteed lottery picks, it’s possible they may not even have a guaranteed one and done on next year’s roster. Right now Draftexpress has Diallo as their best prospect for 2018 draft and he’s at #22 and he’s thinking about staying in this year’s draft.

Yea we’ll agree to disagree on that.

I’m not ready to jump on the SEC Championship bandwagon, but UK has this really screwy roster right now if Diallo stays in the draft. I don’t know how Calipari has gotten all these forwards and centers to sign. As far as I can tell, right now they have a gazillion 6-8+ players and three guards, and the guards aren’t top-10 players like Monk and Fox. They are ranked low enough that they become hit-and-miss in terms of instant impact. A high ranking guard may be waiting on the Diallo decision, however. They will have zero experience in the backcourt for the first time in a while. This might be a year that the SEC is more wide open at the top.

Yea, I don’t think Cal tried to do any type of chemistry making with this class, looks like he just took whoever the highest rated guy was that wanted to come there, so he could say he had the #1 class. They have too many forwards now and somebody in that mix is going to get left out.

As far as us being the SEC champions… who would be your favorite? The more I think about it, behind Arkansas I may go Alabama as the second team. I kinda like their chances more than Kentucky and Florida. Florida lost a whole lot of senior leadership, I still have them as 3rd just because of Allen, Chiozza, and Egbunu. And Kentucky we already talked about. With Alabama, they were right there in the mix last year, and they return nearly everyone while bringing in a top 5 class and Avery Johnson has overachieved both years he’s been there. Plus, I had forgot that Daniel Giddens will be eligible next year.