When will the NCAAB Epidemic End?

The bad officiating one, I mean.

I watch a lot of games, and the number of fouls being called is killing otherwise entertaining games.

When did we decide giving defenders no chance to play defense and instead turning every game into a parade to the FT line is more entertaining?

Why are we bailing out offensive players with the dumb, flail backward while dribbling move?

It’s dumb.

Agreed. Refs can make some games almost unwatchable. You can literally call a foul every single play if you wanted to. And some refs have decided they are going to do that.

At Arizona yesterday Florida took some of the same poor officiating that we normally get and it cost them. The officiating favors the blue bloods. The offense can literally use a guard to run in and throw it up and a trip to free throw line. Like Kentucky does. Like North Carolina did to us in the NCAA tournament the last 3 trips. It’s called money and ratings. We can even get a fair shake at home. You can believe this for the hogs to win we have to make shots from the field.

If the refs allow the offensive player to initiate contact and then calls a foul on the defender, it is impossible to play defense without fouling unless the defender runs away. The NBA is pretty good at getting rid of the rough stuff without excessively bailing out the offense.

Poor Trey gets called everytime for his potbelly LOL. He jumps straight up, with his arms up, but the guy bounces backward and they ref bails the shooter out.

Yeah the backwards flail initiating contact is infuriating. You won’t see the NBA refs bail out guys for that crap.

Refs are calling it like the rules say.

Players and coaches need to adapt. Play defense with your feet not your hands. Hand checking is illegal.

AAU can be blamed. All teams carry 15 players. All players play every game. Hence, players don’t worry about getting into foul trouble.

That’s said, I don’t like watching free throw shooting contests either.

The problem Saturday evening was the lack of consistency. The bald headed brothers from a different mother were calling minor contact fouls on us but letting the Gophers-particularly #3, body up on defense inside and bang away on the boards. What was even more galling was the way those two were making calls on inside play from 25 or 30 feet away all night.

[quote=“nlrbuzzard”]
The problem Saturday evening was the lack of consistency. The bald headed brothers from a different mother were calling minor contact fouls on us but letting the Gophers-particularly #3, body up on defense inside and bang away on the boards. What was even more galling was the way those two were making calls on inside play from 25 or 30 feet away all night.[/quote:1x8vo4g2]
“Bald head brothers from another mother”…lol!

[quote=“Southpaw”]

Players and coaches need to adapt. Play defense with your feet not your hands. Hand checking is illegal.

AAU can be blamed. All teams carry 15 players. All players play every game. Hence, players don’t worry about getting into foul trouble.

That’s said, I don’t like watching free throw shooting contests either.[/quote:ijayg1v3]

False. Refs are calling defenders who are in good position, don’t initiate the contact, don’t reach, are vertical, aren’t hand-checking, etc for fouls.

You can move your feet all you want but if you do what you are supposed to do and it’s repeatedly called a foul, that’s the problem.

[quote=“Southpaw”]

That’s said, I don’t like watching free throw shooting contests either.[/quote:d42vcxtf]

False. Refs are calling defenders who are in good position, don’t initiate the contact, don’t reach, are vertical, aren’t hand-checking, etc for fouls.

You can move your feet all you want but if you do what you are supposed to do and it’s repeatedly called a foul, that’s the problem.

[quote=“Southpaw”]

That’s said, I don’t like watching free throw shooting contests either.[/quote:27taatt7]

You can move your feet all you want but if you do what you are supposed to do and it’s repeatedly called a foul, that’s a big problem.

NotoriusPig, you criticize officials after almost every game.

Has it ever occurred to you that officiating might be a very difficult job?

The ones you criticize are among the best that there is. If they weren’t the best, they wouldn’t be calling the big games and they wouldn’t have lasted so long.

Remember, coaches can blackball officials.

[quote=“Southpaw”]
NotoriusPig, you criticize officials after almost every game.

Has it ever occurred to you that officiating might be a very difficult job?

The ones you criticize are among the best that there is. If they weren’t the best, they wouldn’t be calling the big games and they wouldn’t have lasted so long.

Remember, coaches can blackball officials.[/quote:2f9mqohp]

Oh geez. Every game? I can recall 2 games I’ve gripes about this year and they were UNC l (Tar Heals 21 FTAs, Hogs 8 TOTAL) and Minnesota (Minny 37!!! FTAs to 13 Hogs FTAs) Both games were officiated poorly. And, it wasn’t just the FTA totals that reflected it. There was inconsistency all over the place.

Yes. It has occurred to me that it’s a tough job. It has occurred to me that the sport has become very difficult to watch.

It has occurred to me that it’s routine for it to become a March to FT line.

It has occurred to me that a team shooting 40 FTs isn’t uncommon.

It has occurred to me that there’s often no consistency in terms of what’s a foul.

Sorry if I hit a nerve. My guess is you are a ref or have a friend or family member (as do I) who is a ref.

I have complimented NBA refs a lot. You’re pretty familiar with my ref posting history. Hopefully you recall those–the ones in which I have said I wish the CBB refs were more consistent like NBA refs and rewarded good defense and realize no one is there to see the best players consistently sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

I officiated high school for ten years but have been out if it for 20.

Yes, you see things differently once you’ve been there. It’s the same in many professions whether it be coaching, law enforcement, legal…anything I guess.

[quote=“Southpaw”]
I officiated high school for ten years but have been out if it for 20.

Yes, you see things differently once you’ve been there. It’s the same in many professions whether it be coaching, law enforcement, legal…anything I guess.[/quote:122ghjcy]

Very true and I am involved in the latter 2 and understand it’s easy to be a Monday Morning QB until you have to be the one making decisions.

I guess I just think the sport had lost its way by equating more points to more excitement. Maybe the refs are just calling what they’re being told to emphasize. I just think it makes it really hard for the defense to do anything other than run out of the way.

I think the excitement comes from up and down action, steals, live-ball turnovers, monster blocks, etc.

But, I agree–officiating and coaching and playing and everything else is easier said than done.