When I hear

that certain players are “rusty” or “aren’t used to the speed of the game,” it makes me wonder about Preseason Practices.

Are we scrimmaging enough in preseason? Obviously, we are trying to avoid injuries, but are we going too far in that aspect? Scrimmaging can be done without tackling to the ground and hitting the QB.

Since BB has taken over, we’ve always started slowly. Only a missed field goal by La Tech saved us last year in an early game.

Former OC David Lee was a huge proponent of lots of live scrimmages and encouraged Nutt in that direction (according to media reports).

According to yesterday’s Hog Baseball Reports, our hitters were hitting off live pitching from our regular pitchers on the first day of practice. That was the first day of practice for a season that doesn’t start until February.

Dan Enos doesn’t run a “Hurry up Offense” which is what FAMU utilizes in a attempt to run 80+ plays a game.

Basically it’s one thing to look at it in a film room but quite another to see it unfold live on the gridiron.

It’s reminiscent of Tennessee Defensive Coordinator attempt to prepare for Georgia Tech’s Flexbone after havind had months of preparation for but they practiced against a Offense in the spring & fall that isn’t even remotely similar.

(You just can’t simulate either with backup’s)

But by the 3rd qtr of both games both SEC defenses (Player’s & Coordinators) had adjusted accordingly.

Fortunately for the University of Arkansas defensive player’s familiarity & or comfort zone with facing (run & gun) Offensive minded teams will pay dividends.

Alabama, South Carolina & LSU are more smash-mouth oriented which is what Arkansas actually see’s in practice every day. The other 75% of the schedule is a track meet.

Bama brought in Kiffin to convert (& did) to a HUNH concept. That is scary a SMASH MOUTH HURRY UP offense!!! LSU did not allow byu to cross midfield and has a QB -SCARY. I’m starting to worry!

[quote=“Southpaw”]
When I hear that certain players are “rusty” or “aren’t used to the speed of the game,” it makes me wonder about Preseason Practices.

Are we scrimmaging enough in preseason? Obviously, we are trying to avoid injuries, but are we going too far in that aspect? Scrimmaging can be done without tackling to the ground and hitting the QB.
[/quote]You can scrimmage every day and still not really replicate the speed of a real game. It’s not necessarily that the players aren’t trying (although that can be an issue) as much as that there is the adrenaline factor when you know you’re going against another team in a game that counts. Of course, the other side is hyped up as well.

It’s just different. And this applies to everyone else, too. Not just Arkansas.

If I remember right, the way they tried to replicate game speed for the defense a few years ago was by having two offenses go against the No. 1 defense. In other words, Practice Squad Offense #1 would run a play, then Practice Squad Offense #2 was ready and ran a play while Offense #1 was getting ready for the next play and so on. The No. 1 defense had to be lined up against both squads. Whether they are replicating game speed that way now or not, I haven’t heard.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Wiz, good point, but there are lots of programs that don’t start slowly every year.

I think not hitting quarterbacks is correct but it does mean timing can be off.

Slightly changing the subject…but our tendency to start slow is why I celebrated last weeks win instead of bitching and moaning. We had 2 initial bad series…and a bad INT. Then dominated. Without showing much.

I worried about 2 things mainly: 1. Defense…especially at safety, and 2. Running game.

We looked much better in those.

And don’t tell me we played a cupcake. We have looked much worse than that against cupcakes in recent memory.

Our oline played well in the running game. That was a concern. Let’s now see how it goes against TCU. Very quick…fast…not big. We shall see. This is the test. We didn’t fail the test last week.