What was the purpose of shutting down comments on WHS?

Was there a technical reason? Was it to force those guys to join our board or subscribe? Was it to control comments better to keep from having dual, identical comment threads? If the latter is the case, I did not mind reading both. I do mind reading Hawg Lounge just to see if the former WHS guys are commenting over there.

I considered the folks commenting on WHS provided a lot of value to the stories and to WHS. If they no longer comment, period, then you’ve shot yourselves in the foot and it would be nice to know what the strategic plan was.

Because no one was posting on the boards–it was all in the comments. Very simple.

When the board first started, there were several threads about the lack of traffic.  I and a couple others pointed out that there were discussions going on in two different areas and asked if there was any way to tie them together, so that comments posted in both locations.  Apparently that was too unwieldy, so they moved the comments to the board.  
 That's the way it always was on HI, I guess it is a bit of an adjustment for the WHS guys.  Several have complained and threatened to leave over the changes, same as some of the HI posters.  I think like most things it won't be that big of a deal once everyone gets used to it.

Two places to post. Two places to monitor. Not enough people or time to handle both areas. Simple as that.

I understand that. I hope we haven’t lost those guys.

Your reasoning is valid as an administrator.
However, the WHS model had comments associated with specific stories. I then come on here to join the discussion of a specific story (it’s only a few extra clicks)…but most of the stories doesn’t seem to appear with specific threads.

If we are encouraged to comment, and we are directed to a certain page for commenting, then it should be readily apparent that we can find what we are looking for.

Unfortunately, you’re seeing that the initial returns arent great, and you haven’t provided the structure here to ease the transition from what was working in the alternate format.