What warrants a charge call?

Aloha,
Could someone please explain to me the official criteria to call a charge in NCAA basketball? I previously thought the defender had to be outside the arc under the basket and his feet set. Not allowed to move into a player shooting.
I ask because against NMS, JD was called four times for charging while the defender was in motion.
UA…Campus of Champions

I have the same question. I’m sure there are technical criteria for the call, but it appears to me that different ref crews have different views. The call is not consistent in the games I’ve watched. No way did JD have four charges in that game.

1 Like

I think they have changed the charge .I heard in one game they said if you are in front of the player and in position you are allowed to be moving

Feet don’t have to be set. As long as he’s in legal guarding position and he’s outside the arc, and the offensive player initiates the contact, it’s a charge.

2 Likes

It really depends on what type of mood the ref is in and who has the ball!

3 Likes

and how much he was paid under the table.

According to which way the wind is blowing, most unpredictable call in basketball it seems, also there is no known time limit that you can stand in the lane on offense if your jersey is blue in color!! WPS

I think Jaylin has drawn charges in the same way Notae was called for charging. I did not argue with many of the fouls called on JD.

That last charge on JD was very questionable. But since he had 4 previous charges the ref went into auto mode with the 5th.

1 Like

I would have called JD for charge on all his calls. The feet do not have to be set. On moving, I looked at offensive players shoulder. Both players have equal right to a given area on floor. Who initiated the contact is not the be all, but certainly important

I would all but the last one. What I saw on replay was JD moving in a straight line, defender slid in front of him and initiated contact, feet not set, and no arm extension/push off by JD.

The problem is his earlier charges were obvious, and that’s where the subjective part comes in, the question of this post. The refs had already seen JD charging multiple times and had that set in their minds. They were looking for him to charge again when he drove the lane, and they saw exactly what they were looking for.

The last charge was a block. The defender was moving and never got in front of JD, and he cut through JD as he initiated what contact occurred. They could have called a flop, a block or no call at all. Their bias against JD based on his previous calls probably factored too much in the last called charge.

JD stops himself more often than the opponent. His bulldog straight ahead moves frequently nets him too much pine time.

1 Like

The other thing that nets him too much pine time is that he’ll turn it over or brick a shot at that end, and try to make up for it by making a steal at the other end, and gets a reach-in foul.

True, it seems to be the norm for players to overreact after they have their pockets picked or shot blocked. He is so quick he just thinks he can usually tip the ball out of an opponent’s hands. He is probably right about 40% of the time. He simply doesn’t seem to fully grasp how much weight an extra foul or two on him weighs into the potential outcome of the game. No one else on our team draws the attention he demands and that helps his teammates in many cases.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.