What to expect from JD Notae

An analysis of transfer guard JD Notae’s game, plus insights from two Florida Times-Union writers who covered him at Jacksonville: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019 … -jd-notae/

Kind of reminds me of the scouting report on Jalen Harris

lets hope he shoots better than 12% from 3, and that he is as quick as Jalen

GHG

Sounds like he could be an outstanding defender for us. If he’ll make good use of our practice gym in his red-shirt year and get his 3 point percentage up to near 40% he will be a great pick up.

Harris’s three point percentage before coming to Arkansas was way better than 12%. That is why I said “based on scouting report”. I should have added “when we signed him”.

I thought Artis Gilmore was the greatest player in JU history?

Just looked up his career college stats:

24 pts
22 rebs

He was a monster back in the days when bigs roamed the earth.

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1102808769229217793

Not bad in both the NBA and ABA either…pretty good career stats.
Led his team to NC game back in '70…lost to UCLA coached by Wooden.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo … ville.html

That Jacksonville team had two seven footers at a time when there were very few of them. But back then a small school like JU could recruit people like that and succeed. Didn’t hurt that as a black player Gilmore (who was a JC transfer) was off limits to the SEC at the time. I’m not sure if the other JU big was white or black.

I looked up the Final Four teams that year. UCLA, JU, St. Bonaventure (who had another big you may have heard of, Bob Lanier) and New Mexico State. Jacksonville did defeat Kentucky in the Elite Eight to reach the FF. Lanier got hurt in the Elite Eight and did not play against Jacksonville. The players on that Bonnie team think UCLA (between Kareem and Walton) was vulnerable and could have been beaten if Lanier were healthy. Even without Lanier they only lost to JU by 8.

Pembrook Burrows was the other 7 footer and he was black. Almer Lee was playing for Arkansas that season and I’m pretty sure that Vandy had broke the color barrier by then. JU also started a guy named Rex something who was in the 6’9- 6’10 range.

The “best player to come through the program” line was in reference to North Florida, not Jacksonville.

Kareem was Lew Alcindor back then.

Well aware of that, but I figured our younger posters might not know who Lew Alcindor was.

The other 7-footer at Jacksonville was Pembroke Burrows III, who was also African-American. They had a guard, Rex Morgan, who saw some NBA time with the Celtics; Morgan was white. I knew Morgan was on that team but for some reason I’d forgotten Burrows’ name and was thinking Morgan was the other big. Burrows was drafted by Seattle out of JU but never appeared in an NBA game.

Burrows went on to a career in law enforcement in Florida.

First, it should be pointed out that Stevie Wonder’s 3-point shooting is probably “way better than 12% (i.e., Harris in 2019)”.

Second, Harris WAS MUCH better in his 1 season at New Mexico than he was this year for us - but hardly “robust”. He shot a less than mediocre 25.9% from distance for the Lobos. Meanwhile, Notae comes to Arkansas as a career 35.2% 3-point shooter, which is already a very respectable percentage.

In fact, his first season (when he shot fewer 3’s), he shot at a 40.5% clip. At Arkansas, where there will be more players to share the scoring load, there is reason to think a more selective launching of the 3’s will lead to success in the upper 30’s or even lower 40’s.

I remember that era of college basketball very well. Oddly (here), I particularly remember the New Mexico State team that was in the Final Four.

I grew up in El Paso (due to Dad working at nearby White Sands Missle Range), and the Aggies (New Mexico version) were big rivals of UTEP (formerly Texas Western, the only Texas-based team to every win the NCAAT, as famously depicted in the movie “Glory Road” a decade ago). NM State had 2 supreme talents on that team - Center Sam Lacy and guard Rod Collins. They also had a very good small guard named Charlie Criss. UTEP was led by future NBA all-star Nate (Tiny) Archibald. The Miners and Aggies had some great games in those years. Didn’t really move the needle on a national level in the era before ESPN showing as many games as they do now; but it was a very good brand of basketball being played, even if under the national radar. So, it was no surprise to me that the Aggies made it that far.

Also, I remember all of us (my basketball buddies) being fascinated by the “twin towers” that Jacksonville had. As I recall, the rest of their starting line-up had some height as well. And, UCLA was . . . well . . . UCLA. So there were some intriguing story-lines going into the Final Four.