What This Board Lacks..

is true understandable analysis.
The Merrick and Wallace thread is a great example. Why are they not playing? What exactly is the true freshman doing that those two are not? This question has been asked over and over on this board with no information available.
In the age of closing practices to the media I understand that information might be hard to come by. I also understand that coaches don’t like to point out individual’s flaws. But this also opens up the window for negative speculation on the coaches not knowing what they are doing, the player is stupid, etc. This is where a reporter earns his dough. Truly addressing the issues that the readers are hungry for.
What is so hard about asking the head coach or the OL coach exactly what Ty is doing that no one else is? Specifically. It seems it would benefit everyone for that kind of information to be on the record. You do not have to even name the names of those not performing by just saying what the high performer is doing differently. And yet two games in, we still do not know. We just know he is playing and others aren’t. Info you can get by reading the depth chart.
I have asked questions like this before and been met with “Someone else is playing better.” Really? That is what you get paid to provide? That is what we pay for the site to receive? Snide, idiotic responses like that?
Jimmy Carter seems to really put in the effort to analyze. To take deep dives. Once you get past the UAF crap that is always inserted in his pieces they generally are very informative. Others here should do what he does when it comes to issues like player performance and the depth chart. Really get down to the specifics. Not just say they aren’t playing because they aren’t doing well enough.
When there is a vacuum of information, negative and misinformation will always rush it to fill the void. That is where reporters come in, to fill that void.

Yep … you’ve nailed it. A lot of questions will not be answered this board. which is a good indication that you should not get your info from a message board. One of the biggest homers you could possibly imagine is a moderator here.

And if you post something that is not quite right, it will be deleted. This is “Hogs are the Best” board. if you even remotely disagree … you are a"hater".

So when the insiders on this board bring you the info that the coaches put a speaker in a player’s helmet to talk him thru what is going on in practice, that is not enough good enough for you? You need the reporters to actually spell out for you that the kid makes too many mental errors and may just not be smart enough to play at this level? If it was your kid out there, would you want that kind of info available to the public? Do you think if a kid breaks up with his girlfriend, or is homesick, or has any one of a hundred other personal problems that can effect a kid living away from home for the first time in his life, all that dirty laundry should be aired out for you for your $10 bucks a month?

This is very similar to all the complaints about reporters not asking hard questions. Do you (or others in general) really think the reporters are scared to ask, or is it just possible that the reporters don’t ask because they know that a lot of times the honest answer would be that the kid is just not good enough, but he’s the best we have?

Wallace lost his job by having poor performances in practice. Earn your job.
That’s what was put out about that! Wallace had problems last year as well.
Tonight we did not run enough plays to worry much about Oline play.
The thing that needs to be done is simple if you want to know something post your question to Richard or Dudley about recruiting.
If it’s a question about a game or scheme
Swine fusion is good at answering questions. So is Marty but Marty I think is a baseball guy. Matt answers all kinds of questions.
But no one is happy and with a bye week let’s hope the team can regroup and get it together. Tonight was an offensive failure.
The defense played well enough to win.

So when the insiders on this board bring you the info that the coaches put a speaker in a player’s helmet to talk him thru what is going on in practice, that is not enough good enough for you? You need the reporters to actually spell out for you that the kid makes too many mental errors and may just not be smart enough to play at this level? If it was your kid out there, would you want that kind of info available to the public? Do you think if a kid breaks up with his girlfriend, or is homesick, or has any one of a hundred other personal problems that can effect a kid living away from home for the first time in his life, all that dirty laundry should be aired out for you for your $10 bucks a month?

This is very similar to all the complaints about reporters not asking hard questions. Do you (or others in general) really think the reporters are scared to ask, or is it just possible that the reporters don’t ask because they know that a lot of times the honest answer would be that the kid is just not good enough, but he’s the best we have?
[/quote]

I believe I acknowledged the limitations with which reporters work. That is why I suggested that the specifics of the top performers be the approach rather than tearing apart the struggling player.
And I think you already know the answers to the other questions you ask that are designed to make me look bad. As always you cannot discuss any subject that someone doesn’t transparently try to act smart by making you look stupid.
My intentions here are good, but you clearly missed that.

You are correct, I missed that. Probably because you posted “…Someone else is playing better.’ Really? That is what you get paid to provide? That is what we pay for the site to receive? Snide, idiotic responses like that?” If that is snide and idiotic, and you agree the examples I provided are out of line, what exactly do you expect to hear? It is obvious (IMO) the coaches believe that Clary makes fewer mistakes at guard than Wallace does at tackle. Anything more than that requires calling Wallace out.

Sorry to be so hyperbolical (I am as frustrated as anyone), but to me that sounded like unwarrented criticism of the insiders here due to frustration with how the team played. They don’t need me to take up for them, but sometimes I feel they are in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position that doesn’t get acknowledged.

"So when the insiders on this board bring you the info that the coaches put a speaker in a player’s helmet to talk him thru what is going on in practice, that is not enough good enough for you? You need the reporters to actually spell out for you that the kid makes too many mental errors and may just not be smart enough to play at this level? If it was your kid out there, would you want that kind of info available to the public? Do you think if a kid breaks up with his girlfriend, or is homesick, or has any one of a hundred other personal problems that can effect a kid living away from home for the first time in his life, all that dirty laundry should be aired out for you for your $10 bucks a month?

This is very similar to all the complaints about reporters not asking hard questions. Do you (or others in general) really think the reporters are scared to ask, or is it just possible that the reporters don’t ask because they know that a lot of times the honest answer would be that the kid is just not good enough, but he’s the best we have?"

Thank you for this post. Easy to be critical but there is always something else going on that we fans are not privy too.

I am anxious to see how this staff responds to challenges they have now. The TAM game will be a huge game for both coaches and I am looking forward to it.

The answer was that Wallace made more mistakes in practice than Clary. We did write that Wallace was practicing with an ear piece so that the coach could point out the variances of the defensive alignment when he was approaching his stance position to point out the sequence of keys in his mental preparation for each snap. He shouldn’t have to do that. He didn’t have to do that with the other linemen. That is a key piece of information.

Do you really expect the coaches to publicly get into specifics about weaknesses of players on their roster for the sake of curious fans? Might that be valuable to the opposition? Are opposing coaches so dim that they couldn’t match anonymous criticisms of positions to specific players? I’m pretty sure the players know why they aren’t on the field. After a loss like that is there really anything the coach can say or do during or after the game that will satisfy fans that he knows what he is doing?

Jalen didn’t start playing football until his junior year of HS. He’s still pretty green experience wise.

He need make strides in the spring. One of the best parts of being with the team four days in the spring was watching film with Bret. He showed some clips of Jalen and how he was able to pick up some stunts where in the past he wouldn’t.

I think Clay, Matt and Jimmy do a great job of analysis working within the constraints of what major college coaches do now with their practices.

I’m not a great analyst about football and have never claimed to be.

That being said, I do think I am pretty good at day-to-day reporting and finding out details around the program.

I am better in my analysis on basketball - in large part because of my six years being on Coach Sutton and Coach Richardson’s staffs.

Jalen Merrick has not been the player Arkansas - or Alabama or Florida State or Miami, etc. - thought he would be.

Ty Clary impressed the staff as soon as he arrived on campus and simply won the job as much as Wallace, who has also not been the player college head coaches thought he would be - lost it.

It’s clear that junior college OLs Paul Ramirez and Deion Malone (now on defense) were misses.

When the team doesn’t fare well, most lash out at the media. It’s just part of the job.

But I think it usually is about the coaches and players not getting it done and fans being able to get to us and vent when they can’t to the coaches and players.

It is true that ultimately the bottom line belongs to the players and coaches but sometimes the media will really play up how great a recruit is and how great things are going with the program because they know their paying subscribers like to hear those things. Then when things go South it is convenient to say “don’t shoot the messenger”.

Local media would have to rank near the bottom of problems with the football program IMO

…hopefully the Insiders will improve during the bye week. Just kidding, guys…you do a great job. Lotsa folks upset about the team and this is their only outlet to let off steam.
I’m getting to the age where I just try to enjoy the games. If the kids play hard and the coaches try hard, I’m okay. But, I realize I’m in the minority.
Don’t get me wrong, I pace and chew my nails during the games, but I look forward to football season so much during the rest of the year. I try not to let the losses ruin it for me.

I don’t think anyone around here thought it would be as dismal a performance as it was.

But I also don’t think anyone around here has been calling for a 9 or 10 win campaign.

As far as hyping recruits, Richard and I give credit where credit is due.

I mean if a kid rushes for 200 yards or catches 5 passes for 170 yards or has 20 tackles - that’s what we write.

If he rushes for 2 yards, goes 5 for 20 passing or drops TD passes, we report that as well.

If the Arkansas staff beats Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, etc. for a recruit, that is duly noted.

If the staff beats McNeese State and Louisiana-Monroe for one, that is also duly noted.

We don’t really write negative stories about recruits because there is rarely anything negative there.

We talk to the recruits and the coaches about the upcoming season, how the games are going, who they are being recruited by, what they are looking for in a school, etc.

Again, I get the fact that if a signee doesn’t pan out, it is easy to blame the media.

But we don’t choose them, sign them, participate in their development and so on.

As noted, given the present system in place with media only given access that is controlled , the problem is not the media as they only report what they can see\ hear for themselves or verify via third party sources. That is also a catch 22 when you have to respect the information flow to get information flow.

The issue is the product or performance on the field does not square with what is noted behind closed doors. Coach B said as much that the team he saw in practice did not show up in the game Saturday. Maybe or maybe not depending on coach speak but we fans saw the results and now the question is essentially did we see the reality or did the coaches fail to take the game from practice to the field. Honestly not worth debating as the proof will show itself on game day going forward anyway. I understand the coach speak and protecting players, etc. but in year 5 the willingness to give a benefit of doubt is less than year 1 or 2, esp. when the off season theme was finishing the game. There was an opportunity to finish and kicking issues aside the pregame projections had the teams scoring 24-31 points each so a 14-7 game was there to be had in fourth quarter if we had finished. Frank R said it best —time to talk is over, it is time to do it. Fanbase is struggling after four years to hear same call to action.

The TAM game will be a report card on where Coach and his team are headed. I hope they get it fixed as we are five plus years in getting relevant again and starting over is not appealing but good money chasing bad money is not a winning model either.

This board lacks nothing, in my opinion. I enjoy the recruiting stories that Richard and Dudley write. Dudley is right that there are rarely negative stories about recruits because if they are being recruited by a Division 1 school, that in itself is a positive.

As far as the inside “scoop,” reporters are kept at such a distance from the players and coaches these days that it’s hard to know all the details. And much of what they may know, that they may get from just being around the program, if reported might cut off what access they might have. I don’t want to know personal issues (girlfriends, homesickness, etc.). If a player isn’t playing, obviously the coaches don’t think he should be playing and, quite frankly, they are ones being paid the big bucks to make those decisions–not the media, not the fans. The media can ask questions, but they likely won’t get the “juicy” details, just what the coaches/players want to put out.

These writers do an excellent job. If they didn’t, I wouldn’t spent my money here; I’d go elsewhere. I assume others believe they are doing a good job because they are spending their money here as well.

And, BTW, it’s funny that some are being very critical of CBB for what he said about Cole Hedlund, but some want the deep scoop on why Ty Clary is playing. Just an interesting thought to me.

I know why fans gripe about their Hog news. Nobody ever expected a game like this. The Razorbacks looked untalented and undercoached. It was one of the most miserable performances Hog fans have seen in a home opener. And TCU did not look like a worldbeating opponent. Arkansas was incapable of doing basic things that would have made it a close game. It was stunning how bad the offense was, and the kicker was awful. If this was the game we were shooting for, what the heck was wrong with our preparation?

What fans know about the team comes from the news media, so naturally people will wonder why the preseason tone of optimism and improvement contrasted so greatly with the performance against TCU.

It’s not up to the media to make Arkansas’s preseason preparation sound and thorough. If you believe reporters conspired to hide an impending disaster, you’re being petulant. Something was not right - we should have dropped the optimism when the Hogs reshuffled the offensive line at the last minute + lost two big receivers to injuries + had their top returning receiver out of practice for eight months. We fans all glossed over too many complications. When Austin Allen was unable to run an efficient passing game against Florida A&M, we should have been alarmed.

This team can make a lot of progress from that horrific beginning, but at some point players get tired of being led into brick walls. If the coaches reestablish their leadership over this team and turn it around, I’ll be very impressed. This is a huge challenge.