What is the philosophy of Coach Pittman?

What will the offensive and defensive philosophy be? Is Pittman going to be a “hands off” CEO type? I assume he won’t be involved in in game play calls, but he’d sign off on it before the game? These are things that are normally known with a new coach.

I advocated for Pittman in the beginning and then started thinking about Leach with his dynamic offense when so many were saying NO to Pittman because of his lack of head coaching experience. I then got persuaded to get on the Lane Train and when that wrecked I was OK with Drink or Larsin. When news broke Sun afternoon that Pittman was a strong candidate I started remembering why I wanted him in the first place.

A successful coaching staff can be put together in different ways. Some very successful staffs have a head coach who is the offensive coordinator while others have head coaches that are like football CEO’s who supervise all phases of the game. Saban at Alabama and Orgeron at LSU have been successful CEO types while Malzahn has been successful calling the plays so both systems can work.

I like Pittman because I see him in the Saban / Orgeron mold whereby he becomes that tough CEO who has his hands on everything and for me Pittman was the one guy who I could envision being very much like Saban or Orgeron. Kiffin, Leach, Norvell, Drink and Larsin were guys who are more like Malzahn and there is nothing wrong with that but I just felt like Arkansas needed that tough CEO to provide overall leadership.

Saban and Orgeron were smart enough to surround themselves with good coaches and both coaches have dynamic offenses even though Saban was once noted for his defensive genius and Orgeron for his work with linemen. Pittman must now demonstrate that he is more than an offensive line coach by putting the right coaches in charge of the offense and defense and I believe he will do that.

When Pittman was being suggested the knock was his lack of head coaching experience and quite frankly I think most just could not envision an offensive line coach becoming the head coach. Posters wanted an example of an offensive line coach who had made that successful transition and of course Orgeron was the immediate example that came to mind, but there is another guy who I thought of and that is Andy Reid.

Go back and look at Andy Reid’s coaching experience and you will see that he started out as an offensive line coach and after many years of bouncing around in that capacity he made the jump to that of a head coach and to make a long story short he is now the successful head coach of the Chiefs and the guy in charge of maybe the best offense in the NFL.

Time is the only thing that will tell whether all those years of experience has prepared Pittman for this job but Reid, Saban and Orgeron make me believe that leadership and toughness matter and I just think that Pittman fits that mold to a tee.

My hope now is that he is smart enough to surround himself with the right coaching staff just like Saban and Orgeron have done and if that happens this program is headed in the right direction.

3 Likes

Definitely see him as a CEO type head coach that will hire a good RPO/Spread OC(Lashlee or maybe even Rich Rod) and a stud DC(Odom please!) with him focusing on the OL, DL, recruiting and motivation like Coach O.

At least I see that that as the most probable way that this will be a successful hire.

Said he wasn’t a philosophy guy last night. Just wants thEm to be tough, physical , and relentless.

Sam said he’d gotten 150 texts from coaches wanting a job. Assuming Lunney and Traylor stay, that leaves 8 positions to fill. I figure he can find 8 good ones out of those 150. But if one of those 150 is Charlie Strong I’d have a hard time turning him down.

I don’t have a clue what he’s going to look for offensively. We tried RPO for the last two years and couldn’t move the ball against air. I’d rather be effective then follow the modern trend. If Sam wants to go pro-style, let him do what he feels is best.

Just stop! 3 of our last 5 basketball coaches were African American. Stop your constant race baiting that bears no evidence other than your opinion.

1 Like

Every time you bring up this race crap with absolutely no merit I’m flagging the post for removal.

1 Like

That’s what we need

From jr, not the post that’s flagged

Phil Fulmer

No more from Jr? Poor kid. He was dead wrong, too