What is Jeff Long talking about?

From Bo’s show:

“I compromised what I believed in because I thought a certain kind of coach needed to be in this conference to compete. It’s a regret, really, of myself and not living true to my values and what I believe in.”

I guess he’s talking about regretting the hire of Petrino, the only modern UA coach that took us to a BCS game. Fine. Whatever. But I’m more worried about his implication that we are “competing” in the SEC now.

We are not competing at a high level in football. Really not even close. Either Long doesn’t get it, or he doesn’t really care as long as other boxes are checked. I think it’s the latter. Long caught himself in the interview and tried to say winning was important, but this and other stuff he has said is a window into his soul in my view. Lots of mediocre football ahead, boys.

Arkansas has finished 0-8, 2-6, 5-3, and 3-5 in league play during Bielema’s tenure and at no point have we realistically been in the SEC West race.

Arkansas has not been competing for championships. Will we in year five? Hope so, but I’ll have to see it before I believe it.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]
From Bo’s show:

“I compromised what I believed in because I thought a certain kind of coach needed to be in this conference to compete. It’s a regret, really, of myself and not living true to my values and what I believe in.”

I guess he’s talking about regretting the hire of Petrino, the only modern UA coach that took us to a BCS game. Fine. Whatever. But I’m more worried about his implication that we are “competing” in the SEC now.

We are not competing at a high level in football. Really not even close. Either Long doesn’t get it, or he doesn’t really care as long as other boxes are checked. I think it’s the latter. Long caught himself in the interview and tried to say winning was important, but this and other stuff he has said is a window into his soul in my view. Lots of mediocre football ahead, boys.
[/quote]we get it, you don’t support The Coach or the AD. I know this is a discussion board, but just like the main stream networks feel that they must continue they keep their focus on their agenda ad naseum, the hash and rehash on how they don’t recognize winning is the only measure that is important and how Bobby Petrino should still be the Coach regardless of any lies he told, any vulnerable position he put and might continue to put the University in, has been clearly established by you and others.

I, for one, do not agree with your disdain for Jeff Long, Coach B or the high regard you hold Bobby Petrino. As much as I enjoy winning, I enjoy being proud of the character and class that our Athletic Department exemplifies. In addition, I still believe that the process of doing the right things the right way will yield the best and most sustainable results.

so exactly when have we competed for it?
The year we were #3 in the west with CBP and got smashed by both LSU and ALA.

Yes we have won the west in watered down years, ala was weak and LSU was also. Both Miss schools were pretty much a win.
Oh yeah and TAM wasn’t in the SEC then
In the championship games we were pounded by GA and FLA

I like the way CBB plays and recruits. We will be better and still not win the west? yes
Hell only ALA has a shot at the west every year and then Auburn.
LSU should always be in the race because they can get better players just in LA than we can in most states

I love how people say we shold win the west every year when we HAVE NEVER done so in the past

I have never seen that posted or spoken in my entire life.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

Understood. You and those of your ilk are exactly who Jeff Long and Bielema have snowed. Character and class? Exemplified? Oh please. That crumbles when you look at that Belk Bowl fiasco last year, and the lack of buy-in generally from the players last season. Besides, as long as the players are not routinely in trouble, then no one cares if a bunch of 18-21 year football players act nice and make good grades. College football in general, and even at Arkansas, is a seedy business. Let’s not pretend differently. Wins need to happen, and I guarantee you many more Hog fans ascribe to my view than yours if they were honest. How this will ultimately affect Jeff Long, I don’t know. He is very good at cultivating his career and playing the politics. So is Bielema. My fear is Long’s worldview of giving other things priority over winning will be the permanent, irreversable culture up there. It is sure trending that way.

Here’s my unpopular opinion. But true.

People don’t give a lick about how much character your football team has, nationally. When you think of quality men playing football you think of Duke/ Harvard or some other prestigious top notch academic University. Yeah I am glad as an Arkansan that we have quality guys. But when is the last time a team won a conference championship because they were great guys… never. We are in the big bad SEC, we need to be seen as just as mean and tough as the rest, and as of late we aren’t. We got pushed around and bullied like a bunch of preppy punks in a mans league this past year. You can be big and mean and still present yourself as respectable young men, but this year all I saw was a bunch of soft minded kids who couldn’t handle a punch in the mouth. That goes for the coaches more so actually.
Alabama gets nothing but praise nationally because of how they perform on the field. Yes they have their problems off the field but that’s rarely the discussion when talking about Alabama, it’s always “Who’s going to compete with these guys.” Or Saban is the greatest of all time, even though he’s a A** to his coaching staff.

Alabama has some quality guys sure, but they have an overwhelming amount of quality football players, and coaching… thus championships. I’d love for Arkansas to be discussed the way that Alabama is, because everyone in the country fears playing them whether they admit it or not.

I think we have a quality group of guys give or take a few, Belk bowl did show us that they aren’t all great characters like we are led to believe. The coaches, I believe we have some stand out guys, and 1 maybe two stand out coaches. M. Smith for sure, the rest I’m still deciding, I really like B Lunney.

But, in the world of sports one thing will always trump other accomplishments, Championships. So while we may be producing quality men, that’s great, but at some point I want a championship in my life time.

As for Jeff Long. I’m not a fan. He may say he cares about winning, but I’ve yet to be proven this is true. We will see I’m sure in the future, maybe I’m wrong.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]

I do not think the Belk Bowl misbehaviors are as conclusive evidence of contradicting my feelings regarding the character and class of the total athletic department as you seem to say. Further, it seems you are inclined to be harsher on these kids than what I read from you from regarding Petrino. Regarding college football being a seedy business, some of us may not be as comfortable with seedy.

We haven’t won a conference championship, even when we had the bad guys and a seedy coach. In fact we were kicked into the ground by the 2 top dogs in the conference those years as well. finishing 3rd with that amazing 11-3 record.
As for Ala, they don’t have a bunch of thugs on their teams either, they just get the best 4 & 5 star HS talent in the land, whom 99% have the grades to qualify for the SEC, oh one that didn’t qualify was from here in AR as I recall. CBB caught hell for not offering.
Trust me the best players are more often than not, the good guys too. Now if you have a solution to out recruit Saban, bring it and someone might listen. Our staff would win big with his recruits I’m sure.

I think you have mistaken my comment as a call to recruit thugs. That’s not what it is.

It’s more of an appreciation of Alabamas recruiting, acknowledging their vast amount of talented football players with the occasional bone head.

It was more of a dig at the “uncommon” slogan of recruiting. It’s a tag that I have said from the beginning was created to as an excuse for bringing in a select few guys every year who aren’t highly recruited by major power 5 schools, and who typically over the years don’t add up to much. I think the slogan gives a little slack with pressure because while they may not be exceptional athletes always they are great kids with an uncommon attitude. I don’t care frankly, if they cant play football at an SEC level they are a practice body and we’ve seen some guys who have yet to prove their worth, highly recruited and by highly recruited. I know that’s a common thing in football, but the lack of recruiting at the safety position has really shown its presence. Great guys with bright futures yes, but our three guys who rotated at safety last year aren’t SEC level. I know that they will probably be starting again this year, and I’m sure they have developed a little more, but that doesn’t change the fact they aren’t an elite level group of football players. Yes CBB has had more success recruiting than previous coaches but you can dig at CBPs 3rd place season and lack of ability to win a conference championship, but by god at least we were competitive and a 10 win team. That was nice.

How do you recruit with nick saban?
Well first of all you have to win, and beat nick saban. You can beat him with a less talented team if you are an exceptional coach. CBB is not that, so he better start winning and recruiting more 4 and 5 star guys. Maybe convert to a DT qb at some point, and make sure that he never loses coach Michael smith. He is by far our best recruiter and an absolute necessity to the football program.

By the way that player you were referring to that failed to qualify is going to be playing at Missouri this season.
So he did qualify.

It’s early June and a dead time that begs for discussion points. Yet some choose to jump on Long’s comments about Petrino and those fans are the win at all costs, recruit like Ole Pi$$ and bring up Petrino as if his ethics are sustainable for the long haul. Petrino type coaches and Ole Miss ethics catch up to the School and they eventually fall hard. I have a large network of fans that I know and very very few have the view that some on this thread have that miss Petrino or worse yet are willing to do a fraction of what Ole Miss did. This is a dynamic of the message board culture that allows extreme views to fester in the shadows with no accountability. I want NO part of the Petrino type culture and VERY few do.

Even BP’s best team that was as close to being as even as one of Saban’s worst couldn’t beat him at Fayetteville. So yes it takes an exceptional coach to beat him. Which we haven’t had in that regard so far. But the one we have now beat Les Miles @ both places, while you know who couldn’t.
Yea the qualifier burnt the midnight oil so to speak to qualify I guess. Neither Saban or us were going to wait on that. We will have to wait in see how that pans out.
We are recruiting the 4 & 5 star guys just like the rest did, landing them here is the issue, although as of late this staff has done better than our previous ones in that area. Even recruiting a DT QB from the home state now, like that is the final piece of the puzzle needed here to win, which it isn’t. Average to pretty good offense & really Good Defense is what wins.

Petrino is not coming back. Somehow he got it to happen at Louisville and that explains a lot about Louisville. I wouldn’t want that for my state. I do not compare Saban to Petrino. Saban is a hard liner, but he is not a bad person. Petrino is that. He did not keep me from doing my job or mistreat me, but I saw the way he treated others. That should not happen on a college campus. I believe in my heart he would have tried somehow to talk Rawleigh Williams into returning to play again after this second deal. He would have tried to manipulate the doctors, families or something. Bret was not going to do that.

I agree with most of that.

But, CBP is an elite coach on the offensive side, he’s an elite offensive mind. He didn’t value defense enough and didn’t have the athletes on that side of the ball to beat bama and LSU. If he had a stud DC he would’ve been hard to handle.

I’m not sure what CBB is good at, besides cooking. I see his pictures of his dishes and they always look tasty.
I think we got a pot of fools gold so far with him. He looked like an amazing coach coming out of Wisconsin, but we see now that program is on cruise control for 10 wins every year. I like CBB and was a huge supporter of the hire, and I sure hope he gets it going this year, but I am really questioning how good of a coach he actually is 4 years later.

I know recruiting in Arkansas is tough. And no I don’t think a DT qb is the fix all component. I do however think it is something that could help, I like Gerry and hope he ends up a hog, but he alone won’t fix the problems.

I think we have a lot of young talent, and it’s probably time to let them get their feet wet instead of hanging on to upperclassmen who are less talented. I don’t expect a 10 win season this year honestly I don’t even expect an 8 win season, so might as well get some experience in play for next year.

Really??
You must not read as much as I thought.

There are guys on here and 24/7 that think we should never lose a game and ALWAYS be in the race for a NC.
I will post all of them I find just for you

Heck, there are 3 on the board now in other threads that say almost to the letter what I typed