What if?

Matt Jones was the starting QB during the Darren Mcfadden era :)…I think we win a national championship if that was the case

Sure. What if we had Dan Hampton, Dennis Winston, Steve Atwater, Ken Hamlin, Billy Ray Smith Jr, Ahmad Carroll, et al on defense on that team? Too bad it doesn’t work that way.

Some of those players I know of some I don’t but that sounds like an Arkansas super defensive team…I wonder who would make the all Arkansas squad I know I said Matt Jones but during my tenure as a fan Ryan Mallet is still the best qb I’ve seen come through the program

What if Wayne Harris returned to play middle linebacker?

We could have had Clay, Dudley, Richard and Scottie blocking for them. :slight_smile:

If we had the best Ark players of all time 2 deep at each of their positions, there’s no doubt we’d win a national championship. Of course, a lot of schools could probably say that–at least if their opponents didn’t have the same luxury.

lol hilarious!

What year did he play?..The best linebacker for my era of fanhood would probably be Freddie Fairchild and Martrell Speights

I am going to regret it but I will weight in on this subject. In 2007 we could have had enough ingredients for a run at a national championship if the Used Car Salesman and his loyal staff of idiots hadn’t let their egos get in the way.

If the Nutt case had left Malzahn alone and let him run his offense, he would have been the offensive coordinator for Arkansas in 2007 instead of at Tulsa where he led the nation in offense. Arkansas would have had Mitch Mustain and Damian Williams. They already had Darren McFadden, Payton Hillis and Felix Jones. They had a decent offensive line led by Jonathan Luigs. They had a defense that while not world beaters, they were pretty good.

Before 2007, the Nutt case brought in his old buddy David Lee who was really adapt at teaching quarterbacks to turn and hand the ball off. He made Lee co-offensive coordinator which was a slap in the face to Malzahn. Anybody who knows a tiny bit about football knows that David Lee pales in comparison to Malzahn. I leave it to you to decide what that says about HDN. With the talent he had including a Heisman runner-up, HDN managed an 8-4 record and 4-4 in the SEC. The score of the game with Tommy Tuberville’s Auburn team was 9 to 7 in favor of Auburn (what an offensive machine). HDN was extremely predictable on offense. He would even have his lead blocker slide and step to align himself with the hole the running back was going to hit.

Before the bowl game, Nutt saw the handwriting on the wall and took the golden handcuffs package of $3 million and signed to coach Ole Miss the very next day. After a season where his Old Miss team was embarrassed by Jacksonville State and he failed to win one SEC game, Old MIss paid him $6 million to get out of Dodge.

I know. Your going to say I’m overly bitter. But…I can’t keep from thinking about what might have been.

Wayne Harris was hands down the best linebacker I ever saw in a Razorback uniform. He played in the late 1950s to maybe 1960. He was runner up to E. J. Holub at Texas Tech in the All American balloting. He was better than Holub but at 190 pounds, the wasn’t projected for the NFL. He could hit like a 250 pound linebacker. Frank once remarked on his Sunday playback program that you didn’t have to see the number when Harris hit someone (nicknamed The Thumper). He was All-Canadian Football League for a number of years. In Canada the field is wider and speed is more important. Sorry, to get carried away but I loved watching that man play.

Well, I was once the power I back for a young man named Billy Warren who rushed for almost 2,500 yards his junior season so…don’t sleep on me. :sunglasses:

I would like to think of myself as the best-blocking Flanker who always seem to be in the backfield on the side we were going to run and still did with success even though the defense knew where we were coming.

That was 37 years ago. Geez.