What do we know about SEC replay office?

1. Who is Ken Switzer? Is he a retired field official that’s just not mobile anymore or does he come from some other organization?

2. How many officials are employed in the SEC replay box on a weekly basis and how many are in the pool?

3. Is it standard for a conference to have the replay booth put behind a big curtain we’re no one can peek it what’s going on behind the scenes?

Overall the same last weekend was either in confidence or corruption. I am going to air on the judgment side of incompetence.

3 Likes

Another question:

Does the replay referee see all the video angles we see on TV?

1 Like

I think all of the replay refs were once on the field. I actually know some of them personally. I do not know Ken Switzer. Every week I notice their names on the flip card. Often I recognize that name as a former SEC official. Some were white hat (referees) and some were not. All were considered top shelf officials.

There are two men in the box each week. One is the replay man. The other is an observer. And, then, the way I understand it, there are three men at the league office that are involved in the replays.

What I do know that’s different this year is that there are more league games each week. Playing 10 games among 14 teams – you can do the math – means there are more SEC vs. SEC games each week. That means the crews (both on the field and in the replay booth) are stretched thinner. It may be that more or needed. Not sure about that.

There are more close games and more controversies. That comes with just playing more SEC games.

You don’t have the luxury of sending a B team crew to an Alabama-Southern Miss game that is going to be lopsided. You don’t have an SEC vs. FCS game every week that could end up being called by a lesser crew. They are all SEC games.

No one has told me any of this. I just know it to be common sense and logical.

1 Like

Clay, you have also discussed replay availability in the past, and I think you determined that the SEC replay office sometimes does not have the number of views that we do. I feel strongly that on the fumble they watched a different view than we were able to see. We could see the view the official had because there was a camera essentially looking over his shoulder.

I mention this since Piggus asked.

I’m thinking a major qualification is to have graduated or at least got your ged from INEPT U.

1 Like

If there is a TV camera in the stadium, the replay ref sees the replay. They have access to all shots.

What is different this year is that there are games without a huge production crew.

For instance, I know at the Florida game, there were only five cameras. There was one at the 50, the two 25s and two high (coaches view they call it) behind each end zone. Nothing on goal line. That’s the way it is for many games this year.

Just like there are no announcers at the games, there are limited production crews.

I assume that’s all cost cutting and Covid related.

But I never said there are views the replay crew does not see. They have access to the TV replays. In fact that’s what they get. There are no cameras in addition.

If it’s the CBS game, there are pylon cameras and sideline cameras. But not for other games. So what I said there are views at some games the replay refs get that are not available at other games - because there are fewer cameras.

Exactly what part of Alabama was Switzer born and raised? Asking for a friend :yum:

I have a friend of a friend who overheard in a barber shop in Southeast Alabama that Switzer visits the Auburn locker room on occasion to withdraw from their unlimited ATM…

1 Like

That would not surprise anyone.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.