2 Likes

working concessions?

Those toilets don’t clean themselves

3 Likes

Any means necessary.

Seriously enjoy. An amazing place.

1 Like

Thanks

Will be my second time. Only two places I’ve ever been lived up to the hype: Yellowstone and Augusta National

Went Tiger’s last year as an amateur and Faldo won in 1996. You’re right, it meets or exceeds your expectations. Didn’t see one crabgrass. Greenest place in the world.

Also loved how they don’t gouge you on concessions. I bet I was able to get a sandwich, chips and a beer for less than 5 bucks back then.

1 Like

Pimento cheese sandwich. Best ever. I watched Tom Watson dump 2 balls in the water on #7. He was 1 shot out of the lead. It was about 17 years ago. Bucket list stuff.

2 Likes

But seriously, @MattJones - can you speak to a change in our recruiting philosophy in golf? Both the men’s and women’s team have killed it recruiting Latin players in the recent years. Was pulling for Julian this weekend, but happy for Mateo

Clay probably can speak to that more than I can, but I think word of mouth is a powerful recruiter. Maria Fassi told me she would probably never have considered Arkansas if it was not for Gaby Lopez, who was older and worked with one of the same coaches in Mexico. Lopez would come back and talk about how great Arkansas was.

I suspect you’re seeing something similar with the men’s golf program. A lot of these guys probably play against each other in amateur events and speak regularly. It helps that Arkansas has had a lot of success with golfers from Latin America.

2 Likes

I went to a practice round a long time ago it is an absolutely unbelievable place. Not a brown piece of grass anywhere. Was so glad my brother was able to go with me because we are both big golfers and I didn’t know he would die with liver cancer a few years ago so it made it even more special

I think that should be everybody’s bucket list thing to do.

2 Likes

Say hi to Chad Morris for me.

I did Yellowstone when I was 18 and then 18 years later at 36. I loved the surrounding activities as much as yellowstone itself. I’ll be back sooner than later. Not waiting another 18 that’s for sure. I’ve had some chances at Augusta, but seem to back out. Not sure why. I love golf and have probably watched every round of the masters as long as I can remember. Maybe I enjoy it on TV too much to shell out the dough. IDK. wife and kids now means Wyoming probably the better the trip.

NYC did for me…

Spent a good deal of time there over the years working with some pleasure trips with the wife. Fascinating city all the way around. Doing business with the retailers there was something else. Lots of intense discussions which actually I enjoyed. It’s like DC, you never have enough time to get around to everything you want to see.

I’ve been to the Masters a few times. It is an amazing place…kind of like heaven on earth. The tradition and history is so thick you could cut it with a knife. The attention to detail on the property is simply amazing.

One of the best things is how everyone conducts themselves…like Ladies and Gentlemen. No trash is thrown on the ground…patrons pick it up. It is spotless. if the rest of the earth was taken care of like Augusta National, this world would be in great shape.

3 Likes

Augusta is an incredibly beautiful place on TV, and I’m sure even more impressive in person. But it has unintentionally caused major problems for the golf industry. Club members see that perfection on TV and want the same perfection at their own course. Weirdly, that beautiful green is a sign of stress on the course; healthier grass is not quite that green, and the greenkeepers at ANGC have to get the turf on the brink of death for that one week (it’s significant that they close the course for the summer shortly after the Masters, to let it heal).

Anyway, getting back to the rest of the golf world, the desire to have your course look like ANGC requires excessive watering and a lot of chemicals, which are both expensive and not great for the environment. In turn, that has led to a lot of people who don’t want a golf course in their neighborhood, which has become problematic for developers and has caused more then one golf course project to be shot down by local planning authorities.

Swine, the reason the course is closed in May each year is because the course is Bermuda grass overseeded with rye grass. When it gets warm the rye grass dies and the course is left with Bermuda grass. The rye grass overseed is what makes the course so green and perfect. In the South, we call it “winter grass”. The greens are bent grass. The course is overseeded with Rye grass every year to make it visually stunning.

Bent grass for that area is a modified cool season grass that goes dormant in the heat of the GA summer. I am sure it is kept alive with a lot of water. The green color does not come from drought stress. It is true that grass under drought stress will take on an off color green, but it is a dull green. (I see plenty of that here). The bright green you see comes from plenty N and perhaps a little P & K that is watered in after application. I would guess most of the N is applied at least 1 month before , but most certainly in smaller amounts more often. I suspect it is applied via the irrigation water.

There is not one peer reviewed publication showing the pesticides used on fine turf break down to anything but CO2,and H2O with perhaps a little O2 released in the disassociation. You are correct that
it takes a whole lot of money to keep a place like that. I doubt many courses, especially public, could afford that.