We play D with our feet

Not our hands. That is huge and one reason I find it hard to be discouraged in any way by this team. We have waited a long time for this many defenders to play D the right way.

Correct, footwork is the best basic fundamental of playing defense in BBall, especially as it relates to lateral movement. If your footwork is sound then your most likely to be in the best position more often than not against your offensive opponent.
Unless your opponent is so quick and fast he blows by you faster than you can blink.

Much better defensive team than last year. We still foul a lot. One thing we do that is apparently taught by this coaching staff is switching on every screen. Doesn’t bother me if it’s a guard on guard switch but how many times have we seen Kingsley guarding a guard at top of circle and our guard defending their big man. This is flawed and it must be taught because we’ve done this the entire length of andersons tenure here. A really good team is going to exploit that over and over. I don’t see any other college or pro team doing this consistently.

I thought in the second half the refs were calling too many touch fouls. First half they let them play. A couple of muggings were overlooked. This was for both teams.

Moses switches and Trey doesn’t. We are out of position the most when Trey doesn’t switch because the guard was expecting a switch. I don’t know which way is best but I think it’s taught that way. Moses can switch. Trey can’t. Guards aren’t paying attention. The exploitation will come when the man Moses leaves is his size. That really hasn’t been the case with these smaller teams so the guards have been able to man up on the switch. I recognize your concern but think it’s a little more involved than you point out.

I think it is taught to automatically switch by our staff and if opponents know this sometimes the screen being set isn’t that good and we switch anyway. If the screens are good, occasionally you have to absorb a foul and take the screener out hard, he will remember that on the next screen he sets and may cause him to move during the screen, thus a turnover.

You see guards getting isolated on bigs all the time in NBA games. The three-point line leaves least-worst options to defend the pick and roll. The guard goes under the screen, and you give up an open trey. The guard trails, and you often give up a foul or an open lane to the basket. You switch, and you get mismatches. Stockton and Malone didn’t get to the HOF off the pick and roll because it is easy to guard if two good offensive players are involved. When watching the Hawks, if Schroder and Millsap are both making jump shots, their #1/#4 PAR is almost indefensible because both can drive with efficiency.

Also, Kingsley is a good on-the-ball defender. Guards often make the mistake of dribbling in front of him. He’s actually pretty good at picking the dribble.