We may as well get prepared for a ....

Musselman type coach to be named. And nothing is wrong with that.

All the declarations of . “Another Heath/Pelphrey” type hire if Sampson/Williams/Beard is not the guy are futile. We need to realize this job is not what it was 18 years ago. Sampson will just probably be this year’s version of Gillespie. Idk if that Smpson door is all the way closed but I’ve never felt he’d be a shoe-in to take the job.

Musselman (my personal choice) or aMusselman type can do a good job. They just have to recruit. Good thing about the coaches like Musselman that’ve been several places, they have many contacts and experiences. One of CMAs shortcomings was his loyalty to his staff which I think hurt him in recruiting at times. These “Musselman types” have likely had different staffs … worked with more people etc and I think that can be a huge asset in recruiting as well as on the court coaching etc.

I wasn’t on the “Fire Mike Train” but I wasn’t on the “we need to keep” him train either. But I do think we need to be ready to accept Musselman or somebody like him bc that’s the reality of where we are right now. Give them time to work … after a few years, then we can declare it a “home-run” or another “Pelphrey”.

I dont think we should accept that as fans. I see the talk about musselman being a plus for recruiting, but nothing hints at that as he almost entirely has relied on transfers. He has 6 guys who started leaving this year and he has one high school recruit. His all American kinda fell into his lap as he discovered him early because he happened to be playing against his son when he was 14. Beard has said that the fact Nevada were the first to give him a scholarship played a pretty big role in his decision. After snagging that McDonalds All American he barely played him 10 minutes per game. Most McDonalds All Americans are 1 or 2 year players ar the most, and will almost always go to a school they get more than 10mpg. This coach, according to H.Y will need to meet the standard of challenging for sec and ncaa championships on a regular basis, and musselman will not do that. H.y needs to come up with some magic, seeing as he really has no history of signing great coaches, hes fairly untested in that area, except baseball at ECU

[quote=“CeMatinLa”]

That’s my whole point … those coaches are firmly planted where they are or looking at UCLA… that’s admirable to have that high standard … and it’d be great to successfully fill the spot with one of those guys.

Ijs that apparently those guys aren’t dying to come here for whatever reason. Fell them out and offer the m what u can … I’m not saying don’t pursue them. Ijs as fans we need to prepared if those coaches don’t bite and Musselman types do.

Musselman does nothing for me. Reach at best. JMHO

That’s my point. It’s great to have thos high standards and be looking for those qualities, but those coaches are firmly supplanted where they are or looking at Better jobs. It takes more than throwing 4mil at somebody… they have to feel like they have a legit shot at much success to take Arkansas over more currently established programs.

Ijs bc of our fall off as a program over the last 18 yrs, that we are attracting “Musselmans” more than “Selfs” … and until we get that mojo back, that will continue.

The Self option was blown up by Chancellor White 17 years ago. Bill Self was an up and comer in those days, not the Coach of KU that won the Big 12 14 years in a row.

Eric Musselman fits the Eddie Sutton/ Nolan Richardson mold perfectly. Neither Sutton or Richardson had the equivalent of a five star player when they were hired. Both were smart, tough winners who excelled coaching college basketball. Both were successful on a smaller stage and took the resources of Arkansas and won on college basketball’s highest level.

It is impossible to please everyone, especially sports fans. If Musselman is the choice, we need to support him. If you hate the hire, let him coach here and see how he does. If he doesn’t work after a couple of years, fire him and get somebody different.

Let’s get this hire done and put the new coach to work. WPS

The Self option was blown up by Chancellor White 17 years ago. Bill Self was an up and comer in those days, not the Coach of KU that won the Big 12 14 years in a row.

Eric Musselman fits the Eddie Sutton/ Nolan Richardson mold perfectly. Neither Sutton or Richardson had the equivalent of a five star player when they were hired. Both were smart, tough winners who excelled coaching college basketball. Both were successful on a smaller stage and took the resources of Arkansas and won on college basketball’s highest level.

It is impossible to please everyone, especially sports fans. If Musselman is the choice, we need to support him. If you hate the hire, let him coach here and see how he does. If he doesn’t work after a couple of years, fire him and get somebody different.

Let’s get this hire done and put the new coach to work. WPS

Could be Musselman. Would you be OK with Greg Marshall? He wants Arkansas job.

Much rather have Musselman than Marshall. Marshall has done absolutely nothing since he’s moved to play against better competition in the AAC. Jury still out on if Musselman can compete against better competition on a nightly basis.