We are all orphans now

May this giant man, our Great Leader, rest in peace.

If you’re an Arkansan that was a kid during Broyles years as the head coach or AD, a part of you is missing today with his passing. It hit me as I was watching the ESPN story on his passing.

I couldn’t remember who first used that line a few weeks ago, but I’m glad you repeated it. As well stated a sentiment as I can recall. Every hog fan knows exactly what you mean. Thanks Scientific

I think we all knew this day was coming. Rather than be sad about it, I will celebrate this great man’s life and be happy that he will be trading in his broken body and mind for angel’s wings and eternal glory. He has fought the good fight, finished the race and kept the faith. How fortunate we all are, that he chose to spend the bulk of his life in our beautiful state, making our beloved Razorback athletic program one of the best in the nation.

We were blessed to have a man like Frank Broyles representing the University of Arkansas. RIP.

Got home in time to see some of the SEC network and Paul Finbaum, who I thought did a nice job in honoring Coach Broyles. They were talking about how people would refer to Coach over time. When I think about Coach Broyles, I think back to being a Freshman in 1971, living in Hotz Hall and Coach making his rounds to the various student groups. We were just wet behind the ears kids and he treated us like we were important to the program and that he wanted us to not only be at the games, but also to know things about the team and his plans.

It seems he was comfortable with all people and more importantly he made one feel that he/she mattered to him. He exuded class, I guess that is why I always felt bad when people took shots at him justified or not. In many ways, I feel he was a role model and example of class, humility and how to treat other people that gave and continues to give me behaviors to follow and/or aspire to.

He was a treasure given to Arkansas, one that will both be missed as well as one that will evoke memories of simplier times and certainly times of success and pride. I have unfortunately not lived in Arkansas in 40 years, yet have never lost my love for and pride in Arkansas and I think Coach Broyles contributed much to this. Job well done, good and faithful servant.

the fact we are all orphans now is profound for many of us

An Era has passed - it’s Sad

But look what Frank Left us

If now we can only take advantage of what Frank built

Rest In Peace Coach you were one of my Heros - you stayed with us when you had many other opportunities

The SEC Network’s “SEC Now” has a moving tribute to Frank in the first 5-10 minutes. It will show several times tonight - record it if you have not already seen it.

I’m 64 years old, and I don’t remember a morning when Frank was not in Fayetteville. He arrived there when I was 5, but living in far west Texas in the days before the internet and ESPN, I was totally unaware of such things. By the time my interest in football graduated from the games played in my front yard to Dad’s Razorbacks, of course, Frank was already fully entrenched at Arkansas.

I was fortunate enough to meet him briefly a handful of times, but I didn’t really “know” him personally at all. Still, I feel as if I have lost a family member. It has evoked memories of how I “grieved” when he stepped down from coaching. How could anyone take over and lead the Hogs after Frank? But then, he started expanding the interest of Hog fans beyond Football to Baseball and Basketball, not to mention Track. Soon, all of them were nationally competitive.

It will be odd, knowing he’s not up there anymore.

I know what you mean Wiz. Coach Broyles arrival in Arkansas preceded my birth by about a month. I’ve been aware of the man since at least 1964. A real thrill to hear him speak at our local Razorback Club when I was in high school. Hung on to every word, and I was not a kid with a long attention span.