Watching SEC Now

Dari Nowkhah asked Chris Doering & Gene Chizik to name the top three SEC teams. Doering said Bama, UGA & Auburn. Chizik said Bama, Auburn & UGA. Thinks AU’s defense is really good. However, it’s what he said next that caught my attention: “Nobody else is even close (to those three.)” I think he’s right. Glad we don’t play UGA this year. However I don’t think we’re much behind the rest of the SEC. Might not be behind any of them in any meaningful way. That’s not to say we’ll beat the not Bama-AU’s on our schedule, but I think we canwin at least 5 of our remaining 7 SEC games. Not saying we will, but I think we can. I’m not giving up on a 7-4 season.

-Our offense can score on any of the other 11 teams (minus Bama, AU, UGA).
-We scored 2x more points on A&M than USCe
-Our offense is 3 weeks behind in the sense that is just now playing like it should for the first game. Our Oline and WR’s performed far worse than expected. They are just now getting it together. The Oline is a talent issue so we are mired in that for the rest of the year. The WR’s were an inexperience VOID that is now starting to come around after a SBC opponent allowed us to get into a rhythm. Our QB has 3 WR’s now that he knows he can count on.

DEFENSE is once again the issue that will hold us back all year.
-I want to watch the A&M and NMSU games again to make sure, but our Dline gets good pressure when Ramsey is down next to Sosa. Ramsey ties up a blocker that normally helped on Sosa. It is a cascade effect that also helps Bijohn as the RG switches to help with Sosa.
-I think the Dline is asked to do some contain more than expected, so that could be why we don’t get much pressure at times. I think it is a knee jerk reaction to say we CAN’T pressure the QB, but I also won’t say we have a good Dline. We need another stud on the DLine to draw a double team next to SOSA so one of them will get a 1 on 1 with the OL. Sosa is performing to his hype so he is a stud.
-Bijohn and Smith are not bad but it is hard to tell if they are good with the containment strategy. Capps is serviceable as well behind Bijohn, but the backups are questionable. Hays and I guess Malone are the backups. It would be a miracle if the light came on for Malone after the switch to Dline. We need his size and decent athleticism to take a few snaps in the rotation at NG.

Two or three teams other than the top three are going to win 8-9 games. Mizzou can’t play defense, does not have any consistency on offense against decent defenses, and seems headed for a coaching change. Ole Miss is getting close to John L. Smith territory. Tennessee may have quit on Butch Jones.

Florida might end up winning 10 games, but their defense is going to continue to be under enormous pressure to play great every week. They still are a good bet to win at least 8. Kentucky’s schedule has a lot of wins in the front half, and a lot of tough games in the back half. They will have to go 3-3 in the second half of their schedule to get to 8.

LSU is in trouble. They are 3-2 now, and their game with Florida in Gainesville this week is huge for both teams. A &M looks like a team living on borrowed time. They will have to go 3-3 in their remaining conference games to get to 8, and that leaves them little room for error with Auburn, Bama, and a road game at Florida still on the schedule.

State’s off week comes at a really good time for them. Their games against Kentucky and A& M will be really important, as they need both of those before they play Bama, and their game at Fayetteville as usual, sandwiched between Bama and the Egg Bowl, is a tough game for MSU to be emotionally ready to play.

South Carolina really has trouble scoring points. If Bentley gets hurt, and they have lots of trouble protecting him, it could get ugly. They play hard on defense, but they are not an elite defense, and that really makes it tough on them when they have trouble scoring 20 points a game. They are heavily reliant on Bentley finding a way to win. Obviously the game with Arkansas is huge for them, since they still have Georgia, Florida and Clemson to play.

The Hogs offense has woken up a bit, despite OT play. It was nice to see Jones and Stewart do some good things at WR yesterday, and Nance is very sold. The defense is about where I thought it would be after September, a work in progress. Tackling is better, and the busts are getting fewer. Getting more pass rush has to be a priority. Might have the kickoff units fixed at this point, but until proven otherwise we can’t kick FGs. All in all, we are right there with a bunch of other flawed teams trying to put it together enough to have a good season. Like a lot of these teams, we don’t have much room for error to get to 8 wins.

Our Dline gets good pressure when Ramsey is down next to Sosa. Ramsey ties up a blocker that normally helped on Sosa. It is a cascade effect that also helps Bijohn as the RG switches to help with Sosa.
-I think the Dline is asked to do some contain more than expected, so that could be why we don’t get much pressure at times. I think it is a knee jerk reaction to say we CAN’T pressure the QB, but I also won’t say we have a good Dline. We need another stud on the DLine to draw a double team next to SOSA so one of them will get a 1 on 1 with the OL. Sosa is performing to his hype so he is a stud.
-Bijohn and Smith are not bad but it is hard to tell if they are good with the containment strategy. Capps is serviceable as well behind Bijohn, but the backups are questionable. Hays and I guess Malone are the backups. It would be a miracle if the light came on for Malone after the switch to Dline. We need his size and decent athleticism to take a few snaps in the rotation at NG.

I know the question was about the top three but Aubie is not equal to the other two by some distance. Smart has made the SEC east relevant again. I underestimated him.

Bama is for real. Georgia can be beaten!

Those are the top 2!

Auburn is a pretender They can be beaten.

I have thought about this. We beat Florida last year! They played in the SEC championship game. So how is it that the media talks so much trash about the hogs.

The SEC network, PB show and other announcers talk trash and down about our hogs. I can’t stand them. In the A&M game they all made a point to talk about the bad call aginst A&M that took a TD away. Also the SEC office was quick to release a statement. None of them said a word about the no call for holing by A&M that got Kirk to the outside for the kickoff return for the TD!
The hogs can beat every team on the schedule. It’s poissible. Last year AA threw for I think 400 yards aginst Bama.
We played give away and handed the Tide 21 points in turnovers. It is unlikely that game will probably be a loss !
Auburn we can beat them.
MooU can have thier bells stuck up thier nose and beaten.
Chickens can easily be beaten I hope our coaches look at tape and see that pressure on the QB is how A&M beat the Chickens
LSU that’s one game that if the hogs show up with an attitude can win.
Ole Miss. out score them
Misery. we should not get beat by them again.

8 wins is possible.

This team needs to take it one game at a time and improve each week.

It would be the end of the world no matter what happens. Some is going to take a loss each week in each game. I doubt there enough coaches in the country to fire half of them each week or year. .