Wally and his wet dream for ASU -----------------

----------------- If the idea of playing a lesser school instate is such a great idea for the higher ranked school, why is ASU not doing it?

Answer: September 24, 2016. UCA 28 - ASU 23.

ASU has nothing to gain and a lot to lose if it plays UCA every year and gives UCA a chance to grow into an equal or more. If that is no big deal, this game saves money on travel, gets more state fans interested, and helps out the lesser school so no problem just like they claim a UofA game would. Right? Hello? I am only hearing crickets from ASU land and its few bored sportswriter agitators.

2 Likes

What did ASU lose after they lost to UCA?

I am not aware of the inside info, but I did not see anything that says the Hogs will play ASU but allows general thought on it Is there any real chance the Arkansas coaches want to actually play them?

I just want Arkansas competitive in football again. That’s it. Play ASU or don’t. If we are good in football, we beat ASU 9.5 times out of 10 anyway. I frankly don’t care.

2 Likes

The better question is what do they see to gain if they play them every year. Not much, apparently, since they chose not to do that. Apparently, ASU thinks they lost a lot and don’t want it to happen again.

1 Like

You said ASU has a lot to lose playing UCA. You got specifics?

The problem they have, they had nothing to lose from the start by playing/losing to UCA.

2 Likes

ASU agrees with me, not you, on the wisdom of letting a lesser program get a chance to profit when there is no benefit to you to play them. This is a fact because of the absence of UCA on their future schedules. I suspect ASU thinks that future recruits and donors may see UCA as a better choice than ASU if it proves, again in the future, it is competitive with ASU on the field. You will have to ask them what they are afraid of.

They will face off against each other next year.

So, lets all set back and watch how that works out and see if ASU can prove it to be a wise move. Once every five years is not proof.

Wally must be a closet Red Wolf fan. He used to hate the Hogs along with Fred Morrow, the sports editor of the Arkansas Democrat. Remember those days when Wally worked for Fred? The guy absolutely despised the Razorbacks. Maybe some of that rubbed off on Wally.

What is not needed is hatred like there is in Mississippi and Alabama between Mississippi State and Ole Miss and Alabama and Auburn. Those are not friendly rivalries. Those rivalries divide those states in so many ways. We have a flagship school in Arkansas in the SEC, the University of Arkansas. Why tamper with that? It is not needed or necessary.

3 Likes

Agreed!

2 Likes

Now, that I agree with 100%

Wally always resented Frank. He thought Frank favored Orville & the Gazette. Of course, Wally was always critical of the hogs. He was highly critical of Nolan. His boss, J.R. Starr, hated Broyles. Wally sucked up big time to Mike Newall when UALR was winning big in basketball.

UCA has lots to gain at ASU’s expense. There are more great athletes in Arkansas closer to Conway than to Jonesboro. If UCA can show, on the field, they are competitive with ASU, then they can get more of those athletes to chose them instead of ASU. Same danger in terms of potential donors, media coverage, etc. There is a natural attraction to an underdog that successfully challenges a more powerful opponent,it broadens their fan base, it really charges up their supporters, and UCA would like to profit from that. Just like ASU hopes to at the UofA’s expense. The only reason ASU is only playing UCA every five years is they hope it will get them their UofA game and will be worth the damage to their program in the long run.

Arkansas and ASU will play soon. It’s going to happen.

Within 6 years?

HY made that obvious.

If it does, do you think it will be a token once every five years in Fayetteville or a “save WMS” annual event in LR?

I’m betting it’s going to be the “save WMS” scenario. That’s what is most fair to ASU. (Only slightly kidding. That will be what the ASU fans will want. Soon if not immediately.)