Vermont Vs Providence here is the game to watch

This team is very fundamentally sound,very well coached and start 5 SR’s.they move much better than I thought they could on defense and run that back door cut offense that has give us fits before,They have a big tree trunk C down low who can and will step out and hit the 3 as well as score in the post with a hook. We are going to have to move the ball and be patient in our decision making on offense bc they know what they are doing on defense.
We will have to shoot the ball much better than we have to win this game,I think we are more physical and athletic and should win by 10 if we play well

Great find, @youdaman. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Providence is ranked 13th in the final AP poll so they are similar to where we ended the year. Vermont did not slow up or give in one bit the entire game so we really need to stay focused for 40 minutes, limit turnovers, keep the pressure on them and if the threes are not falling, Don’t keep jacking it! Find another way to score.

2 Likes

We can get a good shot against these guys if you’ll just keep moving the ball you can’t have one person out there driibbling and decide to shoot up a 30-footer that’s exactly what they would want you to do

1 Like

What’s Muss’s record when he has more than 4 days to prepare for a team? Pretty good.

I so hope we get a chance to see what we can do with a similar prep time for Gonzaga.

3 Likes

The center is very offensive minded. He has a quick first step, but if he’s more than 10 feet out he’s going to his right. Inside post-moves are good. You can tell he does not see a lot of height in his conference, because he tries to block too many shots. He is not quick footed in post-defense, so Vermont tried to double quite a bit, which was not done that well and created holes in their defense.

They beat Providence down the floor several times off misses, and tried to several other times. They came out with a defensive strategy to try to get Providence to shoot threes(every defender playing off ball had one or both feet inside the lane on a lot of first half possessions), but they still had trouble with interior defense, probably because most of their guys are not quick enough to guard hard cuts into the interior.

Shugar is an excellent ball handler, passer and scorer. He uses cross overs and first step quickness to get around defenders, even in traffic, and he is pretty good at punishing help defense. They don’t have a second dangerous ballhandler(though several will straight line drive to the basket if given room), and I think we can change up defenders on him to give him different styles(Notae, Devo, Toney) and wear him down.

1 Like

Yeah they will double team the ball in the post every time but we really don’t have J Will in the post down low hardly ever so I’m thinking we may get the ball to Jay will at the free throw line and look to hit cutters break into the basket. Vermont is very well coached though, their defense is very solid, they move better than I thought they did, I think JD can get into the lane and present some problems for them.I really like Stanley being able to shoot over anybody they have guarding him… I think this game just comes down to us being patient and not rushing long shot when we can get a better shot. I think we will have to do a very good job of watching the back cutters because they do that exceptionally well which gives him a lot of layups, we have not done a good job with that in the past, hopefully Thursday night will be better.

Y’all are about to talk me into worrying about this game. Well, y’all & some of the other pundits I’ve read. I know Vt hasn’t played anybody, but the nobodies they’ve played have gotten the crap beat out of them. They might be like our 1975-76 team. We beat everyone except Memphis St but got no respect because we played in the admittedly weak SWC. We were good even if we did lose to Wake Forrest in the opening round of the NCAA. (Seems like there were only 48 teams in the tournament then, but still…)

We are the better team, more athletic, more physical but if we go out there chunking bricks like we did the other day it’s going to be tough. I don’t think they will beat themselves unless we just pressure them into making mistakes.
They have not faced a team like us athletically since Providence probably and I noticed in that tape that Providence was able to make them turn the ball over quite a bit .I hope that’s what we’re able to do which will get us into transition and hopefully get a good lead. We play the way we’re capable and we will win by 10 points is my prediction. I think we need to get off to a good start so we can get some confidence and maybe make them start playing faster than they want to. I trust Muss to have us ready

1 Like

The game was never in doubt for Providence. They had a 15 point lead with a minute and a half left in the game.

2 Likes

Yeah Vermont shoots the ball like that against us I think we would do the same thing to them.

Vermont’s margin for error will be pretty small. First, they have to shoot the ball well, not turn the ball over much, and make a high percentage of foul shots. I don’t think they can win if they fail in any of those areas.

Second, a lot has to go right for them on defense. If we shoot 35% on threes, they will be in huge trouble. If Davis or especially Shugar get into foul trouble, they are in big trouble. They have to live with putting less capable defenders on Toney, Umude and Devo, and hope none of those three goes off.

Third, they have not played in many close games in the last two months, and they have not had to come from behind. Even though they are an old team, they are not a team that has had to overcome a lot of adversity. I will be very interested to see how they react if they get hit in the face with a big run anytime after the first ten minutes of the game.

3 Likes

Reading this makes me wonder how they are not seeded higher. I think our toughness and length will cause them problems and not sure they can keep us off the glass. We are better and we win by 18.

3 Likes

Arkansas will beat this pathetic, podunk team by 30. Vermont has seen defense like what Arkansas is gonna throw at them.

2 Likes

Just win by double digits. Play solid D and it won’t be an issue.

VT. plays in a 3600 capacity facility and the Key Bank Center holds 19,200. A lot more depth issues on their three’s. If we stick to our strong man defense and don’t help down low (for the pass out and three ball), we will be more than fine. Muss knows how to shut down a two man team and that’s where their talent lies.

2 Likes

32!

1 Like

Of all the reviews on this thread I think yours is the most accurate.
Having watched Vermont all season what you say is all true.
Your first point does point out their main strengths. They shoot well and sometimes shoot amazingly well. They spread the floor and pass the ball better than the Hogs. They do not run the back door cuts as well as we do because they do not have Toney and Umude. Mazzula is the best at it. I have no idea which Devo will show up and neither does anyone else. So he is a big question mark. They also get fouled a lot, like Arkansas, and do shoot free throws well. Basically they are fundamentally sound in all aspects.
As to your second point they are going to have trouble with Jalen. He is faster than Davis and a better passer. But Davis can shoot threes pretty well with a very high arch on his shot. Jalen will need to be aware of that. As for us shooting 35 % from three point range. I have more faith in Vermont doing that than us. Sullivan is a wild card. He has had very hot shooting games and very cold shooting games, like JD. He can really hurt you if he is hot. It is similar to when Umude gets hot. It adds a deadly boost.
No doubt loosing Davis or Shungu would hurt them a lot, but so does losing JD or Jalen hurt us. When Devo does not show up for games Vermont’s bench is deeper than ours. At least Becker has had the luxury and the desire to play his bench more.
Thirdly they, like Arkansas, have played in close games early on, but go on a roll late and sometimes to a blowout. It should be noted their lone league loss came in OT, on the road, without Davis or Mazzula.
People wanting to focus on the Providence game is the same as people wanting to focus on our Vanderbilt game. They, like we, are a much better team now. The exception is that Providence is much better than Vanderbilt. But Arkansas has played a MUCH harder schedule down the stretch and that will pay off in the end.
On a personal note I am very sad that these two teams face each other in round one. I am an Arkansas grad who grew up in Vermont and is stuck living in Texas. I have great loyalty to both states, but my loyalty in sports is always to Arkansas and will be this time too. I don’t think Vermont will beat us. I just think it will be a much better game than those on here that blow them off having not even watched them do. Some of the comments are truly ignorant.
This was a good analysis and open minded.

2 Likes

Gonna be a lot of disappointed Vermont bettors.

2 Likes