Vanderbilt Outplayed Us

Plain and simple. Their timely hitting and solid pitching games 1&3 were the difference. Todays pitcher was awesome and kept our hitters guessing. We didn’t barrel up many balls today. I’m no expert, but I wonder if our guys are trying to HR every swing instead of making solid contact for hitting for average inside the park? I’m not giving up on this team bc they are talented…maybe it’ll click in post season

3 Likes

The hogs fail in the little things!

We are an all or nothing offense. We either hit some home runs or we lose. We are not skilled in the little things that an offense does to win when the home runs don’t come.

They don’t seem to hit well when the wind is blowing in, that’s for sure. The wind shifted about midway through that rain delay yesterday and blew in from left field the entire game. We had the windows open in the press box and it was constantly gusting in our face.

The leadoff centerfielder for Vandy was amazing, he’s like a video game, if he gets on base you might as well write it down as a double or a triple because he WILL be stealing a base, also he took several doubles away from our hitters with his speed to the alleys.

1 Like

With his speed, Bradfield will be on a fast track to the majors. Turner was right on the money with some of his throws this week. Bradfield is just too good. That’s why he’s 40 for 40.

3 Likes

He reminds me if the base stealwrs of the 80s. Willy Mcgee, Vince Coleman, Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines, Willie Wilson, Ozzie Smith

Just amazing speed.

1 Like

Vandy seems to seek and find more of these good hitting, fast on the base paths and athletic in the field (mostly black) than we do. I am sure DVH tries to get them too but it seems Vandy is better at that than we are. Having someone who can turn every bunt or bloop single into a triple or double with their base steeling is a huge weapon. Would love to see one of those in a Razorback uniform some day.

You take Bradfield away from Vandy and they are nowhere near the same team. He ate us alive and was by far the biggest difference in the series. He was hitting below 300 when the series started and he went 8 for 12 that is totally unacceptable

1 Like

Bradfield was 7 for 14 the week before at Georgia. He had been on a tear before he got to Fayetteville.

Wow then he must have been really struggling before Georgia because he came into this series hitting 297 so that 7-14 must have really brought him up some to that point. He looks like a guy who likes the ball away from him.

Bubba commented multiple times that he couldn’t see a hole in his swing.

1 Like

He give him first base in Game 1 and pitch to the next man in the 10th inning.

1 Like

I would be willing to bet it when he gets to the next level they try to run the fastball in on his hands and probably sliders down and in on his hands because they are very hard to keep Fair. He’s a great hitter but he has very long arms tough to get the arms out of the way with something 95 inside. He is a fabulous athlete though I enjoy watching him play but just not against us LOL. Tennessee is the best pitching he has seen and he was 2-11 so he can be gotten out.

1 Like

I thought Bradfield hit it where it was pitched. The home run he hit in extra innings was a breaker down and in. Obviously, he hasn’t hit like that all year because he would be hitting. .500 if he was. Sometimes a hitter just sees it well in a stretch. When that happens you might try to pitch around him, but you can’t with him. A walk might be a triple.

Yeah he definitely read breaking ball and had time to drop his hands and go get it. if you come in on him it’s going to have to be with something hard. He is a prototypical leadoff hitter I wish we could get someone close to being as good as he is someday. But they don’t come around like that very often I do realize that.

1 Like

Hitting is streaky. We all know that. The best have slumps occasionally. Likewise, they can have a great string of games & hits. We caught him in a hot streak. His speed, once on base, is just hard to beat. Not much you can do about that. Maybe Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey, or Johnny Bench could have handled him.

I have not seen another player like him in the SEC. That is a skill set not usually seen in college. The MLB scouts who did not think he was a first rounder should turn in their stop watch and radar guns.

1 Like

He’s a first round draft choice for sure. His speed is elite because not only is he quick he’s a long Strider and that’s a incredibly tough combination and that’s what makes him so valuable in the outfield too he literally outruns the ball. He’s the best leadoff hitter I’ve seen.

1 Like

I will agree with you there he is seeing them all well.