UVA-Old Dominion Early Birds

The Columbia Regional final was postponed last night due to weather. It began this morning at 9:00am (currently on ESPN2). I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a baseball game start so early.

How bizarre would it be to see people streaming into Baum around 8:00am on a Tuesday for a regional final? I actually think our fans would make it pretty fun.

A lot of fans would be calling in sick to work if a hogs baseball game was postponed like that.

3 Likes

South Carolina ballpark is basically empty for this game. When I see this park I will always think about the announcers for our game there. Bush league homers for sure.

2 Likes

Virginia is bringing in its Friday night ace with two outs in the ODU sixth. Apparently he did this on Tuesday in the ACC tournament two weeks ago. This is his normal day to throw, so evidently he’ll be available to start Saturday in the super. If they get there.

And the ODU guy beats the shift, grounding to exactly where the shortstop normally would be but he was on the right side of second base in the shift. ODU leads.

ODU’s starter went 5.1 innings perfect, then was pulled as soon as he gave up his first hit. Virginia got two runs in the seventh with the help of a video review that correctly overturned a double play; the ODU 1B trapped the ball between his glove and leg, No DP and the next batter singled in the go-ahead run. UVa up 2-1.

Virginia is up 2-1 in top of 8th. They have their closer in who throws sidearm big time.

ODU has tied it up in the 8th and has two runners on with two outs. Then they got an RBI single with another runner thrown out at the plate.

ODU just took the lead in the 8th and had a runner thrown out at plate.

I’m rooting for Virginia. Like to have the team HR crown this year. But ODU is impressive.

1 Like

If VA wins, that side of the CWS bracket, will have 4 regional upsets in the Supers, three, 3 seeds and one 4 seed. Our side of the CWS bracket has only one regional upset team, NC St, who we are playing in our Super. That’s probably going to make our side of the CWS bracket the toughest since, if we win, every team on our side of the bracket will be original #1 seeds.

If VA wins, it will guarantee a #3 seed will be in the CWS because they are teamed with Dallas Baptist, a 3 seed, in the Super.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/baseball/d1/2021

3-3 going to the bottom of the 9th. ODU’s closer threw two straight wild pitches to let the tying run score in the 8th, and got pulled.

UVa won it in 10. That means there will be a 3 seed in Omaha, either UVa or Dallas Baptist.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.