USMNT and Mexico now ranked in FIFA top 10

First time the USMNT has been in the world top 10 since 2006. That’s important as next year’s World Cup approaches (assuming we make it) because top 10 teams can be seeded and avoid other highly rated teams in the group stage. Kinda like getting a high seed in the Big Dance.

USA jumped from 20th to 10th, while Mexico rose from 11th to 9th despite losing to the US in both the Nations League and Gold Cup finals. Today was the first rankings update since late May.

The women’s ranking was not updated today. USWNT remains #1.

I pretty much only follow the national teams but I am not what you would call “An educated Soccer” individual. But I think there is quite a drop in play from #8 to #9 and #10. Those top 8 are very skilled and very good.

My friends in Germany must be aghast that USA
is ranked ahead of them. And even more that they are out of the top ten.

I’m sure your friends are just blaming it on Jogi (Der Boogermeister) Low, who is out the door anyway.

We’ll see if Hansi Flick can patch the leaks in Die Mannschaft.

I like seeing the USA in the top 10 but I don’t think it is warranted yet. I will have to be convinced during the WC qualifiers. I had the opportunity to buy USA Jamaica tickets here in Austin but I couldn’t quite bite on the price…

USMNT won two major competitions this summer, one with the C team in the Gold Cup. Are we better than Denmark or Germany? Can’t say for certain we are, but can’t say we aren’t either.

But none of that is worth anything if we don’t get results in the Octagonal, starting in three weeks in El Salvador. Top three go to Qatar, fourth place gets a playoff with somebody from Asia, South America or Oceania. I’m guessing it will take 20+ points out of the 14 matches.

I am just celebrating being in the Top 10. We will worry about qualifiers next month. But your point is valid. They have to qualify in the Octagon either first or second to hold the ranking.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.