"Univ of Arkansas at Fayetteville".

There was a thread yesterday about this. Today I noticed for the first time this appears to be a full blown policy at the ADG–refer to the UA as “at Fayetteville.” I don’t know how long this has been going on, but I’ve never seen it so consistently used. Maybe I just missed it, but it’s disgusting.

Matt even used the term. At first I thought he wasn’t when his article referred to the “Arkansas Razorbacks” then a paragraph later there was the phrase, “University of Arkansas at Fayetteville…”. (BTW, unless it’s changed, even the proper term was University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Only the other campuses had “at”)

I’ve toyed with the idea of cancelling my subscription for some time. This might be just the incentive I need.

I re-checked your baseball game story, Matt. There it was in the second paragraph, so apparently this is a policy now & must’ve been inserted by the copy desk. That makes it even more annoying. Thanks for the info. I will indeed write the paper, but I know how much good that’ll do–none.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock now wants to be as “Little Rock.” If they want their own identity, maybe they can find their own money.

Can anyone explain why this is a big deal? There’s been like 5 threads about this recently and for the life of me can’t understand why everyone seems so upset.

Day drinking? Think about what you posted and try to be rational. :lol:

Because we’re the University of Arkansas. Period. That’s what we were for the first 100 years of our existence. We took in other campuses in the 1970’s. They became part of our system & allowed them to use our name, but with the designation “at” For years, people who really dislike the UA, especially people at ASU have made a point of calling us UAF or some other similar designation as a point to disparage the UA. Until recently the ADG felt no need to add this “at Fayetteville” designation. In other words, it’s gone 45 years without feeling the need to do this. Now, all of a sudden, they think no one will know who they’re talking about if they just say “University of Arkansas” or “Arkansas.”

If it’s no big deal to you, fine. Ignore the threads.

[quote=“Neastarkie”]

Because we’re the University of Arkansas. Period. That’s what we were for the first 100 years of our existence. We took in other campuses in the 1970’s. They became part of our system & allowed them to use our name, but with the designation “at” For years, people who really dislike the UA, especially people at ASU have made a point of calling us UAF or some other similar designation as a point to disparage the UA. Until recently the ADG felt no need to add this “at Fayetteville” designation. In other words, it’s gone 45 years without feeling the need to do this. Now, all of a sudden, they think no one will know who they’re talking about if they just say “University of Arkansas” or “Arkansas.”

If it’s no big deal to you, fine. Ignore the threads.
[/quote]Thanks for the response.

It isn’t a big deal to me, that is why I asked the question. It seems like a big deal to some, thus I asked the question. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

An article in today’s paper about ASU-J revising a contract includes the following phrases:

“A new agreement between Arkansas State University in Jonesboro and…”

“The Jonesboro university first signed agreements…”

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017 … ters-pact/”>http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/feb/26/mexican-college-all-set-asu-alters-pact/</LINK_TEXT>

Just pointing out that including the city identifier is not unique to UA-F.

*note: there are three threads going on this topic. Sorry for the repost.

I have noticed this too, and am offended by it. Sometimes these decisions are made by low level management personnel, often a graduate of one of these wannabe colleges like UALR. I don’t think Walter Hussman wants to denigrate the state’s flagship University.

No one said it’s never appropriate to put Fayetteville into the story. Sometimes it’s the only way to distinguish. Examples include stories about budgets about all schools in the state. Obviously one needs to distinguish which campus in that context.

I can’t tell what the context of the “ASU in Jonesboro” is so I don’t know if they’re saying the contract happened in Jonesboro or just pointing out that’s where the ASU campus happens to be. It uses the word “in” rather than “at” so I have no idea what it’s about. The other sentence is just another way of referring to the school without repeating the same phrase. That’s a simple writing technique & isn’t the kind of thing we’re upset about.

What we’re talking about is different. It’s a completely awkward way to refer to the UA. Read the stories we’re talking about. It’s silly & awkward to say “the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville Razorbacks.” Obviously UALR is different. It goes by UALR or even “Little Rock.” When national news outlets refer to it they say “Arkansas-Little Rock” to be sure no one confuses it with the UA because the Arkansas Razorbacks are nationally known. The Trojans are not. However, this an Arkansas paper. Everyone reading it knows when they’re talking about the UA instead of UALR.

The old way of describing things isn’t unique to Arkansas. Everyone knows the University of California, i.e. “Cal” is at Berkeley. Everyone also knows the University of California Los Angeles, i.e. “UCLA” is in L.A. When papers refer to Cal or occasionally U of Calif., they rarely thrown in “Berkeley.” Likewise when papers refer to UCLA they don’t say the “Univ of California at Los Angeles Bruins.”

Nothing like that is a low level decision.

Richard, how much can you tell us about who decided & why? If you can’t say, I understand, but this sudden change seems awfully dumb to me. The UA has been a system with more than one campus for nearly 50 years now & there was never a problem using the old designations before.

I am not saying the intent from the ADG is this, but for years the ASU hacks have campaigned to have UofA referred to as “UAF” (in one manner or another). The reason is to make UofA A school in Arkansas instead of THE school in Arkansas. Little things like this may sound trivial, but ask marketing folks about such things. Little things matter.

The school at Fayetteville is the University of Arkansas. Nothing else is needed.

I can’t say for sure it was true, but it was posted years ago (don’t have a clue who posted it) during a similar discussion that UNLV lead a push to have Nevada Reno called Nevada Reno instead of the University of Nevada for this very reason. If they had to add “LV” to the end of their name, then an R should be added to the name of their competition. Lets me honest, “the University of Arkansas at Monticello” sounds like a branch school. “The University of Arkansas at Little Rock” sounds LESS impressive than “the University of Arkansas.” Adding “at Fayetteville” takes away something, in mine, and obviously many others, opinion.

I promise you there’s no agenda.

Even without an agenda, it (1) is stupid and (2) minimizes the school. Just my opinion!

I just posted an e-mail address in another thread for people to voice their opinions.

Thank you and I appreciate you.

I think the term “University of Arkansas - Fayetteville” is demeaning to the Fayetteville flag ship campus. Everyone knows the UA is that flag ship. The term UofA - Fay is absolutely a means to change the perception of the flag ship campus. You can bet Wally Hall is behind this and he doesn’t have the baills to confront his reporters. The other universities under the Uof A system include, UALR, UAPB, and some others.

Wally’s people call my home sometimes twice a day trying to convince me to re-subscribe to their rag. I originally quit them primarily because of Wally. The a fore mentioned term is an embarrassment to me as a fan and should be to the University of Arkansas.

I’m from the generation where you only had to say “The University” and everyone knew what it meant. I still say it and everyone still knows what it means whether they admit it or not.

I understand the point you and many others are making. I also read the article I quoted and understand its context.

I just don’t happen to think the F (or J) is a big deal.

First world problems…but you folks carry on.