Unique Formation

Watching the Penn-Cornell game earlier, Penn had a couple of unique formations. in the shotgun formation, they came out with three lined up in an eye behind the quarterback before shifting two to one side of the QB. The quarterback then faked to the RB behind him and ran behind the two to his side.

On another play, the three lined up in a T-formation even with the QB before shifting again for a QB run. They probably had a pass out of both of these formations but did not watch long enough to see. I’d never see either of these formations out of the shotgun formation.

I like these odd type of formations and plays. The more experienced you become, the more you can run them.

My high school teams (1970-72 at Little Rock Centeral) were not very good, but had some unique flavor to the offense. Jerry Welch, the coach, had the lineman with 10-yard splits to take advantage of a jet of a quarterback. It was designed to find a one on one battle somewhere on the field for a run. It made for a strange game.

This was a .500 team that was short in talent. Not sure whether this stuff helped or hurt. But it sure was interesting.

I have always beleived you had to have 3-4 trickeration type plays for the big games b/c the great teams will always pretty much take away your go to to stuff through film watching.

I think when you see the Chad Morris teams become experienced (and talented) you will see three or four new plays each week. This team added some things through the years, but sometimes couldn’t execute it and Morris said those things might have to be discarded on Thursday when it was apparent the players couldn’t run it. Instead of adding, they were eliminating plays and making it simpler.

I’m really getting old, I remember when Little Rock Cenral was one of the best teams in the whole country. I remember one year they beat a state champ from Oklahoma Texas and Louisiana. Of course, there was only Central and LR Catholic high and Dunbar in the city and history changed things.

I think Dunbar was the junior high. The high school was Horace Mann. I actually played in a basketball tournament at Horace Mann when I was a sophomore at Little Rock Central. Mann always hosted a 10th grade tournament in January. All of the big schools (Pine Bluff, El Dorado, Ole Main, Northeast, Parkview, etc.) sent 10th grade teams to play. I started along side Fred Allen, Danny McDaniel and Harry Couch. Fred and Danny also started on the varsity squad along with Bruce Mitchell, Johnny Johnson and Randy Elrod.

We played Mann in the finals of the tournament and won easily. That was an interesting game. I was one of only a handful of white people in the gym. I think we won by 30 or 40 points. That gym was usually raucous, but it was strangely quiet that day.

I think that was the beginning of the end for Horace Mann. To lose that badly to Little Rock Central on its own court was a bad sign. Of course, Mann had always fielded good basketball. But the top black players were finally picking Central over Mann. The varsity team at Mann was still pretty good because they had Maurice Scarbrough, a trasnfer from Brooklyn. Maurice looked like he was 35. He would later start four years at Ouachita Baptist.

I saw a lot of Maurice Scarborough at OBU. That was when dunks were illegal in college basketball, but the refs would stay in their room during pregame warmups and the layup line before every Henderson-Ouachita game would be a dunk fest. Which served to hype the atmosphere (which was already plenty hyped) even more. Maurice could seriously throw them down. So could HSU’s Enos Mitchell, at 5-9. The games were almost an afterthought to the layup line. Well, scratch that. For 40 minutes, everybody in red hated everybody in purple and vice versa. You might be in class or at work with them the next morning, or in church on Sunday, but that night, you were mortal enemies.

Never saw an OBU-Henderson game, but I was at many a Hendrix-UCA game. The chants back and forth between the student sections were often crude and/or entertaining. There were quite a few Hendrix guys (but that’s not what we called them) who dated UCA gals. But it took some guts for the UCA gals to sit with their dates (or vice versa) at those games. By the way, the gal/guy ratio at UCA in those days was staggering, about 6 to 1 more gals. If you were a guy at UCA in those days, you probably had some issues if you couldn’t get a date.

I never will forget one night, this would have been about '74 or '75. Game at OBU’s Rockefeller Fieldhouse, which is now Bill Vining Arena. Shortly before tipoff, they asked everyone to stand for the invocation. The normal deafening noise level quieted for a few seconds and one Henderson student took the opportunity to give his rather crude opinion of the Ouachita student body, both genders. With everyone quiet, the entire arena heard what he said and the place erupted. Not sure they ever got the invocation done that night.

I’m sure there were HSU girls who dated OBU guys and vice versa. Students often crossed the street and took a class or two at the other school if it was one they needed or wanted. But I’m not sure they went to the basketball games with their dates.

Lou Holtz used to tell his teams that if an opponent ran a trick play they should feel good about what they are doing, because it means the opponent doesn’t believe it can win straight up.

Why are you giving me this information now? You’re about 5 decades too late!

:frowning:

So sorry. I think the UCA guys were trying to keep it a secret at the time.

Johnny Outlaw & Coach Stephens recruited me to play at UCA, just after the school was changed from SCA. One of the last things mentioned by Johnny was - oh by the way the female to male ratio is 6-7 to 1, but you won’t have time for that. Lol